What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eel Eric Grothe Jr told to find new home

stuke

Bench
with no offence to his dad, an all-time favourite of mine, i would imagine that if he had of played under the same media scrutiny as his son he would have found himself in the same predicament. it's in the genes!

they are both pretty special talents that needed a lot of man management to get them right (or even there) on the day. over the last two seasons it would seem that the personal management hasn't been there for Eric and this is the end result.

forward pass

Coach
If someone hasn't got the 'desire' then you need to give them some by setting challenges and goals and showing an interest in them. It can be done.

You would be amazed how people that you least expect will respond to challenges put in front of them.

strider

Post Whore
This is a poor, poor, poor reflection on our coaching staff. They are basically saying that Eric has problems with his game but we really can't fix them. Let's pass the problem to someone else.

F**k that is so shortsighted and lazy imo. He has a bloody good player inside him somewhere, he just needs a decent coach to bring it out.

Glad I don't treat my staff like that.
mmmm - eric should head over to manly or melbourne and have a tough system whip him into shape and he could potentially be the best winger in the NRL

strider

Post Whore
with no offence to his dad, an all-time favourite of mine, i would imagine that if he had of played under the same media scrutiny as his son he would have found himself in the same predicament. it's in the genes!

they are both pretty special talents that needed a lot of man management to get them right (or even there) on the day. over the last two seasons it would seem that the personal management hasn't been there for Eric and this is the end result.
agree 100%

Bazal

Post Whore
People have been saying how bad Tautai and Williams have been and how they have been worse than Grothe (Which makes me :lol::lol:)...ask yourselves how bad Eric must have been going if he couldnt even force one of those 2 rookies, playing out of position off the wing in 1sts!

Besides i believe we have the backs fairly well covered for next season anyway

Hayne,Burt,Inu,Smith,Reddy,Etu,Tautai,Wright,Hauraki

Yes sign Kaufusi but we need some depth in the halves desperatly!!

Eric hasn't played in about a month with his chronic back injury

Bazal

Post Whore
Also, to those saying Grothe doesn't have the "desire"....how is it that the attitude change of everyone else under Hagan get's lambasted, but with Eric it's all his own fault? He's always been laid back...maybe he doesn't train as hard as the rest, or run around with the same vigour in the warm up, but he's never been without desire when he runs out on that field. Smithy got the best that anyone has ever got out of him, maybe not Eric's best, but the best we've seen...and he played Origin. Hagan comes along, and we lose him again. Co-incidence?

forward pass

Coach
He's always been laid back...maybe he doesn't train as hard as the rest, or run around with the same vigour in the warm up, but he's never been without desire when he runs out on that field. Smithy got the best that anyone has ever got out of him, maybe not Eric's best, but the best we've seen...and he played Origin. Hagan comes along, and we lose him again. Co-incidence?

I can tell you his dad was EXACTLY the same. Grothe snr often looked like he didn't want to be out there.

f**k this "defensive issues" bullsh*t. Neither tautai nor Williams have the ability to defend any better than Grothe.

The problem is Hagan. It has been known for years that Grothe is a power runner and not a sprinter and as such has problems turning and chasing. So what does Hagan do? Makes him stand 20m in from the sideline, basically telling the opposition to kick behind him and be awarded a try.

Instead of ditching him because he has one deficiency, why not set our defensive line so that our deficiencies aren't easily exploited? Oh, I forgot, that takes someone with brains who can think without Andrew Johns.

Unfortunately, we're stuck with Hagan.

But wait, there's more. Hagan will not be here beyond next year, but Grothe has a contract that extends beyond that. So why is Hagan given the freedom to let go of players when he himself has no future here?

Everyone wants Anderson, right? Well, what if one of the first thing Anderson says is, "Gee, I wish Grothe hadn't have been let go. I could have covered for his slow turn quite easily and we'll really miss his power running and aggressive attitude."

Hagan, who is little more than a lame duck waiting to be picked up by the dogs, should have no right to make any decisions in relation to our roster.

Parra Guru

Coach
This is really disappointing. Especially as Hagan at first said Guru was only being dropped to find his form.... We haven't seen him since! He did the right thing and turned up for Wenty each week, yet he persisted with the same mediocre backline for how long? And is blooding Tony Williams for Manly instead.

Hagan is just continually disappointing, and obviously has a set against Guru. I guess he's one of those players some coaches can't handle.

Also his reasoning 'we have Tautai and Reddy' how pathetic. Tautai has had only a handful of half decent games all year.

lucablight

First Grade
I'm pretty disgusted by the whole situation. Eric hasn't even been given a chance to redeem himself after being dropped. Anyone who is applauding this has a really short memory. Just last season Grothe was being talked about as one of the components of possibly the best backlines of the modern era.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I just can't get my head around the fact that we release a bloke of the quality of Eric without having a contingiency plan in place, it really doesn't make sense at all but than again not much does at the moment.

bartman

Immortal
Putting it in perspective, we haven't released him yet. He's just been told if he wants to find another deal, the club won't stand in his way.

That's code for he won't be playing much of a part in plans next year, and doesn't stand much chance of rising above Wenty I guess. But Hages has said his contract will be honoured, but they're just being honest with the guy that he has slipped down the pecking order behind Reddy and TT (and probably Burt if Hayne can be consistently good at #1) in terms of first choice wing spots for next year.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I wouldn't imagine there'd be many if any NRL club willing to gamble on him at the money he's on but England is a big option imo.

Parra

Referee
Wait until they are injured and then f**k them off.

Makes Koder Nasser seem like the benevolent society.

sharks8601

Juniors
Send grothe our way
We will give you simmons
Although i don’t think ricky holds a high opinion of grothe after the Australian debacle

Parra

Referee
The Eels are ditching Guru.

Same moronic coach who ditched Tahu.

They can hide behind all the clauses they want to. There was a unanimous agreement regarding the 'sanctity of the contract' only a week or so ago.

Pay the man his money. No shopping him around, no negotiations. Unless, of course, every NRL CEO has been lying recently.

Stagger eel

Staff member
The Eels are ditching Guru.

Same moronic coach who ditched Tahu.

They can hide behind all the clauses they want to. There was a unanimous agreement regarding the 'sanctity of the contract' only a week or so ago.

Pay the man his money. No shopping him around, no negotiations. Unless, of course, every NRL CEO has been lying recently.

I don't know wtf you're talking about...Guru will be paid his money it wouldn't matter if it was here, at another NRL club or O/S...fact remains he won't be out of pocket but we'll be one experianced player short which I'm more concerned about.

as for Tahu??? I think ED sums it up well.

Latest posts