What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

chance t williams might stay.....

butch82

Juniors
guys i got news 2day that there is a chance that tony williams might stay.my source told me ( he is good mates with krisnan inu) that if tony plays well this weekend that the eels r gona make another offer to him to stay.......they got till round 13 to make another deal.... i only got told this..... so if this is true we could see him stay...

spiderdan

Bench
staggereel i think it was posted that this was a possibility in another thread. i guess we'll see soon if it happens.

the_eel

Juniors
It does seem crazy that they'd give him one match in the top grade to prove his worth. You'd imagine that after however many years at the Club that they'd know by now whether or not he's part of their grand plan moving forward.

The Colonel

Immortal
Standard_Long_Bow.jpg

Gronk

Staff member
It does seem crazy that they'd give him one match in the top grade to prove his worth. You'd imagine that after however many years at the Club that they'd know by now whether or not he's part of their grand plan moving forward.

He needs to show the club that he's an 80 minute player I guess. Not go missing like he often does.

stuke

Bench
if this was on their minds originally wouldn't you think it would have been part of their negotiations. this season we have had a chance to blood him and have chosen TT and Reddy ahead of him. bit late now. we are chasing our tails.

bartman

Immortal
:lol: @ big c. I was looking for an image like that in the other thread.

It all comes down to what type of person Tony W is... what he's most interested in - staying at the club, or a big pay cheque over at Brooky.

If Tony really wants to stay, and values the development he has had through this club then he'd accept less than what Manly has offered. It may sound naive in these times when everyone in life seems to just be out for the maximum that they can get, but hopefully there are still people that have values other than just the almighty dollar one.

Apparently we offered him half what Manly did. If he shows enough for the club to up that offer by a small amount, then the ball really is in Tony's court to decide what type of guy he is, and where his future lies.

bartman

Immortal
Of course the other side of the coin is, do we want the club to put so much emphasis on a situation where a player has to perform only when the money/contract is on the line, rather than basing our offers on performance s up to that time?

Our original offer to Tony would have been based on what we thought was decent in the scheme of things and development goals of the club/squad, and if Manly happen to come along and have more salary cap cash free at the time, should that really budge our judgement on these things as a club? In doing so we risk showing our younger talents a culture where they'd better have a blinder in their most important week in contract negotiations, and screw how you go the rest of the time (eg perhaps like Hayne last week, the big money now comes in regardless)?

Interesting dilemma...

Hurriflatch

Referee
Quick question

now that we know what life under Hagan is like

Would the haters take Brian Smith back?

El Diablo

Post Whore
nope

10 years without a premiership

Smith let some bloody good players go too

he also isn't popular amongst players going off polls

parra pete

Referee
I think you Hagan haters may eat your words later on.
Competitions are won in the last weeks of September..not the last weeks of May..Show a little faith, or jump off the bandwagon NOW..Kaaaaaarthunk.

MuleEel

Juniors
I thought there was no way we could ruin the decision to move on from Brian Smith. Then when we signed Hagan I thought bloody hell he is probably the only coach I cant stand the idea of.
I quite like Hagan as a person and after a decent season last year he deserves some credit, but generally I think he is not much of a coach. He all but ruined Newcastle, and his time as Qld coach was unprofitable to say the least.

strider

Post Whore
All coaches have their good and bad points - there's very few that are the complete package ..... we just seem to attract the "nice" ones.

stuke

Bench
Quick question

now that we know what life under Hagan is like

Would the haters take Brian Smith back?

no matter what, it was time for Brian to leave Parra. he transformed the club and did a wonderful job, but probably stayed a bit to long unfortunately.