What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV deal discussion 2028 -

Perth Red

Post Whore
To finally beat the afl in 2028 we will need a min cash avg deal of around $565mill a year for 5 years. A total cash deal of $2.825 bill over 5 years.

taipan

Referee
Please. You never took in the fact the fumbler deal was 7 years starting 2025 , so inflation plays a big part as the longer a contract goes, and the later it finishes , compared to where the NRL will start their new deal 2028.
So AFL further 3years of inflation included in their 7years deal.
FWIW IMO the AFL may have indicated to the TV outlets when they negotiated, a 19 team Tasmania was in the pipeline as an appetiser.
The Reserve bank is hoping for 3% , good luck with that ,if the Government goes ahead with a huge increase in migration numbers.
Also no 18 teams involved by NRL at the last deal, no stats on TV ad revenue for either sport and I could go own ad nauseum. You still crap on it's a failure continuing to compare like with unlike, reading what journos and some within the game with an axe to grind as being TV deal gurus.
The only thing I agree with you on is a far bigger deal because of what will be 18 teams, and because the introduction of the Dolph Lundgrens has been a TV ratings boom(Ala Brisbane),and generally TV ratings have shot up dramatically.
I can't see Ch 7 wanting rl except for SOO,as they are tied to the 7 year which some considers too much.Thta leaves Foxtel/Nein and who knows with ch10.FTA Tv and in the States is losing favour.
It’s an aVg, you do understand how avgs work dont you?
tv deals,dont work on inflation, not sure how many times I have to explain this to you! They are changed at around 2% a year over the life of the deal and when you add it all up it comes to the total and is then avg’d over the deal in the announcement

so once again on cash amounts of tv deals

nrl $400mill avg (for sake of argument).

2023 $384.2
2024 $392
2025 $400
2026 $408
2027 $416.2

afl $530mill avg

2025 $498.8
2026 $509
2027 $519.4
2028 $530
2029 $546
2030 $556.9
2031 $568
You are telling me how to suck eggs champ .Of course end year should be worth more than first year.
Thanks teach lecturing me on how averages work.
I"m fully aware how inflation jumps up and down .And I'm fully aware of what is happening in the U.S.with their the debt running into $31T and increasing by another $ 4T in the short term future and the impact that will have on not only their economy/inflation of a long period but ours as the U.S. sneezes we catch a cold.
And I'm fully aware that adding teams (now 19 )after a contract has been signed for along period has to be taken into account and I'll bet my balls they'll have 20 teams(more likely WA).Divide 20 into the dollar mix later"for sake of argument.
When the actual figure has not been spelt out by the NRL ,sorry need actuals and direct realistic comparisons not
what journalists PVL haters etc ponder/BS or pull out of their rear ends.

We had our inflation jump from 6.3 to 6.8% of late.No one can predict inflation 2029/2031 let alone 3 years from now.The Feds are bumbling along now with interest rate rises ,they moved two friggin slowly .The start should have been far more gradual when interest rates were .1%. This is like a king hit every month.
Good move the NRL bought the pub(asset) in Caxton Street ATT.

And I'm fully au fait of time differentials for any sort of contract and the impact that has when they were originally taken out.ie 7 years as opposed to 5 years.
You still can't understand (amazingly) the difference between an 18 teams comp as opposed to a 17 team(now) comp and what an extra game is worth, as well continuing to ignore the quantitative value of advertising revenue for 9 match games over 4 qtrs in comparison to 8 matches in 2 halves.As well as the amount of time ch7 devotes to AFL outside normal game scheduling in promotion (which 9 appears incapable of )that adds to the add revenue.
Let alone having high profile people like Stokes,Wesfarmers head and others on AFL boards who have big influence on the likes of the FTA channels. There are a hell of a lot more players and officials involved in AFL teams as opposed to NRL teams .And yes they have a bigger spread of states involved.
You may as well compare wrestlers with boxers FWIW, a meaningless exercise.
We go in with an 18 team comp settled come 2025 when negotiations should start(and yes Perth provide you stop bitching),we would be in a damn strong position with ratings booming to get a deal we should all be okay with.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You are telling me how to suck eggs champ .Of course end year should be worth more than first year.
Thanks teach lecturing me on how averages work.
I"m fully aware how inflation jumps up and down .And I'm fully aware of what is happening in the U.S.with their the debt running into $31T and increasing by another $ 4T in the short term future and the impact that will have on not only their economy/inflation of a long period but ours as the U.S. sneezes we catch a cold.
And I'm fully aware that adding teams (now 19 )after a contract has been signed for along period has to be taken into account and I'll bet my balls they'll have 20 teams(more likely WA).Divide 20 into the dollar mix later"for sake of argument.
When the actual figure has not been spelt out by the NRL ,sorry need actuals and direct realistic comparisons not
what journalists PVL haters etc ponder/BS or pull out of their rear ends.

