What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Letting go of Mateo. Thoughts?

lucablight

First Grade
Was there anyone else tonight who didn't know whether to laugh or cry after watching Mateo play tonight? He was making line breaks at will and would have laid on a few more tries than he did if he had more support. I know alot of posters here think he's lazy but he has been in great form over the past few weeks.

Everyone has always known how talented Mateo can be. He had a great debut season in 2007 and carried the team through a mediocre 2008. Admittedly he had a poor start to the 2009 season and missed alot of it due to injury but he played a crucial role in the teams run to the finals and was one of the Eels best in the decider.

I think due to the combination of his poor form early last year and the teams mediocre form this year alot of fans here wrote him off too early and think he won't be a huge loss (short memories if you ask me). After watching tonights performance I can't help but disagree. I know alot of people will say we couldn't match the warriors offer but does anyone else think we made a mistake by making Mortimer a priority sign over Mateo? If I had to choose between the two I know who I would have tried to tie up first.

Were there even any attempts made to sign up Mateo early on before the warriors had a chance to get in? I think we saw tonight he can do things other players can only dream of and we may have made a huge error in judgment.

Thoughts?

Djay

Juniors
I don't think we even offered him did we? But yer he was brilliant have always rated him and it's VERY sad to see him go. :(

hineyrulz

Post Whore
For 400k and with with Horo,Lasalo and Hanlon waiting in the wings i am not to upset. Sure he created plenty of breaks but some of the passes he handed possesson straight back to the opposistion. he is still more potential than performance.

strider

Post Whore
he's certainly talented .... but there is still no way we should match what the warriors threw at him

i think he'll kill it at the warriors next year .... will be interesting to see if he can kick on for a longer period

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Feleti has improved in the last few games, apart from that he was a lasy defender and used to always try and offload all time when it wasnt needed.

But I guess we'll definately miss that spark, a dangerous forward with a great offload.

Parraren

Bench
A big part of me definitely wishes he was still going to be with us next year even as inconsistent as he's been.

I'm in the Mateo is a 5/8 camp but plenty in here disagree.

yy_cheng

Coach
I just think that DA tried to improve him by telling to be more selective with passes and that he took it the wrong way thinking that he should just tuck it in and get tackled.

He got frustrated and probably so hidden ill feeling towards DA.

As coach, if he feels this, would you resign him?

This is all speculation on my part BTW

strider

Post Whore
I honestly don't think we needed to match the Warriors offer to keep him here.
but we had to get somewhere in the same suburb as the ballpark the warriors were playing in - and I think if 400K is correct then that is substantially over .... I'd say feleti is worth 300K - that is well short of the 400K talked about

Parraren

Bench
but we had to get somewhere in the same suburb as the ballpark the warriors were playing in - and I think if 400K is correct then that is substantially over .... I'd say feleti is worth 300K - that is well short of the 400K talked about

Look this is pure speculation but I don't think Feleti's decision was purely a financial one. This is just based on the quotes and interviews after he signed. He genuinely seemed gutted and used words like family and brothers when describing the club. My gut tells me he was told he wasn't in DA plans and that he SHOULD take the cash on offer.

yy_cheng

Coach
Look this is pure speculation but I don't think Feleti's decision was purely a financial one. This is just based on the quotes and interviews after he signed. He genuinely seemed gutted and used words like family and brothers when describing the club. My gut tells me he was told he wasn't in DA plans and that he SHOULD take the cash on offer.

I recall a rumour that Mateo had a get out clause if DA was not coach.

This Kearney thing makes it interesting.

strider

Post Whore
I agree, he probably would have stayed for just a bit less - but i reckon we wouldn't have come within a bulls roar of what the warriors supposedly offered - and it would be damn hard to turn down a sh*tload more $$$s

Snoochies

First Grade
Feliti is a big loss but not consistent. He showed tonight what he can do but we see that in very brief moments of the year. He has all the potential to be a superstar of the game but it's hard to justify paying the huge dollars for someone who doesn't play like that week in and week out.

But tonight did make me cringe a little knowing he is leaving.

andrew057

First Grade
Anyone who say Meteo shouldnty be in this club is an idiot. Im gutted he is leaving and sad DA couldnt get the bet out of him.

Aonther bad decision by the current management.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Anyone who say Meteo shouldnty be in this club is an idiot. Im gutted he is leaving and sad DA couldnt get the bet out of him.

