What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mt Smart

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
If the Warriors have a good season and with Moana Pasifika also using it as a home ground is it time to try to get some upgrades to Mt Smart? What sort of condition is the ground in these days? I know the eastern stand was built in 2005 and from what I can see a new video screen has been installed at the northern end which looks pretty good, and the southern end still has the old temporary scaffolding standing. Replacing that with a new covered stand that wraps around the south end would turn Mt Smart into a pretty good facility IMO and wouldn’t cost an enormous amount, and if it was large enough it could conceivably compete with Eden park for all but the biggest events. Thoughts?

Blair

Coach
If the Warriors have a good season and with Moana Pasifika also using it as a home ground is it time to try to get some upgrades to Mt Smart? What sort of condition is the ground in these days? I know the eastern stand was built in 2005 and from what I can see a new video screen has been installed at the northern end which looks pretty good, and the southern end still has the old temporary scaffolding standing. Replacing that with a new covered stand that wraps around the south end would turn Mt Smart into a pretty good facility IMO and wouldn’t cost an enormous amount, and if it was large enough it could conceivably compete with Eden park for all but the biggest events. Thoughts?
This year should be the year I see a Warriors game there. Finally.

Have you been?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
This year should be the year I see a Warriors game there. Finally.

Have you been?
Used to go to games all the time when I lived in Akl, plus 5 Big Day Outs so I knew the joint well- but haven't been there since 2002, before the eastern stand was even built. Back then the Eastern Stands were just temporary scaff affairs like the curren t south end, and there was still a small old eastern pavillion/stand behind it from the days when it was configured for Track and Filed, which I believe was demolished when the current Eastern Stand was built. But the thing about Mt Smart is its always felt a bit rough and temporary and half-finished- would be nice to see it finally turned into a proper permanent complete footy stadium and TBH it wouldn't really take that much to turn it into a pretty first class 30-35K facility.
Always had a soft spot for the place, great sightlines and a good intimate atmosphere but big enough to hold a decent crowd, and convenient to drive to from pretty much anywhere. Downside is the lack of any entertainment options in the area though, its always a drive there then go home proposition.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
There was a master plan going around that showed the end game for Auckland seeing Speedway into mt smart, cricket into western springs and I’m guessing that all league across to eden park

the tossers are desperate to get Speedway out of Western Springs, where it has been since 1929

Juju

Juniors
There was a master plan going around that showed the end game for Auckland seeing Speedway into mt smart, cricket into western springs and I’m guessing that all league across to eden park

the tossers are desperate to get Speedway out of Western Springs, where it has been since 1929
The recent flooding has really impacted Western Springs Speedway pretty badly. The newer terrace seating is all permanently out of use because of the danger of a landslide. 4 or 5 of the neighbouring houses are yellow stickered. The speedway track and pits sounds like it has some serious subsidence issues. I'm not sure speedway will be back.

I see they're replacing all the old seats in the east stand with new blue ones. That seems to be the extent of any Mt Smart refurbishments.
The Council have a draft plan for some pretty severe budget cuts to services, so I can't see anything significant happening at Mt Smart for quite a while.

It's a shame - as the stadiums for NRL teams in Australia really are on a whole other level to what we have here.
The new SFS, Parra & Cowboys stadiums would be perfect for us.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
The recent flooding has really impacted Western Springs Speedway pretty badly. The newer terrace seating is all permanently out of use because of the danger of a landslide. 4 or 5 of the neighbouring houses are yellow stickered. The speedway track and pits sounds like it has some serious subsidence issues. I'm not sure speedway will be back.

I see they're replacing all the old seats in the east stand with new blue ones. That seems to be the extent of any Mt Smart refurbishments.
The Council have a draft plan for some pretty severe budget cuts to services, so I can't see anything significant happening at Mt Smart for quite a while.