We had our inflation jump from 6.3 to 6.8% of late.No one can predict inflation 2029/2031 let alone 3 years from now.The Feds are bumbling along now with interest rate rises ,they moved two friggin slowly .The start should have been far more gradual when interest rates were .1%. This is like a king hit every month.
Good move the NRL bought the pub(asset) in Caxton Street ATT.

And I'm fully au fait of time differentials for any sort of contract and the impact that has when they were originally taken out.ie 7 years as opposed to 5 years.
You still can't understand (amazingly) the difference between an 18 teams comp as opposed to a 17 team(now) comp and what an extra game is worth, as well continuing to ignore the quantitative value of advertising revenue for 9 match games over 4 qtrs in comparison to 8 matches in 2 halves.As well as the amount of time ch7 devotes to AFL outside normal game scheduling in promotion (which 9 appears incapable of )that adds to the add revenue.
Let alone having high profile people like Stokes,Wesfarmers head and others on AFL boards who have big influence on the likes of the FTA channels. There are a hell of a lot more players and officials involved in AFL teams as opposed to NRL teams .And yes they have a bigger spread of states involved.
You may as well compare wrestlers with boxers FWIW, a meaningless exercise.
We go in with an 18 team comp settled come 2025 when negotiations should start(and yes Perth provide you stop bitching),we would be in a damn strong position with ratings booming to get a deal we should all be okay with.
you spent a lot of time typing stuff there that has nothing to do with the discussion lol. Heres the facts:
A tv deal is announced as a total and an avg
for accounting the actuals is adjusted year on year by about 2%
Overall the avg remains the avg

The annual payments in my chart are accurate as a best guess on what the cash components of each deal are (though I still dont believe the nrl announced a cash only deal for the first time ever)

Inflation has absolutely nothing to do with tv deal payments.

Yes what the two sports offers is different and that impacts the value tv sees in the two sports. But again nothing has really changed from 2017 to 2025 between those differences in the two codes, in fact NRL arguably has become more valuable to TV than AFL in that period, yet you can see the gap between the two codes tv value from 2025> jumps massively compared to the 2017> deal. Hmmmm?

Wb1234

Referee
you spent a lot of time typing stuff there that has nothing to do with the discussion lol. Heres the facts:

The annual payments in my chart are accurate as a best guess on what the cash components of each deal are (though I still dont believe the nrl announced a cash only deal for the first time ever)

Yes what the two sports offers is different and that impacts the value tv sees in the two sports. But again nothing has really changed from 2017 to 2025 between those differences in the two codes, in fact NRL arguably has become more valuable to TV than AFL in that period, yet you can see the gap between the two codes tv value from 2025> jumps massively compared to the 2017> deal. Hmmmm?
Afl added an extra round and a new team

Perth Red

Post Whore
Afl added an extra round and a new team
and we added a new team, in supposedly a much more valuable city, we disbanded our media digital arm to stop competition with the tv digital arms, and we expanded the NRLW. So all in all no real difference between the two codes as they were in 2017 tv deal (maybe NRL added more vlaue for TV arguably?).

Wb1234

Referee
and we added a new team, in supposedly a much more valuable city, we disbanded our media digital arm to stop competition with the tv digital arms, and we expanded the NRLW. So all in all no real difference between the two codes as they were in 2017 tv deal (maybe NRL added more vlaue for TV arguably?).
That’s not what you said originally bruv

you said afl didn’t change its competition

we will see the value of teams 17 and 18 in the next tv deal then we can compare

even then afl still has one more team than us but it’s ok they need it

Perth Red

Post Whore
That’s not what you said originally bruv

you said afl didn’t change its competition

we will see the value of teams 17 and 18 in the next tv deal then we can compare

even then afl still has one more team than us but it’s ok they need it
No go back and read it again, I said the two competitions are largely the same in what value they offer TV in 2018 compared to 2025.
Same number of games a week for each code as in 2018. extra team for both codes adding equal content (though I keep hearing Brisbane was infinitely more valuable than Tasmania), they added a round, we disbanded digital. Beyond that theres no difference to 2018. Yet the TV deals are miles apart in comparison. Hmmmm?

2025 $400mill (maybe) V $498.8mill
$98.8 mill gap

2018 gap $345mill v $392mill
$47mill

Wb1234

Referee
No go back and read it again, I said the two competitions are largely the same in what value they offer TV in 2018 compared to 2025.
Same number of games a week for each code as in 2018. extra team for both codes adding equal content (though I keep hearing Brisbane was infinitely more valuable than Tasmania), they added a round, we disbanded digital. Beyond that theres no difference to 2018. Yet the TV deals are miles apart in comparison. Hmmmm?

2025 $400mill (maybe) V $498.8mill
$98.8 mill gap

2018 gap $345mill v $392mill
$47mill
Tasmania

and our extra games haven’t gone to market yet unlike the afls

so wrong again

Perth Red

Post Whore
Tasmania

and our extra games haven’t gone to market yet unlike the afls

so wrong again
eh? Our extra team came in for the new tv deal which started this year! Likely Tassie will be in for theirs starting in 2025.

