What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Greenberg has pretty much said one Sydney team will be relocated.

Wb1234

Referee
tbf some of them were as clueless as you lol Sharks rich, Dogs huge supporter base, Tigers representing Macarthur. Hmmmm
Sharks are asset rich
Dogs used to average close to 20k
Tigers are supposed to represent Campbelltown and should move there full time

Wb1234

Referee
Last year was first year they made a small profit and that was largely due to the increased NRL grant, not off their own endeavors.
Redeveloped leagues club and greater ground capacity to come

you know that too

it might be ugly but it’s theirs and they make coin from it

Perth Red

Post Whore
Redeveloped leagues club and greater ground capacity to come

you know that too

it might be ugly but it’s theirs and they make coin from it
Id hardly describe them as rich though, and that was my point. They barely scrape a profit and that largely due to a handout from the NRL. Sure they may be in years to come but the ground and small fanbase will continue to see them not being anything like the actual rich clubs. Theres only so much profit in pokies.

Wb1234

Referee
Id hardly describe them as rich though, and that was my point. They barely scrape a profit and that largely due to a handout from the NRL. Sure they may be in years to come but the ground and small fanbase will continue to see them not being anything like the actual rich clubs. Theres only so much profit in pokies.
Ground and the leagues club are worth over 100 million probably more

dunno if you can count Kareela as their ownership

and they own commercial at the ground pretty sure it’s a gym

it’s right on the water

MugaB

Coach
I heard brent read and David riccio, on the nrl sunday footy show on nine, talk about how there will be a 99 year licence soon for all existing clubs... so talk of relocations is absolutely moot, and even if a club goes belly up, the Arlc will be there to bail them out, (ala titan/knights a few years back)
But keep on, keeping on dreaming guys

flippikat

Bench
As we saw that really doesnt help cash flow unless you flog it.
Dogs have one of the lowest fan based revenue amounts in the comp
"supposed to' exactly! When they do play there no one turns up.

For the Sharks, asset rich means they have a financial backstop - if the budget crunch becomes too severe, they can sell assets to get them out of a jam. In a worst case scenario, they could sell Shark Park to developers & move to the SFS.

The revenue point about the Bulldogs is interesting - is that basically just due to them being rubbish for a few years now? In a lean time, the supporter base does tend to boil away to the hardcore fans only - I imagine an upswing in form *could* change that, and some signs of that are on the field now.

And lastly, Wests and Campbelltown - I've heard it said that the reasons they don't play at Campbelltown more often include relatively poor stadium, lack of corporates there (compared to inner-west), and the Balmain & Wests Ashfield factions really not wanting to go there that often. Would the crowd numbers at Campbelltown grow if they committed more to the place?

Wb1234

Referee
For the Sharks, asset rich means they have a financial backstop - if the budget crunch becomes too severe, they can sell assets to get them out of a jam. In a worst case scenario, they could sell Shark Park to developers & move to the SFS.

The revenue point about the Bulldogs is interesting - is that basically just due to them being rubbish for a few years now? In a lean time, the supporter base does tend to boil away to the hardcore fans only - I imagine an upswing in form *could* change that, and some signs of that are on the field now.

And lastly, Wests and Campbelltown - I've heard it said that the reasons they don't play at Campbelltown more often include relatively poor stadium, lack of corporates there (compared to inner-west), and the Balmain & Wests Ashfield factions really not wanting to go there that often. Would the crowd numbers at Campbelltown grow if they committed more to the place?
Plus leagues club at Campbelltown isn’t owned by wests Ashfield

mongoose

Coach
If the Tigers go another 10 years without finals I'd say we'd either relocate or fold. Pascoe/Hagi run it like a business, they couldn't care less about results. As soon as things go south finance wise they'll quickly head for the exit leaving someone else to pick up the pieces.
the Tigers missing the finals for the next 10 years would be some achievement in a salary capped competition...

Wb1234

Referee

Plus
Yeah, that's a fair point right there.

It's a sad situation when there's this growth area, yet the one club that has a decent claim to the place doesn't have much interest in engaging with it.

Yet another compelling reason to redraw the map of Sydney?
Dragons ten games gong 2 at allianz

tigers ten games Campbelltown 2 games at allianz

manly kicked out and central coast bears in their place

that would be the ideal solution which will never happen

tigers just had 70 million spent on their centre of excellence at concord oval

jim_57

Staff member
Yeah, that's a fair point right there.

It's a sad situation when there's this growth area, yet the one club that has a decent claim to the place doesn't have much interest in engaging with it.

Yet another compelling reason to redraw the map of Sydney?

Tigers need to commit to a main base and play majority of their home games at one venue that is for sure. I would go with Campbelltown and work with the A-League team to get some upgrades. Play 9-10 there with a couple at Leichardt and maybe Accor when they host Easter Monday.

Plenty of people would probably disagree but whether it be Campbelltown, Accor or Bankwest they need to pick one major venue. Likewise Dragons should be 9-3 split Wollongong-SFS but mergers are messy.

flippikat

Bench
Tigers need to commit to a main base and play majority of their home games at one venue that is for sure. I would go with Campbelltown and work with the A-League team to get some upgrades. Play 9-10 there with a couple at Leichardt and maybe Accor when they host Easter Monday.
The dilemma is that if they go majority Campbelltown, it risks alienating their inner west base (and pulls them away from Wests Ashfieild & the Tigers CoE), whereas if they pull away from Campbelltown they not only leave that area under-served (and wide open to other clubs & indeed other sports) but also they'd find themselves scrapping with Parra, Bulldogs & nowadays Souths for attention in that space.. and with the results they're getting on the field it's a tough sell against 3 clubs that are traveling better than them.

Tough choice... and I can see why they're torn.

Dark Corner

Juniors
Plus

Dragons ten games gong 2 at allianz

tigers ten games Campbelltown 2 games at allianz

manly kicked out and central coast bears in their place

that would be the ideal solution which will never happen

tigers just had 70 million spent on their centre of excellence at concord oval
Well at least Concord Oval be some use since 1987 ;)

Dark Corner

Juniors
The dilemma is that if they go majority Campbelltown, it risks alienating their inner west base (and pulls them away from Wests Ashfieild & the Tigers CoE), whereas if they pull away from Campbelltown they not only leave that area under-served (and wide open to other clubs & indeed other sports) but also they'd find themselves scrapping with Parra, Bulldogs & nowadays Souths for attention in that space.. and with the results they're getting on the field it's a tough sell against 3 clubs that are traveling better than them.

Tough choice... and I can see why they're torn.
When you talk about alienating their base how many are alienating as it's not like AFL with double the crowds...how many fans are the Waratahs alienating just playing at the SFS and not North Sydney and Manly....1 ground 1 team apart from derbies and on the road games to smaller population areas and country teams.Is it me or you don't see the NFL doing this with it's 32 teams and massive population apart from the oversea games.

Latest posts