What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 4 vs Canberra @ McDonald Jones Stadium, New Lambton

Who will win? Round 4: Newcastle v Canberra

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Canberra Raiders 1-12

• Canberra Raiders 13+

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mozza91

Coach
Very good win. Some pretty enterprising attack and plenty of effort in defence.

Been stoked with the last 3 weeks . The Tigers win was brave as all f**k. The effort with a heap of players missing was great last week and today they looked quite polished. Bloody proud of the useless pricks.

PhilGould

Bench
Marzhew
23 runs for 253m, 96pcm
2 tries
2 linebreaks
10 tackle breaks
3 tackles @ 100% efficiency
0 errors

If it was always this way with him he wouldn't have been swapped for Chris Randall, but can't ask for anything more than that on debut.

Jono078

Referee
Marzhew
23 runs for 253m, 96pcm
2 tries
2 linebreaks
10 tackle breaks
3 tackles @ 100% efficiency
0 errors

If it was always this way with him he wouldn't have been swapped for Chris Randall, but can't ask for anything more than that on debut.
From what I've followed, that's just about the standard for him.

I'm sure there'll be days where there'll be errors and perhaps a bad tackle attempt or two, but I still will take that if he's offering the rest of it.

It's what we've lacked on the wings for so long, someone who can actually return the ball strongly and do some real hard yards out of our end. The forwards will be the ones who love him the most.

Not sure why Titans unloaded him, but they obviously really like the backs they have in Jojo and Khan-Pereira who have very high ceilings and are very young.

perverse

Referee
Marzhew absolutely will make some clangers in defence at some stage - and it's likely there will be a pattern of it. It's probably the only thing that's really kept him from being an out and out star winger really. Good teams will target him a lot more and exploit it. Raiders weren't up to it today though. Geez he's a mosnter with the ball in hand.

Knight Tales

Juniors
Jesus. The coach getting some credit.

Am I in the wrong forum?
Depends on who you are dealing with mate. I have had a varying opinion on Adam but in fairness his monotonous and structured coaching has been a drag for the last three years. What we are seeing is a coach who realises his own imprint is required both with recruitment and on field play. Gamble, Hastings, and Miller are all effort players first
And talent second. Not saying their ability is an issue. Just they have their on field priorities straight. It is contagious. I like our chances against Manly at a neutral venue.

jason taylor

Bench
His bad days in defence are bad. Raiders didn't test him at all today.
Pretty much. I remember that was the primary criticism of him when he spent a couple of years in Parra’s top 30 but never seemed close to making his debut. Would always absolutely carve it up in NSW Cup, but there were always question marks over whether his defence would hold up in first grade.

PhilGould

Bench
Seems to be the first playmaker we’ve had who realises giving Bradman some early ball is a good strategy. Two weeks in row he’s put him in space with a great ball, Bradman bombed it last week but worked out today.

He just reads them game well and knows what he wants to do even if he’s not the most athletic and his kicking game isn’t always on point. If he gets the ball on the front foot he doesn’t hold it or try to make the hero play himself, he quickly moves it to the side of the field where the defence is compressed, which is footy 101 but something the Knights haven’t been able to grasp for a while.

Yosh

Coach
Hastings' kicking game looks real solid to me. I don't remember him kicking it out or dead in easy situations, nor does he make bad decisions with his kicks either. For over a decade I remember we always used to do this stupid half bomb half chip kick in the opposition 20m all the time. Good to see us kicking to the corners all game, making them work hard for it and even creating a mistake.

Spot On

Coach
Hastings' kicking game looks real solid to me. I don't remember him kicking it out or dead in easy situations, nor does he make bad decisions with his kicks either. For over a decade I remember we always used to do this stupid half bomb half chip kick in the opposition 20m all the time. Good to see us kicking to the corners all game, making them work hard for it and even creating a mistake.

You don’t miss the Pearce piss poor kicking game Yosh?

perverse

Referee
Oh dear... Gags is going good so far this year, so we've gone back to flogging the deadest horse on the forum.