What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia A

In November Aus A play England in a 4-day game live on ch 9 from Hobart.

What Aus A team do you think they will pick?

Hughes
Cowan/Klinger
Khawaja
Bailey
White (c)
McDonald
Wade (won't surprise if it's Paine or Haddin but selectors know how they perform at higher level)
Smith/O'Keefe
Clark
Hogan
Starc

Picking the fast bowlers is tough with so many injuries.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
guys like Klinger and Clark wont play for Australia because of their age so no point in picking old farts imo

they should pick a developing squad like most of the NSW team, they'll eventually all play for Australia anyway

lockyno1

Post Whore
Hughes
Maddinson
Khawaja
Ferguson
M.Marsh
S.Marsh
Wade (assuming Paine is the test keeper, if not Paine will be here)
Steve Smith
Hazelwood
Starc
Pattinson

Panther_Daz

Staff member
guys like Klinger and Clark wont play for Australia because of their age so no point in picking old farts imo

they should pick a developing squad like most of the NSW team, they'll eventually all play for Australia anyway

Klinger is only a year older than Michael Clarke and i can see him having a good 5-6 years in the Baggy Green if selected. He has been the State Player of the Year the past 2 seasons so he at least deserves Australia A selection.

IanG

Coach
They still tend to go for a more Youth Orientated side for this team as oppose to it simply being simply a second string Australian team

Bazal

Post Whore
I'd be looking at youth, and guys who are outside the existing set up a bit more than say White (who will play for Australia in ODIs no problems and is no chance for the Tests), Steve Smith and co.

1-Phil Hughes
2-Tom Cooper
3-Usman Khawaja
4-Callum Ferguson (good way to bring him back into some form)
5-George Bailey (c)
6-Mitch Marsh
7-Matt Wade
8-Stephen O'Keefe (I think Smith should be in the Test side, f**k Hauritz off for good)
9-Hazelwood
10-Starc
11-Pattinson

beads6

First Grade
Hughes
Khawaja
Ferguson
Bailey
Lynn
Marsh
Wade
O'Keefe
Cutting
Copeland
Starc

Hastings

Bazal

Post Whore
Not sure about Pattinson, but unless they've upgraded the severity of Hazelwoods injury (entirely possible, I've been away and so wouldn't have known about it) I think he's due back in time...if both are out I'd probably bring in Copeland and George.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Starc has to be the most over rated cricketer in Australia. How he has played an ODI for Australia is beyond me. This bloke barely did anything outstanding for Western Suburbs in Grade Cricket before being picked for NSW.

I remember when he was first talked about for NSW he was the 88th leading wicket taker in the Grade Comp. Even last year in Grade he played 7 matches took 10 wickets at 32.

Now people are talking about him being a possible Australian Test Player with a bowling ave of 35 in First Class Cricket.

Starc should head back to Pratten Park and take some wickets for Wests.

I would have Clark, Bollinger, Copeland, Cameron, Hazelwood, Cockley and even Lee and Bracken ahead of him for NSW. Let alone players like Steven Green and Josh Lalor who have actually stood out in Grade Cricket for the past few years, something Starc never did.

beads6

First Grade
Starc has to be the most over rated cricketer in Australia. How he has played an ODI for Australia is beyond me. This bloke barely did anything outstanding for Western Suburbs in Grade Cricket before being picked for NSW.

I remember when he was first talked about for NSW he was the 88th leading wicket taker in the Grade Comp. Even last year in Grade he played 7 matches took 10 wickets at 32.

Now people are talking about him being a possible Australian Test Player with a bowling ave of 35 in First Class Cricket.

Starc should head back to Pratten Park and take some wickets for Wests.

I would have Clark, Bollinger, Copeland, Cameron, Hazelwood, Cockley and even Lee and Bracken ahead of him for NSW. Let alone players like Steven Green and Josh Lalor who have actually stood out in Grade Cricket for the past few years, something Starc never did.

This is only Australia A selections champ.. I do agree he hasn't really earnt his games for Australia.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
The point i am trying to make is that he should not even be near the NSW team at full strength let alone a Australia A team.

Bazal

Post Whore
Starc isn't great, but he's obviously in the selectors sights and thus the reason most are probably putting him in their sides. He's not as bad as you make out, either...

Timbo

Staff member
1-P.Hughes
2-M.Klinger
3-U.Khawaja
4-C.Ferguson
5-G.Bailey*
6-S.Smith
7-T.Paine+
8-S.O'Keefe
9-J.Pattinson
10-T.Copeland
11-P.George

Panther_Daz

Staff member
I think the kid has talent mate. However he has had such a cruisy rise through to NSW and now Australia at 20 years of age without actually doing anything of note.

It is not just him either. Adam Zampa of all people was picked for NSW yesterday against Sri Lanka. What the hell has he done to warrant NSW selection? Bowling Average of 43 last season for example.

