What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 R4 Sun - Newcastle 24-14 Canberra @ McDonald Jones

Round 4: Newcastle v Canberra

• Newcastle Knights

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Canberra Raiders

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sphagnum

Coach
Man of the Match: Gerard Sutton (Knights)

What can you say about this performance? Sutton was everywhere for the Knights, scoring 4 tries, incorrectly ensuring the Raiders were down to 12 for 10 minutes, and even denying the Raiders 2 tries that should have been awarded.

He single-handedly got the Knights over the line.
When Wighton gets suspended are you going to admit that Sutton is better than you?

perverse

Referee
Raiders don’t look like they have any game plans outside of making metres up the middle.

Wighton looks threatening but there’s little to no creativity in the plays.

It was nothing but one out hit ups for most of the game.

Disappointing from a side with plenty of quality players.
They play up the middle because that's where their quality is. Their backline is really shit. I just watched them for 80 minutes and had to visit nrl.com to check who the hell was playing halfback for them.

skeepe

Immortal
At some point, Ricky needs to be held accountable.

We have a premiership-winning squad and should be 4-0 right now. Sure, the 3 games we lost were all due to refereeing incompetence, but we still should have won.

Ricky has to answer for that.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
They play up the middle because that's where their quality is. Their backline is really shit. I just watched them for 80 minutes and had to visit nrl.com to check who the hell was playing halfback for them.
Yea we have decent pack but little depth in the backs.

Bazal

Post Whore
It’s soo true mate , he’ll come up with some bullshit exactly like that

"There's 133 lads there in the sheds hurtin'. It's not just the players, it's their families, the trainers, the masseur, the kit bloke, Don Furner, my mates who send me texers, the lads from the Croatia Deakin club, my neighbour who has to put up with me swearin' at the telly doin' video. They're all in the sheds now hurtin' and it's all because of the ref not me I'm a genius."

Chief_Chujo

First Grade

We have a premiership-winning squad and should be 4-0 right now. Sure, the 3 games we lost were all due to refereeing incompetence, but we still should have won.

Mate we do not have a premmy squad. Compare us to the Roosters, Penrith, South's etc. We have a good pack and when we get our backs out of hospital we may be able to make a run.

perverse

Referee

Sometimes you push just that little too far and the mask slips a bit. Appreciate you skeepe.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
With all the momentum created by the forwards, the backline should still be able to do some damage.
Missing cotric, savage, rapa, fog. I don't wanna make excuses for today but a large part of our attack is sidelined.

Plus jack played one of his worst games ever.

mongoose

Coach
Raiders don’t look like they have any game plans outside of making metres up the middle.

Wighton looks threatening but there’s little to no creativity in the plays.

It was nothing but one out hit ups for most of the game.

Disappointing from a side with plenty of quality players.
Even in 2019 we relied on crash balls and Wighton just carving teams up with his running game. We also had Leilua and Rapana creating something out of nothing, Bateman too. There was never really any structure or smart attacking play though. In 2016 we were a great attacking side under Stuart, don't know what happened after that.

Sphagnum

Coach
Left the ground, sure but that’s not illegal.

High? Don’t make me laugh. I suggest a visit to your nearest optometrist, as quickly as possible.
Look, I reckon I’m more tilted about this game than you are but you’re clutching here mate

1679814905060.png

Exsilium

First Grade
Missing cotric, savage, rapa, fog. I don't wanna make excuses for today but a large part of our attack is sidelined.

Plus jack played one of his worst games ever.

Thats true. Savage is much better at the back.

Rapana and Cotric are solid. Especially out of your end.

I think the biggest issue is the coaching. All those metres and no execution.

skeepe

Immortal
Mate we do not have a premmy squad. Compare us to the Roosters, Penrith, South's etc. We have a good pack and when we get our backs out of hospital we may be able to make a run.

i just don’t agree.

Savage
Cotric
Croker
Timoko
Rapana

That’s a great backline. Good enough to win it all. Then a top shelf halves pairing, and the best forward pack in the game.

We should be top 4 this year. Easily.

Exsilium

First Grade
Even in 2019 we relied on crash balls and Wighton just carving teams up with his running game. We also had Leilua and Rapana creating something out of nothing, Bateman too. There was never really any structure or smart attacking play though. In 2016 we were a great attacking side under Stuart, don't know what happened after that.

A lot of teams are struggling with continuity this year. I can’t put my finger on it but the line speed over the 80 minutes is intense. Momentum is heavily influenced by officiating this season and it’s hurting a lot of sides.