What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who'd like to win a Premiership?

Pazza

First Grade
But you need to admit that the game has changed since 2001. Defencive lines are closer together and with the dominate tackle it is very important to be physical in defence.

I dont think there is a problem in the halves. If the forwards provide them with enough room then they are going to get the job done. Halves work much more effectively on retreating and buggered defences than fast in your face defences (due to the fact the forwards haven't done their job). You could have stuck Rodwell and Carter behind that Penrith pack on grand final day and they still would have won. The penrith pack were so dominate that a player like Priddis who no one associates with creativity and spark was able to make 3 line breaks, score a try and set 2 up.

This is what we want parra to be like, give our key players more time to think with the ball in their hands instead of having defences rush up at them all the time because the forwards have been dominated in each tackle in the set slowing our play the ball and allowing the opposition more time to set their defencive line.

Eelementary

Post Whore
glamour eel

Thanks for your comments.

This is the thing: I haven't been a fan for as long as some of you (I only returned to Asutralia in 2000 and started supporting Parra then), but I tell you what - I am as passionate if not more than most people would think. I see, bleed, sweat - heck, everything I do is Blue and Gold.

Recently, I have felt this void inside of me. I will admit - this year was disappointing, and we really could take some great things out of it. But sometimes I think that our coach has no idea. I mean, like when we played Penno. He should've told them to play a very physical game. But we didn't - we got streamrolled. Also, the game against Wests at PArra was nearly a bad outcome. I mean, Wests are no push over, but if we want to be taken seriosuly, Souths, Wests, the Eagles and any other 'weakish' teams should be blown away by us. It simply isn't happening.

I'd still like to think BS can take the Eels to a Premiership and make us competitive again, but can he really do it?

When he said 'big, ugly guys', and when I saw our signings this is what I was pleased with: Cannings, Pearson, Stapleton, Muckert. All the other blokes will no doubt be great for us, but we should have gone all out to sign Civoniciva, or at least to keep Hex or Chan. But we released them, as we did Dunley, Hodgo (no huge loss), Richards (if this bloke could find consistent form he'd be lethal; I'm a fan of this guy), Hex (granted, he found form late in the season, but he found great form), Chan (he may not set the world alight, but he's a hardhead, like we need), Crouch (people can bag him all they want; this guy was solid and hit hard in defence), and a few youngsters.

I just don't get the impression Brian has caught on yet. We need BIG, STRONG forwards. We need more players like Cannings, who takle it up to the line and make 10 or 15 metres every time he hits it up.

I can't really say. I HOPE BRIAN SMITH (WHOM I LOVE AS A PERSON AND I REALLY DO RESPECT; IT'S NOTHING PERSONAL BRIAN) CAN GET THE MONKEY OFF HIS BACK AND SHUT ME UP. But I just don't see him doing it. In 2001, the game was PERFECTLY suited to our style. We should have won the Grand Final, and didn't. Since then, we have been too much of a hot and cold team.

I AM looking forward to 2004, because I am a Cannings fan and I really like Pearso and Stapleton, plus the Cowboys lads seem like great players and the Legendary Guru Jnr. is back at home.

But when I look at the last two Premiers - Roosters and Panthers - I see teams with and intensity and attitude I am not sure Parramatta can quite yet achieve.

glamour_eel

Juniors
Eelementary said:
glamour eel

Thanks for your comments.

This is the thing: I haven't been a fan for as long as some of you (I only returned to Asutralia in 2000 and started supporting Parra then), but I tell you what - I am as passionate if not more than most people would think. I see, bleed, sweat - heck, everything I do is Blue and Gold.

I can imagine you'd be like that. 8)
Yeah actually what you've mentioned is freakishly similar to what I think.

I don't know if I can take another season of the shit dished out in 2002 and 2003. Hopefully Fitzgerald has had a word to Smith that if he dosn't deliver anything promising thisyear, he will be payed out and shown the door. The thing that keeps me going though, is the element of suprise and unpredictability. Thats what i'm relying on. So fingers crossed we can at least give the finals a good shake up.

Eelectrica

Referee
glamour_eel said:
Hopefully Fitzgerald has had a word to Smith that if he dosn't deliver anything promising thisyear, he will be payed out and shown the door.

Based on an interview I read on the Foxsports web site around a month ago I think that's the plan. I'm not sure where the cut off point is, but considering Farrar was sacked after losing in the second round of the finals, I'm guessing Smithy has to take us to the 3rd round. Which should happen. I mean in a fifteen team comp over a quarter of the teams are still a shot at a grand final 3 weeks into the finals series.

glamour_eel

Juniors
Eelectrica said:
glamour_eel said:
Hopefully Fitzgerald has had a word to Smith that if he dosn't deliver anything promising thisyear, he will be payed out and shown the door.

Based on an interview I read on the Foxsports web site around a month ago I think that's the plan. I'm not sure where the cut off point is, but considering Farrar was sacked after losing in the second round of the finals, I'm guessing Smithy has to take us to the 3rd round. Which should happen. I mean in a fifteen team comp over a quarter of the teams are still a shot at a grand final 3 weeks into the finals series.

Thanks for the info Eelectrica, appreciate it :eek:

Eelementary

Post Whore
BAsically, what it comes down to (I think) is this - I don't think my opinion is 100% wrong; a lot of people agree with me.

Now, not I (nor many others) are professionals, but surely ir is an alarming trend if I and many others agree that we need BIG changes to improve.

I'd be happy if we can be good all year and make the finals and be competitive. Premiership victories, although I'd LOVE to witness them, are not that important to me. But Parramatta once again becoming a powerhouse is.