Even Sean Abbott has barely done anything and has been in the NSW squad for pretty much every game this year.

sam54no

Juniors
1 P.Hughes
2 S.Marsh
3 U.Khawaja
4 C.Ferguson
5 C.White (c)
6 S.Smith
7 T.Paine
8 S.O'Keefe
9 P.Siddle
10 T.Copeland
11 P.George

Panther_Daz

Staff member
I think the kid has talent mate. However he has had such a cruisy rise through to NSW and now Australia at 20 years of age without actually doing anything of note.

It is not just him either. Adam Zampa of all people was picked for NSW yesterday against Sri Lanka. What the hell has he done to warrant NSW selection? Bowling Average of 43 last season for example.

Even Sean Abbott has barely done anything and has been in the NSW squad for pretty much every game this year.

Pretty much exactly what i am trying to say. Even mentions Zampa in the article.
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/australia-ditches-school-of-hard-knocks-at-its-peril-20101029-177ed.html

Australia ditches school of hard knocks at its peril

Peter Roebuck

October 30, 2010

CRICKET is losing its hard core in Australia. The push for youth has been so overpowering that a production line that was the envy of the cricketing world has been undermined. Promising players are in plentiful supply but their education has been softened. The school of knocks has been replaced by a world of flattery and unearned opportunity. Although the loss of great players has been the main factor in the fall from first to fifth place in the Test rankings, the weakening of the system means the journey back to the top will be long and uncertain.

Respected coaches, captains and elders believe that grade cricket has become club cricket and that teams are younger but not better. Previously, a talented youth was thrown into grade at a tender age whereupon the toughening process began, with cranky seniors and hard-talking opponents making or breaking them. Now first grade is dominated by peers. Dog eat dog has become puppy eat puppy.

One concerned coach points out that "Australian cricket has matured players better than anyone else because our youngsters played a lot of highly competitive backyard cricket with their mates, they practised a lot on their own - for example Bradman with his golf ball - and they play amongst men at an early age and were knocked into shape. The third strand has gone. They are still playing grade cricket early but it's amongst boys."

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. A few years ago Australian cricket became concerned that state teams were getting older and promising players were held back. Queensland had an average of 29. Steps were taken to improve the position. Most particularly the second XI was replaced by the Futures League, essentially an under-23 competition. Anyone older was regarded as redundant.

As a result, a lad can now rise through the ranks, play under-17 and under-19 for his state and reach the brink of Shield representation without playing any significant men's cricket. He can score hundreds and take wickets and be praised to the skies and still not have encountered a rugged opener with hundreds of matches under his belt or a canny speedster with a mind to examine upstarts.

Rather than trusting the system, Australia has bypassed it. Far from putting youngsters through the ringer of grade and second XI cricket, they put them in camps and try to "fast track them". For example, Tim Armstrong's all-round ability has long been recognised. Apparently, he made a fine impression at the high-performance centre in Brisbane whereupon the phones started ringing. Through no fault of his own, and without performing in grade cricket, he has been pushed and promoted into the NSW side ahead of his time. When he comes a cropper, the same advocates will shake their heads.

But talent-spotting is not the same as selection. Players emerge at different paces. Xavier Doherty is a case in point. He has improved with every passing year. In his case, patience and experience were required. Someone on the Apple Isle knows cricket, cricketers and youth. Armstrong might be the same, might take time to come to terms with his gift and his game. Instead, he could be undone by the desire to unearth golden boys.

Or consider the case of Adam Zampa, another impressive youngster, and a leg-spinner to boot. Australia is desperate to find a wrist spinner and suddenly he is pushed through from youth cricket into the NSW side. He is a resilient lad but he is also an apprentice. And he has not yet made his mark in grade cricket. Not many 18-year-old leggies prosper at that level.

Grade cricket, too, is not working as well as a testing ground. Previously, it was rare to find a teenager taking part. The old salts were too good. Now they have been pushed aside. Standards have slipped. Coaches from other states say the position is worse in their jurisdictions. English county cricketers used to take a year to adapt. Mike Gatting was an exception but he was also a top-class player. Now overseas players succeed in their first seasons.

Certainly the game has changed in the past few seasons. On Thursday David Warner spent his time in the club nets practising his T20 style, belting the ball into nearby building sites, batting right- and left-handed. He is rich and a hero to many. It's the world he knows and it has its advantages.

T20 appeals to youth and attracts a new crowd. It has also changed batting by producing the lofted straight hit executed with open shoulders, foot far from the ball and a cross bat.

But it's unwise to assume that the fundamentals have changed. Decades ago I watched a football match alongside a scout from Liverpool FC. Like every other fool, I was soon praising one young punk's flashing skills. Exasperated, my companion growled "Arright, but can he pass, tackle, head and shoot?" It was a good question. It always will be.

Latest posts