What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Socceroos v Ghana

fish eel

Immortal
It was tough, but it was a penalty and it had to be a red.

No doubt it hit his upper arm. His arms weren't straight down his side.

Sorry guys penalty and red

bartman

Immortal
Agree Fish. On the replay you can see the flab on his arm wobble from the impact - no way it was a shoulder.

Should have had his hands by his sides when on the goal line, not out posing like a goalie. Ref had no choice.

Suitman

Post Whore
It was tough, but it was a penalty and it had to be a red.

No doubt it hit his upper arm. His arms weren't straight down his side.

Sorry guys penalty and red

If that's the rules, then sorry, Gronk is right. The sport is f**king stupid.
What's Kewell supposed to do? Whip out a Swiss army knife and cut his f**king arm off in .003 of a second?? :roll:

Sorry mate, dumb decision and wrong. The rule is "deliberate hand ball isn't it?

Suity

bartman

Immortal
By having your arms outstretched while on the goalline, then that is probably seen as a deliberate choice (not to pin them to your sides out of harms way).

If it happened against us, stopped a certain goal and we didn't get the penalty/red card, we'd all be up in arms. Stupid rule or not Kewell should have known better.

fish eel

Immortal
Mate you can't stand there, on the goal line flailing your arms around. It wasn't deliberate, but he put himself in a position on the goal line where his arm prevented a goal. If his arms were by his side or behind his back, then he would have got away with it

we can still win this. Just one goal...

bartman

Immortal
We've regrouped and are competing quite well... this could still easily go either way, or hold out as a 1-1 draw.

Unlucky not to get the win really, played great in the 2nd half with only 10men. Kingston had a big game in goal for Ghana didn't he.

Eelementary

Post Whore
You're right - technically by the rules, it was a straight red and penalty. But damn that's a harsh rule - I don't ever think a defender in Kewell's situation deserves to be sent off. The humiliation of giving away a penalty is enough IMO.

Still, proud of the Aussie boys. And if Ghana beat Germany, all we have to do is beat Serbia. If Germany thrash Ghana, we have to thump Serbia.

bartman

Immortal
I think Serbia will be a harder team for us than Ghana. A draw is doableif we are at our best, a win might be a bridge too far...

strider

Post Whore
well its a pretty simple equation now

Ghana def Germany
Australia def Serbia

easy :thumn .... second round here we come

Suitman

Post Whore
You're right - technically by the rules, it was a straight red and penalty. But damn that's a harsh rule - I don't ever think a defender in Kewell's situation deserves to be sent off. The humiliation of giving away a penalty is enough IMO.

My point, as to why I said Gronk is probably right.

Next time Harry, cut your arm off when the strike is made towards your forearm. :roll:
Rules need to be challenged or changed. The game needs to be opened up to at least a bit of consideration as to what they do right or wrong.
I'm a huge football fan, , but fair dinkum, I can see why people hate the game.

Suity

Tyler Durden

Juniors
wonder if the pim is wishing that he had included nicky carle or scott mcdonald or joel griffiths in the squad.

Gronk

Staff member
It's a stupid game because if you break the code down to the bare bones - it's a glorious game of skill and stamina.

The modern game that I see however as an outsider who enjoys sport - is a game that is marred by theatrics and knee jerk referee decisions.

When players are in attack mode and their priority is thinking about how to pull a penalty or free kick as they run through traffic rather than score a goal with their skill, then the game has serious problems.

strider

Post Whore
yeah - what gronk said .... it seems its as much (probably more) about conning the ref as it is about good play - ohhh he tripped, ohhhh he pushed me, ohhh give him a yellow card, ohhhh i'm so hurt, ohhh it went out off him not me, etc, etc, etc

on another note - is it the ball or what? - past world cups i seem to recall them playing these segments of top goals and people are hitting these massive strikes and curling them in and this and that - but this time the goals seem pretty tame

fish eel

Immortal
Red card or not, we probably should have one. A credit to the squad the way they played a man down and without cahill and because of the red kewell

Snoochies

First Grade
Geez, rules are tough in that sport. You get 10 mins in the bin for a professional foul in league but get sent off and miss a game in Soccer. Imagine a Hayne and Slater incident in Soccer.