I mean, the thing that sh*ts me is look at our team:

2002 Team

1. Hodgson (NSW rep)
2. Burt (City-Country rep, I think)
3. Lyon (Australia and NSW rep)
4. VAeliki (NZ)
5. Moodie (NSW)
6. Dykes (Dally M 5/8 of the year)
7. McFadden
8. Cayless (NZ)
9. Drew
10. Vella (NSW, Australia too I think?)
11. Hindmarsh (AUS, NSW)
12. Hindmarsh
13. Wagon (QLD)

2003 Team (our best 13 barring injuries and form slumps)

1. Hodgson
2. Burt
3. Lyon
4. Vaeliki
5. Moodie
6. Dykes
7. Green (QLD)
8. CAyless
9. Morris
10. Vella
11. Hindmarsh
12. Hopkins
13. Wagon

In both cases what I see is a vast degree of talent in many key positions. We have the best centre, second rower and possibly (when fit) props in the world at our disposal, and we continually get nowhere. PLus we have dozens of rep players.

Misty Bee

First Grade
I agree Eelementry. We need big changes.

Parra need to start strong. usually BS fiddles around with the side for the first half of the season, then comes home strong. I'd hate to think that we would be into Round 5 with patchy form. No one will gain confidence from that.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Misty Bee said:
I agree Eelementry. We need big changes.

Parra need to start strong. usually BS fiddles around with the side for the first half of the season, then comes home strong. I'd hate to think that we would be into Round 5 with patchy form. No one will gain confidence from that.

Brian Smith also seems to have a "bolter" in the early parts of the year eg Karl Lovell, Steve Crouch, Ben Kusto etc

Eelementary

Post Whore
We really should start the year off good - very good.

There is no excuse not to - we have the players, we have the coach. We need to get somewhere next year, and it starts from March.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Eelementary said:

There is no excuse not to - we have the players, we have the coach. We need to get somewhere next year, and it starts from March.

I don't think we have the coach or players to challenge for the priemership next year to tell you the truth!!

Our backline is very skinny if there are injuries to Lyon & Vaealiki!!

El Diablo

Post Whore
Ron Jeremy said:
Eelementary said:

I don't think we have the coach or players to challenge for the priemership next year to tell you the truth!!

I'm a bit worried about our forward pack too. Cayless and Vella have both been well below par and Cannings isn't some great Saviour that a few seem to be making him out to be. He's good but not that good.

If we don't hype up our chances then we can only go ood if we make the eight. We shouldn't be hoping for too much especially after this year.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
El Duque said:
Ron Jeremy said:
Eelementary said:

I'm a bit worried about our forward pack too. Cayless and Vella have both been well below par and Cannings isn't some great Saviour that a few seem to be making him out to be. He's good but not that good.

If we don't hype up our chances then we can only go ood if we make the eight. We shouldn't be hoping for too much especially after this year.

I agree!!.

Cannings recieved alot of hype when in negotiations which he really didn't deserve.....i thought his form after he signed wasn't that great!!

I honestly feel our recruitment has been poor.....im happy with Stapelton, Muckett, Muspratt, Grothe, Thorman but?? we paid a fortune for Cannings...we released Hekenberg for Pearson, Moi Moi, kativerata, Mc Kinnon, Pai???......i don't know if these are players that can mould into a premiership side....that's why i feel we will finish 7th.

El Diablo

Post Whore
I don't know how we can develop any cohesion/mateship (which I think is important) when we keep chaning teams every year. It hasn't worked for Smith so far.

Pazza

First Grade
haven't you learn't anything over the past years that smith has been at the club? Don't you realise that he doesn't sign too many high profile players! You just need to look at some of parra's best to see that they were no bodies before they came to the club.

The club didn't buy anyone to win us a premiership, we have got those players in Hindmarsh, Cayless, Lyon, Morris, Witt and Dykes. And if you don't rate those players you are a fool. Don't Bag Cannings!!! he is young and raw. But if smith sees potential then he must be good. Remember the last few young talents we snatched off other clubs such as Morris, Burt and Vaealiki. They turned out to be some pretty damn good players!

Maroubra Eel

Coach
I predict that by this time next year we won't be worrying about BS anymore. He will be gorrrnnneee after yet another shithouse year.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Maroubra Eel said:
I predict that by this time next year we won't be worrying about BS anymore. He will be gorrrnnneee after yet another shithouse year.

I agree.....for Brians sake he would be hoping for 4 pr 5 straight wins to start the year for the tension to ease.

I wonder if JT is being groomed as a possible replacement to Brian??

Eelementary

Post Whore
El Duque wrote:
Ron Jeremy wrote:
Eelementary wrote:

I am not sure about the coach anymore, but we do have the players. I mean, Graham, Burt, Petersen, Prince, McKinnon, Grothe, VAeliki, Lyon and some of the younger blokes provide plenty of talent and depth.

Forward-wise, I think we recruited well enough.

I agree!!.

Cannings recieved alot of hype when in negotiations which he really didn't deserve.....i thought his form after he signed wasn't that great!!

Watch thid guy next year. In a team with a great mate of his (Killer) and a inspirational pack (when fit), I think he'll thrive. And he is an offensively oriented prop, not a defensive one. And we need that to get metres.

I honestly feel our recruitment has been poor.....im happy with Stapelton, Muckett, Muspratt, Grothe, Thorman but?? we paid a fortune for Cannings...we released Hekenberg for Pearson, Moi Moi, kativerata, Mc Kinnon, Pai???......i don't know if these are players that can mould into a premiership side....that's why i feel we will finish 7th.

Moi Moi, if he can get fit, has enough potential to be a great star. He has size, pace and aggression. Pearson is and old hardhead with plenty of aggro (which we need).