What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best of luck, Steve

Gronk

Staff member
Best of luck, Steve
By Tony Adams
20:00 AEST Tue Oct 12 2010

RLW's Tony Adams takes aim at the Parramatta board over their handling of the Daniel Anderson sacking and airing their dirty laundry in public. Good luck, Steve Kearney – you are going to need it at Parramatta in 2011 and beyond.
The new Eels coach would have got a disturbing preview about how the Eels board does business when he picked up both Sydney newspapers last Sunday (Oct 10).
Desperate to maintain their power ahead of elections next year, the Parramatta board sent out a letter to members trying to justify their controversial sacking of Daniel Anderson, the man who took them to the 2009 grand final – and sent it to newspapers for good measure.
Coming only weeks after the board guaranteed Anderson's job was safe, the letter was a shallow attempt to restore the board's plummeting credibility.
It aired all manner of dirty laundry that officials at most clubs would prefer to keep within their ranks, attempting to justify the Eels' fall down the premiership ladder this season, its poor recruitment and retention policies and the reasons behind the sacking of nine employees.
For Kearney, the document immediately requires him to go into damage control.
The board made the stunning statement that the out-of-favour Anderson was solely responsible for new signings Reni Maitua and Carl Webb – an open admission that the pair are not wanted before they ever lace on a boot for the club.
Explaining to the pair that they are not "excess baggage" will be one of Kearney's biggest challenges as he prepares to take on the role of resurrecting one of the NRL's most demanding clubs.
While the board has been attempting to justify its moves, Anderson has maintained a dignified silence – and sources close to him say he will continue to do so.
The letter concluded with a ringing endorsement of Kearney – but the incoming coach will be under pressure from day one if the treatment of Anderson is anything to go by.
http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8104605

eel01s

Bench
I pointed out in another post that I want the club to be run professionally. If the club was happy to let DA hire and fire to get the side he wants for 2011, then why the hell is he not coaching in 2011?

Why bring in a new coach with someone else's squad? Isn't that what DA had to put up with? How are we to expect on field results?

I tend to think that PO and SK must have had some input as to whether Webb and Maitua were wanted. If not, then all this talk about the Board being a shambles is correct.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
I think we can all agree eel01s they are a shambles. But just remember the catchphrase - at least they're better than the last lot.

cv8z

Juniors
I think we can all agree eel01s they are a shambles. But just remember the catchphrase - at least they're better than the last lot.

They're not a shambles as you put it.
If it's true the coach said extend or pay out his contract.
They chose the latter.
What's the big deal?

yy_cheng

Coach
actually, could someone explain to me that in the board report it said Anderson wanted an additional year i.e. to extend his contract to end of 2012 and if he didn't get it, he would get paid out.

Unless that wasn't true, Anderson actually gave the board an ultimatum.

DA hasn't refuted that so they basically parted in agreement right?

Gronk

Staff member
actually, could someone explain to me that in the board report it said Anderson wanted an additional year i.e. to extend his contract to end of 2012 and if he didn't get it, he would get paid out.

Well that's what the Board's report said (attached). That suggested that Ando wanted out if they would not extend the deal.

However that's not what they said in the statement released when they sacked him. They said initially that he could not cut it so they sacked him. If it was true that he wanted out if they would not give him an extension, then why did they not say that ?

http://www.parraeels.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=30785&parramatta-eels-statement

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

strider

Post Whore
so they keep saying that this "letter" was meant to be sent to the members .... has it been? .... has anyone been sent it by email? I don't think i've received it ..... but i am only a football club member, so maybe thats why i didn't get it??? but then it covers football matters, so i dunno ..... maybe they never intended to email it but only put it on the leagues club website???

anyone, anyone?

eel01s

Bench
They chose the latter.
What's the big deal?

That's fine, but my point is regarding the 2 incoming players. Did Kearney get a say in whether they were signed? If not, why would PO sign them if he knew DA was on shaky ground?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
They chose the latter.
What's the big deal?

