What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Elliot gone!?

bigfoot

Juniors
I want confirmation as to whether Matt Adamson has been given the flick or not. Lots of hearsay but nothing confirmed yet is there?

I haven't seen anything confirmed.
Doubt he would get the flick though... not with Elliott still there. They're pretty much gay lovers. :lol:

murraymob

Coach
Adamson and Collins will both stay as even more now elliott will want his people running the show.He will trust no one from penrith

maple_69

Bench
Joke of a club. As I said over on PI, I really hope I'm wrong on this but I see nothing but failure next year. How we 'improved' I don't know. We fell 5 points outside the 8 while we fell 6 points outside last year. Sure we won 3 extra games but we also were far from competitive against the top sides this year. If anything I'd say we took a step back. We beat most of the sides in the top 8 last year including Manly. We were competitive basically every game. This year we were completely and utterly embarrassed time and again. Where we improved, was beating the dud teams that we always should be never did. Perhaps that step is a sign of improvement but personally I don't think thats good enough.
We have rumours floating around most of our senior players wanting out, obvious unrest from some juniors and personality clashes. He picks the wrong teams week in week out. He plays favourites. He backs a horrible stuff that make the problems that much worse. He is stubborn and refuses to change his was when they are obviously not working. His gameplans are boring, unimaginative and unsuccesful. He is stifling the incredible batch of juniors of their creative flair and talent, the very same juniors he was FORCED to call into the squad. He is also destroying the clubs fan base and financial situation.

Mx said it on PI and I agree wholeheartedly. Its him or me. The board have chosen to keep him, now I am dropping any tangible support for the club. I'll watch the games on TV and hope for success but until the board either starts treating us with respect or is dumped themselves, they won't be seeing any benefits from having me as a fan. I know they don't give two sh*ts about me and most of the other people with these sentiments as displayed by one of the mods reactions to mx's post, but there it is.

bigfoot

Juniors
So Penrith fans, what do we have to look forward to next year?...
Another season of players picked out of position, coaches favourites, other players ignored, boring gameplans (if you can call them that) that don't suit our players, and above all mediocre results.
Another season of Luke Lewis at halfback, and Nathan Smith at lock.
Another season of screwing around with hookers, picking Keith Peters ahead of Iosefa and Aiton.
Another season of ignoring talented players, such as Jarrod Sammut (even though some won't agree), etc.
And what happens if some of our players get injured?
We're basically screwed. We have absolutely no depth.
We have a thousand players leaving at the end of this season, and we're only gaining ONE average player in Gavin Cooper.
What do we have to look forward to? A Wooden Spoon, I'm sure of it...
:( Prove me wrong Penrith.
Edit: LOL was beaten to some of this by maple_69

murraymob

Coach
i am hearing they had no choice bottom line to offload elliott and his team was over 1 million dollars.The club is trading poorly and the funds are just not there .I wonder if crowds are down if the board members will not use there privliges at the presidents lounge.It would cost us $1000 a game to go there

Caged Panther

First Grade
Bitterly dissapointed is how I would discribe my own feelings at this decision all it does is delay the inevitable. I simply don't see things changing between now and when we have to start making decisions about the coach for the 2010 prior to the halfway mark of next season.

Nevertheless I'll buy my membership and continue to support the team, simply because I can't imagine doing anything else.

pantherlove

Juniors
What I want to know is how do the players go forward with a coach like this next year? How does Elliot coach the team after all of this? professionality can only go so far. And with what little respect can be salvaged will it be enough for us to avaoid the cuttlery?
I am devistated.

Dave Q

Coach
Bitterly dissapointed is how I would discribe my own feelings at this decision all it does is delay the inevitable. I simply don't see things changing between now and when we have to start making decisions about the coach for the 2010 prior to the halfway mark of next season.

Nevertheless I'll buy my membership and continue to support the team, simply because I can't imagine doing anything else.

I agree with this.

But Elliots position is clearly untenable when there is dischord at board level thats been made public. Its the players who ultimately have his destiny in their hands now.

Ive said it before that I dont blame entirely blame Elliot for the poor performances. The Panthers need another 4 or 5 solid first graders to make an meaningful challenge for the top 4 and if players wont come or the finances arent there, the options are limited. And Elliot cant control all of these facets. They are other people's responsibilities. People who are underperforming and it seems, will continue to do so, so long as the management support them.

I think its important to keep up the fight and support the team no matter what. This underlying passion is the platform from which this club will eventually overcome.

You dont leave the trench when under fire lads and laddesses, you stick with your mates right to the end. You stick with your club. You'll get through the other side of this some day.

Last edited:

Big Mick

Referee
I know they don't give two sh*ts about me and most of the other people with these sentiments as displayed by one of the mods reactions to mx's post, but there it is.

I thought that was disgraceful as well and made my feelings known

murraymob

Coach
i dont post often on p1 due to the arragance of the mods .When i raised the issue of the gates at eastern grandstand station street side.They made all sorts of excuses untill i stated i thought it was a fire and safety hazard. It now has been open at the end of the game last 2 home games

mxlegend99

Referee
I picked my team based on location. The alternative was the Eels. I feel i made the right decision.

Imagine being a Broncos fan... finishing 8th is a dissapointing season. The wooden spoon is unheard of.

pantherlove

Juniors
I had that choice (broncos) Glad i didn't. The pnly thing that will stop me from supporting Penrith is the team ceasing to exsist

choc_soldier

Coach
To say I'm filthy would be an understatement.

Our club is an absolute joke.

But I will still be a Panther until the day I die.

pantherz9103

First Grade
To sum up the club's plight over the past 20 years:

I picked them because at the time (20 years ago) Penrith appeared to be a club going places, and we were steadily improving until winning the 1991 title. A long dry spell made supporting them during my high school years, somewhat an excuse for my 'mates' to give me sh*t but in 2003-04 we appeared to be going places again. 1 below par year with Lang in charge (2005) and then the club signs Elliot. This current 'long dry spell' doesn't have an obvious end in sight.

*Sandy*

First Grade
i dont post often on p1 due to the arragance of the mods .When i raised the issue of the gates at eastern grandstand station street side.They made all sorts of excuses untill i stated i thought it was a fire and safety hazard. It now has been open at the end of the game last 2 home games

You do realise that the moderators are only just members like you and I? They don't work at Penrith.

Just say Max Cowan or Andrew Farrell, they are the only two that I am aware of that could have taken your enquiries further within the club.

*Sandy*

First Grade
And getting back on topic ... I am disappointed in regards to the decision by the board today.

The only positive I can hope to get out of this is that they have put Matt Elliott under pressure to perform. And I hope they keep the pressure up.

None of this "guarantee of job" business that we keep reading. Make him accountable for his actions.

Pantha-Boy

Juniors
i am very dissapointed.
i was very excited and i was just emotionally destroyed when i heard the news.
DOWN WITH LEARY.