We both added one new team to the comps for the new deals.

Nothing has changed between the codes for the 2018 and 2025 deals (Afl had 9 games in 2018, we had 8. Still do) , yet the Tv revenue gap in their first years of deal has more than doubled!

Wb1234

Referee
eh? Our extra team came in for the new tv deal which started this year! Likely Tassie will be in for theirs starting in 2025.

We both added one new team to the comps for the new deals.

Nothing has changed between the codes for the 2018 and 2025 deals (Afl had 9 games in 2018, we had 8. Still do) , yet the Tv revenue gap in their first years of deal has more than doubled!
Tassie is part of their current deal lmao

they went to market with 19 teams

we haven’t gone to market yet for 17 teams let alone 18

Perth Red

Post Whore
Tassie is part of their current deal lmao

they went to market with 19 teams

we haven’t gone to market yet for 17 teams let alone 18
What?
we dont have 17 teams in the comp now? we didnt have 17 teams announced when we signed the tv deals in Dec '21? Dolphins werent announced as club 17 in Oct 21?
WTF you on about??

Wb1234

Referee
What?
we dont have 17 teams in the comp now? we didnt have 17 teams announced when we signed the tv deals in Dec '21? Dolphins werent announced as club 17 in Oct 21?
WTF you on about??
It wasn’t put to competitive tender so there was no competitive tension

afl had paramount and Stan bidding as well as nine and ten on top of the incumbents

hope this explains it for you

Perth Red

Post Whore
It wasn’t put to competitive tender so there was no competitive tension

afl had paramount and Stan bidding as well as nine and ten on top of the incumbents

hope this explains it for you
haha, yes I know, it was a major f**k up by Vlandys that cost the games hundreds of millions and should have seen him step down. Glad you understand that.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So now you’ve switched arguments ?

Hahhaha

Bless
no you did lol. You are just confirming that the massive doubling of the tv gap is due to Vlandys fcking up the tv rights. Something Ive known all along.

So despite both codes being fundamentally the same from 2018 to 2025 tv deal the gap has doubled because vlandys fcked it up. Glad we got there. hope you enjoyed the journey.

Wb1234

Referee
no you did lol. You are just confirming that the massive doubling of the tv gap is due to Vlandys fcking up the tv rights. Something Ive known all along.

So despite both codes being fundamentally the same from 2018 to 2025 tv deal the gap has doubled because vlandys fcked it up. Glad we got there. hope you enjoyed the journey.
I’m saying until the nrl does it’s next deal you can’t compare and you are trolling by doing so

taipan

Referee

Whilst you continue to crap on about the NRL deal, you will get the response you invited.You consider yourself the guru on the AFL and NRL(not disclosed) deals and bitch on about the NRL one regularly.
BTW you attempted to lecture me on averaging, when in fact I attempt to do this when buying shares($ cost averaging).

Inflation and CPI index has nothing to do with TV deal payments ,like ones contracted in 2022 and not coming into operation til 2025 and not finishing til end 2031 LOL. Impacts of costs of goods and services the AFL needs and outlays, such as transport costs, staff labour costs and players costs ,medical ,education etc that within a 7 year period one expects costs/ salaries to rise.They all tend to rise more so in a longer time span.

I have asked prior which you still have not provided an answer as to the advert income to the respective Tv deals.Because you continue to make comparisons ,and as advertising revenue is the backbone of the Tv industry FTA wise and to a lesser
extent cable is an important consideration, when bagging a code for securing"lesser monies".IOW one Tv outlet is financially more funded than other due this factor.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
Whilst you continue to crap on about the NRL deal, you will get the response you invited.You consider yourself the guru on the AFL and NRL(not disclosed) deals and bitch on about the NRL one regularly.
BTW you attempted to lecture me on averaging, when in fact I attempt to do this when buying shares($ cost averaging).

Inflation and CPI index has nothing to do with TV deal payments ,like ones contracted in 2022 and not coming into operation til 2025 and not finishing til end 2031 LOL. Impacts of costs of goods and services the AFL needs and outlays, such as transport costs, staff labour costs and players costs ,medical ,education etc that within a 7 year period one expects costs/ salaries to rise.They all tend to rise more so in a longer time span.

I have asked prior which you still have not provided an answer as to the advert income to the respective Tv deals.Because you continue to make comparisons ,and as advertising revenue is the backbone of the Tv industry FTA wise and to a lesser
extent cable is an important consideration, when bagging a code for securing"lesser monies".IOW one Tv outlet is financially more funded than other due this factor.
If the nrl does get 600 million pa 99 percent of his posts will become redundant

Wb1234

Referee
His continual not comparing like with like is redundant.He continues to revive a dead cat.
He gets a lot of responses to his trolling so it just keeps getting repeated as naseum

This whole forum is a bit skewed by people who post pro afl content all the time

Latest posts