I'd say the way it was handled

born an eel

Bench
so they keep saying that this "letter" was meant to be sent to the members .... has it been? .... has anyone been sent it by email? I don't think i've received it ..... but i am only a football club member, so maybe thats why i didn't get it??? but then it covers football matters, so i dunno ..... maybe they never intended to email it but only put it on the leagues club website???

anyone, anyone?
I received the email a few days ago, I changed my email when renewing my ST and it was sent to that address

hybrideel

Bench

anyone, anyone?

I got an email advising me to go to the website and read it

eel4life

Juniors

This is exactly right ... Daniel Anderson wanted an extension to his contract yet the club decided to go in another direction, which they are entitled to do.

Parra Guru

Coach
The board made the stunning statement that the out-of-favour Anderson was solely responsible for new signings Reni Maitua and Carl Webb – an open admission that the pair are not wanted before they ever lace on a boot for the club.

This is incorrect. The report stated that Paul Osborne also dealt with these signings.

They then go on to blame Anderson solely for releasing Mateo, Inu and Keating.

ParraAds

Juniors
Depending on where you hear it from it seems that no one wanted Maitua or Webb to join?

I know Anderson has kept quite and probably has to but gee it would be nice to hear his side of things.

strider

Post Whore
Depending on where you hear it from it seems that no one wanted Maitua or Webb to join?

I know Anderson has kept quite and probably has to but gee it would be nice to hear his side of things.

maybe Ando isn't overly bothered??? .... he'll get paid (at least some of his contract, maybe all) next year and not have to work .... maybe he wasn't happy how things were going and isn't going to die over being punted

or maybe he's just still on holidays :lol:

born an eel

Bench
Wayne Bennett, Craig Bellamy and Brian Smith drafted by rivals to coach against Australia in Four Nations

THEY are the Kangaroo poachers out to plot Australia's Four Nations downfall.
New Zealand coach Stephen Kearney has recruited modern-day coaching greats Wayne Bennett and Craig Bellamy for the Kiwis' Four Nations campaign.
And England coach Steve McNamara has brought in the Sydney Roosters' Brian Smith as an assistant coach.
Bennett, Bellamy and Smith have contested 16 NRL grand finals between them.
So Australia, beware.
However, the Kangaroos will have a potent coaching combination of their own in four-time premiership winner Tim Sheens and his Canberra assistant, David Furner, who is one of the game's finest young mentors.
"There will be plenty of coaching expertise in this tournament," ARL chief executive Geoff Carr said.
Start of sidebar.

End of sidebar.

Bennett and Kearney teamed up to guide New Zealand to the 2008 World Cup.
"I will be speaking with Wayne during our campaign," Kearney told The Daily Telegraph yesterday. "I have kept in touch with him. I spoke to him during the season and even more during the finals [about New Zealand].
"I will certainly be looking to him for advice during our Four Nations campaign.
"Given all our games are in New Zealand, he may not physically come across, given he would want to spend time with his family. But he is the type of person you can ring for advice and opinion.
"I'll be speaking with Craig Bellamy, too. I will be looking to Craig to help me out as well.
"We are all the same. We all want to make ourselves better coaches. I don't have a problem asking Wayne and Craig for advice."
Kearney himself is ready to become an elite coach. After working under Bellamy at Melbourne for four years, he has been appointed head coach of Parramatta.
Asked about McNamara and Smith, Carr said: "When Brian left Parramatta, he went across to Bradford, where Steve was starting out his coaching career.
"Brian was a bit of a mentor to Steve. They have stayed friends. Steve said he will use Brian in the Four Nations.
"It is one of the things coaches do. Steve [Kearney] has a very good relationship with Craig and Wayne. I don't have an issue if Steve wants to seek their help. Wayne and Craig are decent blokes."
New Zealand will have a warm-up match against Samoa on Saturday night in Auckland. On the same night, England will prepare for the Four Nations by playing the New Zealand Maori.
England and New Zealand kick off the tournament in Wellington on Saturday week.
Asked if his side could win the Four Nations, Kearney said: "I am confident that if we all commit, we will give ourselves a chance."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/kangaroos-friendly-fire/story-e6frfgbo-1225937865377

TheParraboy

Staff member
I thought this thread was about Parra Steve and his purchase of a Kebab shop near Parramatta stadium