What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who'd like to win a Premiership?

Pazza

First Grade
I dont understand why people would want Cayless in the Second row?

His hard defence is a must in the Front row!

slippery eel

Juniors
Colonel Eel said:
slippery eel said:
I wish it was

Pay
Morris
Vella
Hindmarsh
Cayless
Smith

I hate to say it Slip but the Eels won't win a premiership with Vella at prop.

The eels wont win a premiership with Vella as your main forward, but in a side that has Pay, Smith and shit I forgot Dymock he would of done his job. You can't make Vella your top gun.... he never steps up ie SOO.

bartman

Immortal
IMO - in my opinion
IMHO - in my honest/humble opinion

A good pack these days means good starting six AND good three coming off the bench.

My choice for start of 2004 would be (* = definites):
Cayless *
Morris *
Pearson
Hindmarsh *
Cannings
Hopkins

Vella
Widders
Wagon

And there's heaps of other options too (Tsoulos, Armit, Muckert, Stapleton etc)

Chins up, it can happen in 2004!

Eelementary

Post Whore
Whether or not Morley was going to be dropped isn't important. Since that game, he has become a monster. Same as the Panthers pack.

We have honest and skilled toilers in Hindy and Hopkins, but we NEED aggro forwards. Treacy I thought was good in this mould, but we need someone with sting in their defence. Anyone for Villasanti, Morley or Leuluai? ME! And PARRA!

I think this pack is a good one:

8. Cayless - aggro, has passion, strong, great defence, isnpirational leader

9. Morris - we saw later in the season just what he can do when he plays at his preferred position

10. Cannings - I think he will be an enforcer type, certainly in attack; he is nearly unstoppable

11. Hindmarsh - LOVE him; if only he could become more aggressive in defence

12. Armit - this bloke is tall (from what I remember), makes metres and isn't afraid of getting his hands dirty; with Hopkins off ther bench for him, I think it would work great

13. Muckert - I think Wags off the bench running at a tired defence would work great; this guy is GOOD

I just think BS needs to remind the pack that this is professional football, not ballet.

Eelectrica

Referee
Eelementary said:
I just think BS needs to remind the pack that this is professional football, not ballet.

That's what I'm trying to say. From being a finess or Ballet team we will become a tough hard nosed team who can absorb the punishment and dish it back out again.

Pazza

First Grade
Armit is a gun! I remember some of his games, especially against brisbane, Armit put in a strong display against a pack made up of representative players. I remember Armit putting wekcke on his back a couple of time which is real important in slowing down the play the ball.

In the starting Pack Cayless and Hindmarsh will be doing most of the work but Cannings and Armit can definately make an impact in their support roles. Pearson will prove work ethic when Cayless is not on the field and Vella will Follow up with hit ups hopefully off quick play the balls.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Chipmunk said:
Suitman said:
Eelectrica said:
I that's what Smith is going to attempt to do in the offseason. Change the style of play. Get the props doing more hard work and increase their intensity.

Ahhhhh, shouldn't they be doing that already???
Being told to do more hard work and increase their intensity??

If Smith hasn't been doing that, what in the hell has he been telling them??

If he actually needs to tell them that next season, wouldn't you think that he hasn't been doing his job properly this year?

I would.

Suity

I will tell u what he has been telling them all year. This would be the weekly immortal words of Supercoach Smith

1. Dont play the ball fast, it will make the game too fast for out opposition to whip our butts.
2. Wags is our most dangerous attacking player, he has got all the moves. I want all you guys running off him, he will put you through holes all day.
3. Lets be as flashy as possible. Chip kicking 10 metres out from our own try line is a great option.
4. Geez, how good is that Wags, he is just terrific all over the park. Caylo will be injured soon and Wags will make a great Captain, he has got Class written all over him!
5. The next forward that goes forward in attack I am dragging straight off, if you arent going to run across field to find that gap then you arent going to play in my team.
6. I love you Wags, you are my hero!!!
7. I am sick of our team overusing our centres Jamie Lyon and David Vaeliki. We dont want two international players in the centres getting the ball too much. They might just be able to do something.
8. It's OK guys, we will be winning comps when Dykes is back. When Dykes fires he is the best in the game. I would swap Freddie and Laurie Daley in his hey day for Dykesy anyway. He is just great. I just wish he was half the fooballer that Wags is!!

Oh yeah, I just cant wait for 2004 with this clown!
Chipmunk - this is funny stuff IMO.

Pazza

First Grade
Eelementary said:

9. Morris - we saw later in the season just what he can do when he plays at his preferred position

10. Cannings - I think he will be an enforcer type, certainly in attack; he is nearly unstoppable

12. Armit - this bloke is tall (from what I remember), makes metres and isn't afraid of getting his hands dirty; with Hopkins off ther bench for him, I think it would work great

13. Muckert - I think Wags off the bench running at a tired defence would work great; this guy is GOOD

Nice Pack Ele!