It's a shame - as the stadiums for NRL teams in Australia really are on a whole other level to what we have here.
The new SFS, Parra & Cowboys stadiums would be perfect for us.
Part of the reason I think some degree of refurbishment of Mt Smart could actually be on the cards is budget limitations.
Auckland will never never get a full rebuild in the near future so budget solutions are more likely. The Eastern stand only cost 21m when it was built, that will have gone up obviously but I still reckon it means you could convert the southern end to a permanent covered bowl/stand for 30-50m and that would be pretty much equivalent to what the Cowboys have with their new stadium now.
Interesting to hear about what’s happened to Western Springs as I figure that’s also going to preclude moving cricket there which was something else that was floated at one point.

Juju

Juniors
Part of the reason I think some degree of refurbishment of Mt Smart could actually be on the cards is budget limitations.
Auckland will never never get a full rebuild in the near future so budget solutions are more likely. The Eastern stand only cost 21m when it was built, that will have gone up obviously but I still reckon it means you could convert the southern end to a permanent covered bowl/stand for 30-50m and that would be pretty much equivalent to what the Cowboys have with their new stadium now.
Interesting to hear about what’s happened to Western Springs as I figure that’s also going to preclude moving cricket there which was something else that was floated at one point.
That's a good point. Could work... look at the recent addition to Brookvale - that seems to have added to the grounds appeal.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
That's a good point. Could work... look at the recent addition to Brookvale - that seems to have added to the grounds appeal.
And Mt Smart is WAY ahead of Brookvale or any of the other suburban grounds in Sydney in terms of what it already has in place. The big advantage Mt Smart has is that it already has two main stands that don't need replacing- they're approximately the same size, cover the full length of the sidelines, are both close to the pitch and provide 60-70 roof coverage. All the Sydney suburban grounds (not counting Parra now) have either a hill on one side or pokey little stands on both sides. Mt Smart really only needs the southern end brought up to standard to be a "complete" stadium, presuming the north end will be left clear or with movable temporary seating to allow for concerts. Most of the major work is already done.

2002 was the last time I ventured to Mt Smart. I will be returning there this year for a round robin game later in the year (June or July not sure which game yet) but also would like to be there for another finals game. That 2002 game vs Canberra in the finals is up there as my best league game I've attended live. Ali and Stacey were on fire. Packed out crowd atmosphere was memorable. The improvements they had added since 2002 I've been told has trapped the sound in more giving a better atmosphere when packed out.

Could anyone confirm if the sound review was correct? I remember watching the 2008 vs Rooster Black Out Home game on TV it sounded very good that atmosphere.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

Auckland Cricket looks set to make Colin Maiden Park its permanent home, alienating a good portion of their clubs and the city’s cricket fans in the process.

Auckland Cricket is understood to have presented the project to club chairs this month and despite asking for feedback it is understood to be locked in, much to the chagrin of the North Shore and far west clubs.

New Zealand Cricket is understood to be a tepid supporter of the move due to a lack of viable alternatives at Eden Park or Western Springs, but have warned the ground needs significant upgrades before it will be considered for internationals.

This was last month, in regards to cricket in Auckland. They just can't get things right with stadia in Auckland, it's embarrassing. Colin Maiden Park is hopeless. Hamilton/Wellington (Sky Stadium)/Dunedin/Napier all have their cricket + rugby grounds within walking distance of the main centre. Auckland has Mt Smart in Penrose (but at least near motorway access) Eden Park (at least near Kingsland, I guess and trains coz they're awesome...) and now Colin Maiden, which isn't near anything.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
2002 was the last time I ventured to Mt Smart. I will be returning there this year for a round robin game later in the year (June or July not sure which game yet) but also would like to be there for another finals game. That 2002 game vs Canberra in the finals is up there as my best league game I've attended live. Ali and Stacey were on fire. Packed out crowd atmosphere was memorable. The improvements they had added since 2002 I've been told has trapped the sound in more giving a better atmosphere when packed out.

Could anyone confirm if the sound review was correct? I remember watching the 2008 vs Rooster Black Out Home game on TV it sounded very good that atmosphere.
Was that the finals match? That night was insane.