Aonther bad decision by the current management.

Good decision not to offer him 400k.

In the first half he makes a clean break - 2nd tackle,no support, so he passes it to the Broncos who score in the following set of 6.

Don't get me wrong, he had a GREAT game tonight, but he has the ability to have dreadful games and is not the 'core guy' to build your team around. When you're paying $400k per season you're building a team around him - and good luck to the Warriors on that front!

I like him, but good luck to him getting his pay day!

andrew057

First Grade
Good decision not to offer him 400k.

In the first half he makes a clean break - 2nd tackle,no support, so he passes it to the Broncos who score in the following set of 6.

Don't get me wrong, he had a GREAT game tonight, but he has the ability to have dreadful games and is not the 'core guy' to build your team around. When you're paying $400k per season you're building a team around him - and good luck to the Warriors on that front!

I like him, but good luck to him getting his pay day!

400k? Definitely overs.

But the feeling I definitely got was he wanted to stay for less, but the powers that be didnt get along with him.

It will always be disappointing when a supposedly 400k player like Mateo leave and Eels still have 700k of unused cap space for next season.

Makes you wonder....

mrpwnd

Bench
400k? Definitely overs.

But the feeling I definitely got was he wanted to stay for less, but the powers that be didnt get along with him.

It will always be disappointing when a supposedly 400k player like Mateo leave and Eels still have 700k of unused cap space for next season.

Makes you wonder....
He DEFINATELY wanted to stay for less, I remember him mentioning it in a few interviews(can't remember when they were), he's a Parra boy through and through. It's funny when i hear Ozzy complaining about how Parra are wasting money on player development in juniors etc etc only to see them get contracted to other clubs when essentially we're just giving them away, we have every bit of incentive to keep these sorts of players, Mateo is a perfect example of this and it'll probably bite us back in the ass for the 500th time next year when he does the same thing for the warriors against us. I don't know what terms the board are using to euphemise their recruitment stuff-ups for '10, but it truly has been a disgrace, especially this year.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Was there anyone else tonight who didn't know whether to laugh or cry after watching Mateo play tonight? He was making line breaks at will and would have laid on a few more tries than he did if he had more support. I know alot of posters here think he's lazy but he has been in great form over the past few weeks.

Everyone has always known how talented Mateo can be. He had a great debut season in 2007 and carried the team through a mediocre 2008. Admittedly he had a poor start to the 2009 season and missed alot of it due to injury but he played a crucial role in the teams run to the finals and was one of the Eels best in the decider.

I think due to the combination of his poor form early last year and the teams mediocre form this year alot of fans here wrote him off too early and think he won't be a huge loss (short memories if you ask me). After watching tonights performance I can't help but disagree. I know alot of people will say we couldn't match the warriors offer but does anyone else think we made a mistake by making Mortimer a priority sign over Mateo? If I had to choose between the two I know who I would have tried to tie up first.

Were there even any attempts made to sign up Mateo early on before the warriors had a chance to get in? I think we saw tonight he can do things other players can only dream of and we may have made a huge error in judgment.

Thoughts?

That right there is the problem. How many seasons has he had in First Grade now? If we include his stint in First Grade Super League footy, it'd be what - 4 or 5 seasons' worth of experience by now?

He's brilliant one week, crap the next. He has a f**kload of talent, yes. But he's got a poor attitude.

I am willing to say we won't miss him. It sucks to see an Eels junior go, but IMO Brian Smith had it right....

andrew057

First Grade
He DEFINATELY wanted to stay for less, I remember him mentioning it in a few interviews(can't remember when they were), he's a Parra boy through and through. It's funny when i hear Ozzy complaining about how Parra are wasting money on player development in juniors etc etc only to see them get contracted to other clubs when essentially we're just giving them away, we have every bit of incentive to keep these sorts of players, Mateo is a perfect example of this and it'll probably bite us back in the ass for the 500th time next year when he does the same thing for the warriors against us. I don't know what terms the board are using to euphemise their recruitment stuff-ups for '10, but it truly has been a disgrace, especially this year.

Yep.

Dont forget with got another 2 years of a huge back ended contract of Tahgu on the books in the next two years, while the likes of of Mateo and Keating leave the club.

Tahu for 2 years at massive money (for a back)

And the commitment to Mortimer for two more season have set this club baack many years.

HORRIBLE and i mean HORRIBLE recruitment.

Latest posts