I think that Muckert will play a bigger role than most of us think he will. I think he is the kind of player suited to hard agressive combat like football. The top sides are so agressive, even though the roosters lost the big one they still put in some huge hits that would break the toughest forwards in the comp. The bulldogs and the warriors will just keep on coming at you allllll day looonnggg! Muckert isn't a big player but he is tough in a Michael Crocker, Scott Sattler, Luke ricketson kind of way. I have seen a few of his games and he looks like a strong customer. The kind of player that will add more balance to our pack!

Eelementary

Post Whore

Glad that my suggestion seems to be OK. I just think Vella and Pearson off the bench for Caylo and Cannings would work great; Vella;s kick returns and quick play-the-balls at a tired opposition would work great, and Pearso - well, he's an aggro player, an old hardhead, and we need him.

If Wagon can find top form, I think it'll be great. I think this guy when in form is a strong runner, and a great defender. But I am VERY impressed with Muckert (in fact, I am impressed with both our Cowboys signings). He is strong, aggressive and never quits. If he lays the platform, and then Wags comes on in form against a tired opposition, we will tear them to shreds.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I can't believe no ones mentioned Muspratt!! out of all the signings this bloke has impressed me the most. His fast, strong, a great passing game, tackles well and can easilly slot in three positions five/eight, lock and second row.

I really believe that Graham Murray didn't use those two guys [Muckertt and Muspratt] as well as he should of and didn't get that much out of them. the game plan seemed to based on Rauhihi and Campon running the ball up in their first 4 plays of the ruck and then they used those speedy outside backs.

Pazza's right both those guys will play a mch bigger role than what people would make out.I'm predicting their careers will explode next year.

Chipmunk

Coach
eelavation said:
I can't believe no ones mentioned Muspratt!! out of all the signings this bloke has impressed me the most. His fast, strong, a great passing game, tackles well and can easilly slot in three positions five/eight, lock and second row.

I really believe that Graham Murray didn't use those two guys [Muckertt and Muspratt] as well as he should of and didn't get that much out of them. the game plan seemed to based on Rauhihi and Campon running the ball up in their first 4 plays of the ruck and then they used those speedy outside backs.

Pazza's right both those guys will play a mch bigger role than what people would make out.I'm predicting their careers will explode next year.

I agree with Muckert playing a bigger role with Parra than he did with the Cowboys. He is a big guy and I think he will only continue to grow. He looks like he could be the player to pull on a few big hits for us next year.

As for Muspratt, I really dont know. He seemed to be always used as a bit of a 'bits and pieces' kind of player who seemed to get put whether they had a gap. I would be interested to see him come off the bench and play lock as he has got some ball skills that would come in handy when the defence gets tired. Especially now that the Club has offloaded Solo.

Pazza

First Grade
Frank Pritchard is another forward (if we signed him) that could add some definite punch off the bench. By the start of next season if we want to get top four we need our forwards to be Eating Lightning and crapping thunder :evil: !!!!!!

A BIG well oiled tank ready to roll every team that stands in our way!

glamour_eel

Juniors
Eelementary whats happened to you :( you used to be so optimistic, 4 months ago you were all positive. Now saying we can't win a comp. I think your a legend eelementary but what you have said is bullshit. Sorry for the foul language.

Penrith Panthers baught hardly anybody for this year. They had pretty much the same players that played mediocre footy in 2002, that won the wooden spoon in 2001. It was all about attitude & toughening up. I'm not saying we will do a penny panthers but it's possible. I'm just highlighting the fact that you don't need en entire clean out, new props or whatever to win a comp. The problems everyone has mentioned; Vella/Cayless and the forwards, Smith were all present with us in 2001. We didn't win the comp but we fkn obliterated every record in our path. That to me points out that that is not our problem. I think when Vella/cayless play together the team lifts. Yet they are always injured so I guess fitness is something they need to imrove on rapidly.

I like Chris Armit, he's a mean take no shit, aggressive in your face forward. I think he'll cement his spot in the 17 soon. Hopkins and Hindy are a terrific 2nd row duo. I honestly think our problem lies in the halves. I think Wags is ok defensively but jeez we'll struggle if our attack is based around him. I'd like to see him at lock. Wags is very very average in attack, and I think shifting him to lock paves the way for some fresh attacking spark in the shape of Muckert/Muspratt/Thorman. Dykes is horrible and as much as i'd like to believe he WILL improve time is not something we have.

We can win the comp, call me dreamy or dumb call me any name you will but i'm so glad that i'll be cheering on the eels in 2004 believing that we can win the Premiership, rather than purely for the love of the team. It would be a pretty hollow feeling. I can't wait till 2004. Cos with the right attitude, I know we have the artillery to win!!!

GO YOU EEEEEEEELS!!!

Latest posts