I love Mt Smart for nostalgia reasons. Yeah the facilities kinda suck, it's in a spot that's accessible to really no one in particular, there's no bars to spill out to (unless you want to try your luck) etc, it's cold as f**k in winter, but I love it. It's our place. Opposing teams hate it, we love it. And the atmosphere with a full house goes off.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
And agree on Auckland being an embarrassment stadia-wise. It really needs to be totally rationalised and consolidated with at least one of the stadiums sold off to fund the building of a new one but no way you’ll ever get Rugby, League, Cricket, Speedway, Trotting, racing, ratepayers and council to all agree on anything.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Maybe my standards are just really low but when I got tickets high up in the East Stand back in 2018 (which were not inordinately expensive) I was pleasantly surprised by how "nice" it was. We just had normal seats, but being near the "lounge" area and with all the Mad Butcher's memorabilia etc it actually felt kinda flash.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Maybe my standards are just really low but when I got tickets high up in the East Stand back in 2018 (which were not inordinately expensive) I was pleasantly surprised by how "nice" it was. We just had normal seats, but being near the "lounge" area and with all the Mad Butcher's memorabilia etc it actually felt kinda flash.
Well you were in the newest, nicest part of the stadium. Thing is though I think if you built a new south stand and modernised the bar facilities behind the western stand you’d bring the whole place up to that level, and in stadium money terms that wouldn’t really be a massive spend.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Was that the finals match? That night was insane.

I love Mt Smart for nostalgia reasons. Yeah the facilities kinda suck, it's in a spot that's accessible to really no one in particular, there's no bars to spill out to (unless you want to try your luck) etc, it's cold as f**k in winter, but I love it. It's our place. Opposing teams hate it, we love it. And the atmosphere with a full house goes off.
Know exactly what you mean, have been to many of the flash modern stadiums around the place, but the hill at Brookvale is still about as good a place as I’ve watched footy from, and the same with the hill at Leichhardt actually. People say “you can’t be on a grassy, muddy hill in winter” blah blah blah but I’d happily take that over the bucket seats

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Know exactly what you mean, have been to many of the flash modern stadiums around the place, but the hill at Brookvale is still about as good a place as I’ve watched footy from, and the same with the hill at Leichhardt actually. People say “you can’t be on a grassy, muddy hill in winter” blah blah blah but I’d happily take that over the bucket seats
I think Auckland could do with more covered, permanent seating because of the frequency of winter rain, but yeah a lot of the super modern fancy stuff is wank. Just give fans a good view and bar/food/toilet access that works and they’ll be pretty happy. I still can’t believe NSW knocked down the old SFS and spent 500M rebuilding in t into something not much better.

JJ

Immortal
Stadiums date really quickly…

Big Day Outs at Mt Smart…. Those were the days!!!’

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Given th
Stadiums date really quickly…

Big Day Outs at Mt Smart…. Those were the days!!!’

thats the thing, any stadium is going to LOOK dated after 10-15 years. It’s not a reason to knock it down and rebuild it if it’s still functionally ok or can be renovated, especially when funding is difficult to get. The fundamental things that make a stadium good haven’t changed.

Reactions: JJ

Matua

Bench
If anyone had the privilege of watching matches at Carisbrook back in the day then Mt Smart will feel like the height of luxury.

Given th

thats the thing, any stadium is going to LOOK dated after 10-15 years. It’s not a reason to knock it down and rebuild it if it’s still functionally ok or can be renovated, especially when funding is difficult to get. The fundamental things that make a stadium good haven’t changed.
Waikato Stadium is a good example of a partial renovation making a good stadium for watching footy.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
If anyone had the privilege of watching matches at Carisbrook back in the day then Mt Smart will feel like the height of luxury.

Waikato Stadium is a good example of a partial renovation making a good stadium for watching footy.
Yes to both of those!
Never went to athletic park though which I regret

Latest posts