What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Southern Bears

greenBV4

Bench
How did this little beauty escape us?

The Bears could team up with Christchurch...

They are "open" to literally anywhere.. barely news

They'd be better of picking an area and doubling down on that, growing a relationship with that area and the people that would make up the fanbase

Instead they just present themselves as a parasite willing to leech of anyone anywhere to get back in, with no actual regard for whichever area that is

flippikat

Bench
Can the NRL just PLEASE give us some certainty on the whole Bears rigmarole?

Either give them a clear destination & conditions for a licence, or tell them in no uncertain terms to forget it.

I'm just tired of all this desperate pitching of their brand to everywhere.

Centy Coast

Juniors
Can the NRL just PLEASE give us some certainty on the whole Bears rigmarole?

Either give them a clear destination & conditions for a licence, or tell them in no uncertain terms to forget it.

I'm just tired of all this desperate pitching of their brand to everywhere.
As a Bears supporter I’m sick of every news article linking the Bears to every potential new bid mentioned.
The original location for the Bears was the Central Coast, the Bears NEVER lodged anything official for the Gold Coast license and they have only had minor talks about potential relocation to Perth, nothing else has officially ever been mentioned except for Bears Chairman saying that he will discuss with the NRL “what area the NRL believes the Bears brand best suits”.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
As a Bears supporter I’m sick of every news article linking the Bears to every potential new bid mentioned.
The original location for the Bears was the Central Coast, the Bears NEVER lodged anything official for the Gold Coast license and they have only had minor talks about potential relocation to Perth, nothing else has officially ever been mentioned except for Bears Chairman saying that he will discuss with the NRL “what area the NRL believes the Bears brand best suits”.
Tbf the bears have said they’ll go anywhere so long as they get a license.

Gobsmacked

Bench
With the NRL set to expand to 20 teams, why don't the Bears do this:

Move their club now, move to Christchurch ! Play in the NSW cup as the Southern Bears, start forming pathways and relationships there as a local club in a high standard competition. They could announce it for next year.
Then when the NRL asks for bids from NZ, they would have it in the bag as a stand alone bid.

The reality is though it's simply drum beating they are interested in, people are getting paid a serious wage to fly around , met people and talk it up. They're not ( anymore at least) serious enough to do the work to put themselves on a path to the NRL.

We're just going to have to wait out the death of the last Bears fan for them to go away.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I would say to the head bear: we're happy to give you a license under the following conditions:
You can't play any games at North Sydney oval ever.
You can't play any home games within 2000km of Sydney.
You can't use or ever mention the bears name, logo, colours or history.
You can't associate yourself with any other city's bid in the southern hemisphere.
You have to forget about the past completely and never mention it ever.
Any breaking of the above conditions will see your licence immediately removed.

If they're willing to do that then maybe they can have a licence.

LimeRick

Juniors
I would say to the head bear: we're happy to give you a license under the following conditions:
You can't play any games at North Sydney oval ever.
You can't play any home games within 2000km of Sydney.
You can't use or ever mention the bears name, logo, colours or history.
You can't associate yourself with any other city's bid in the southern hemisphere.
You have to forget about the past completely and never mention it ever.
Any breaking of the above conditions will see your licence immediately removed.

If they're willing to do that then maybe they can have a licence.

I like the first parts, absolutely no window to move back to Sydney.

But I think they should be able to keep their name and history. Worked well for the Swans in the AFL. And stops any attempt at a Bears brand sneaking into Sydney another way.

flippikat

Bench
Really wish the Bears would just go away. I don't want them in the NRL
An alternative to that - which I think could well happen - would be for some expansion team (thinking either Perth or Christchurch or Adelaide) to use the Red & Black colors with a brand of their own, thus trumping one of the Bears big marketing angles.

(Red & Black team? Nah, we already have one of those thanks..)