What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 13 vs. St George Illawarra Dragons Discussion

Big Pete

Referee
Dolphins vs. St George Illawarra Dragons
Kayo Stadium, Thursday 25 May 2023
Kick Off: 7:50pm

DOL2022TEAM.png

1. Kodi Nikorima 2. Jamayne Isaako 3. Euan Aitken 4. Brenko Lee 5. Tesi Niu 6. Anthony Milford 7. Isaiya Katoa 8. Jesse Bromwich 9. Jeremy Marshall-King 10. Herman Ese'ese 11. Kenny Bromwich 12. Connelly Lemuelu 13. Ray Stone

14. Jarrod Wallace 15. Mark Nicholls 16. Mason Teague 17. Valynce Te Whare

18. Poasa Faamausili 19. Kurt Donoghoe 20. Edrick Lee 21. Jeremiah Simbiken 22. JJ Collins

SGI2022TEAM.png

1. Tyrell Sloan 2. Mathew Feagai 3. Moses Suli 4. Zac Lomax 5. Mikaele Ravalawa 6. Talatau Amone 7. Jayden Sullivan 8. Francis Molo 9. Jacob Liddle 10. Michael Molo 11. Jack Bird 12. Ben Murdoch-Masila 13. Jack de Belin

14. Moses Mbye 15. Toby Couchman 16. Jaiyden Hunt 17. Josh Kerr

18. Billy Burns 19. Max Feagai 20. Zane Musgrove 21. Viliami Fifita 22. Paul Turner

Big Pete

Referee
Firstly, it was good to see the Hammer and Gilbert rewarded for their form. Both players have played like they belong in the Origin arena and as a Queenslander I hope that form continues on Wednesday week.

This shapes as a big game for Milford. His time at the penninsula has been disappointing with only a few reminders of what he's capable of. This is the type of game where he needs to step up, take it to the line and make sure the strike players are getting good ball.

I'm curious to see how Te Whare is used in this game. He could easily come on and shift Aitken to the backrow if the Dolphins need to apply the blow-torch.

Even without the Hammer, Gilbert and Kaufusi this is a winnable game and it'll be disappointing if they fall short.

MugaB

Coach
Firstly, it was good to see the Hammer and Gilbert rewarded for their form. Both players have played like they belong in the Origin arena and as a Queenslander I hope that form continues on Wednesday week.

This shapes as a big game for Milford. His time at the penninsula has been disappointing with only a few reminders of what he's capable of. This is the type of game where he needs to step up, take it to the line and make sure the strike players are getting good ball.

I'm curious to see how Te Whare is used in this game. He could easily come on and shift Aitken to the backrow if the Dolphins need to apply the blow-torch.

Even without the Hammer, Gilbert and Kaufusi this is a winnable game and it'll be disappointing if they fall short.
Even having te whare come in at a roaming lock, wouldn't look out of place, but as ypuve said aiken into back row seems like a better fit... can you imagine assako and te whare on the same side of the field? Lethal

Big Pete

Referee
Dolphins 26 (Jamayne Isaako 2, Mark Nicholls, Anthony Milford tries; Jamyne Isaako 5/5 goals) def. St George Illawarra Dragons 12

7-5

Phins Up!

Started behind the eight ball again, but they were able to hang in and get on top of the Dragons. I thought it came off the back of Isaako and his effort on the cross-field kick to score a try out of virtually nothing. St George had the numbers but he just bounced right into a gap.

It gave the Dolphins the ascedency and they started to win penalties and really work the Dragons around the middle. Marshall-King continued his strong season with two lovely passes to put the Dolphins over.

It was a scrappy second half, but the Dolphins had put themselves into a winning position early with a simple second-man play that got completely bamboozled Suli and put Isaako into space for his second. There was an opportunity to put on a score but it appeared the conditions were slippery and without some of the regular combinations, the Dolphins just cruised to victory.

MugaB

Coach
Good to see the resistance to put on te whare until euan aiken actually pulled up proper... could have easily put him on around the 20th minute mark when kodi was blowing hard, and cramping, with a possible shift of assako to FB and te whare to fill in somewhere in the backs... my thought was originally he would come in for a tired fwd around 50th minute mark and aiken slot in back row but, the fwds looked pretty good in thier rotation, Valynce ended up being cover... luckly he came in for Aiken, basically after a 14 point lead and game won, well done phins winning at their ancestral ground, and for their master coach, pushes that 902 game mark past his opposing coach haha

Puff

First Grade
I must say. The benefit of changing sides is I loved putting the Dragons to the sword.

I still have a spot in my heart for them. However, last night I wanted the dolphins to put them to the sword.

As a result I want the Dragons to do well. Just not as well as the Dolphins

Big Pete

Referee
I must say. The benefit of changing sides is I loved putting the Dragons to the sword.

I still have a spot in my heart for them. However, last night I wanted the dolphins to put them to the sword.

As a result I want the Dragons to do well. Just not as well as the Dolphins
They've been difficult to watch for a long time. They've been rudderless since Bennett left and outside of their recruitment sprees in 2014 and 2018 they haven't looked like putting together a premiership team. They need to settle on a coach ASAP and make some changes - they've been treading water ever since Gareth decided to go back to England and de Belin made some poor life choices.

They're a great club, with one of the best fanbases in the code - they deserve better.

MugaB

Coach
They've been difficult to watch for a long time. They've been rudderless since Bennett left and outside of their recruitment sprees in 2014 and 2018 they haven't looked like putting together a premiership team. They need to settle on a coach ASAP and make some changes - they've been treading water ever since Gareth decided to go back to England and de Belin made some poor life choices.

They're a great club, with one of the best fanbases in the code - they deserve better.
Im a Penrith fan, and watching the dragons back in 2017 and 2018 they were pretty dominant, they put some large scores back then and were at the top of the ladder for the bulk of those seasons, only to drop off in the finals or close to it... we always dreaded playing against them... they've fallen off a cliff since putting all their chips into a million dollar half... even though he carries them most games... its gonna be lean years for them for the next 5 or so... dolphins have got the balance right, hard nosed fwd pack and backs playing off that dominance, along with JMK threatening around the ruck keeping them direct, dragons at the moment lack all of that, they are full of rookies, and old contracts, and 2 overpriced marquees with jack bird & ben hunt

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
Im a Penrith fan, and watching the dragons back in 2017 and 2018 they were pretty dominant, they put some large scores back then and were at the top of the ladder for the bulk of the season, only to drop off in the finals or close to it... we always dreaded playing against them... thetve fallen off a cliff since putting all their chips into a million dollar half... even though he carries them most games
It really seemed like they wanted to get something out of Hunt and it appeared they were on track for a finals appearance until BBQ gate. I was actually on board with it, with a view that they could bring in a new coach for 2024 and sign a few big name recruits.

I couldn't believe they re-signed Ben Hunt and I think it's in their best interest to let him go.

Puff

First Grade
It really seemed like they wanted to get something out of Hunt and it appeared they were on track for a finals appearance until BBQ gate. I was actually on board with it, with a view that they could bring in a new coach for 2024 and sign a few big name recruits.

I couldn't believe they re-signed Ben Hunt and I think it's in their best interest to let him go.
They over paid for him. As a result not being able to invest in other areas.

His best position is 9 as well. But he just wants to play 7. I just dont understand it. Whenever he moved to 9 for the Dragons the team looked hot. Then at 7, they looked chaotic.

Puff

First Grade
I love it. You read the Jub Ave, and they pretty much blame the ref for the result, then you mention the try off the 7th tackle that they scored, and they blow up.

f**k hilarious