What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Juniors/Reserves Thread

Didgi

For discussion about the U20s, Pride and Cutters.

First up, who do we rate as genuine first-grade players for next year and 2012?

Will Tupou, James Segeyaro, Jason Taumalolo and Ray Thompson will probably get on the field, anyone else? Ulugia, Elisala, Pangai?

I've heard a bit about David Uhi and Chris Grevsmuhi. Someone who's seen them play a bit, how do they go? Grevsmuhi is 16, and playing Aus schoolboys this year. Blokes who play schoolboys generally end up as very good players. Ryan Williamson also looks the goods from what I've seen of him, another Aus Schoolboys product.

Talanexor

Juniors
Dylan Smith is apparently trialling with the first grade squad and might be offered a contract depending on how that goes. He's a good prospect.

The two areas we're short on depth are halves and props, so it wouldn't be inconceivable to see guys like Parker-Walshe get a game either.

If we do see Tupou in first grade again, I reckon it'll be in the forwards. For the same reason, I don't think Tyson Martin will get a game unless there are lots of injuries, although Ryan Williamson has the potential to play himself into a first grade spot.

I do expect Thompson, Segeyaro, Fai Fai Loa, and Tariq Sims to be first grade regulars by the end of the season, with Morgan and Taumalolo getting about 5 games between them.

For once it would be nice to have a full-strenght side on the park every week, instead of having 5-6 players out injured.

Talanexor

Juniors
Don't know a whole lot there, but I do know that he's got a lot of players in front of him in the pecking order.

Bolton, Gavin Cooper, Johnson, Hogan, Leeson Ah Mau (maybe), Leary, Walsh and Taumalolo in front of him at least. Potentially Tyson Martin and Will Tupou as well.

footynut1

Juniors
For discussion about the U20s, Pride and Cutters.

First up, who do we rate as genuine first-grade players for next year and 2012?

Will Tupou, James Segeyaro, Jason Taumalolo and Ray Thompson will probably get on the field, anyone else? Ulugia, Elisala, Pangai?

I've heard a bit about David Uhi and Chris Grevsmuhi. Someone who's seen them play a bit, how do they go? Grevsmuhi is 16, and playing Aus schoolboys this year. Blokes who play schoolboys generally end up as very good players. Ryan Williamson also looks the goods from what I've seen of him, another Aus Schoolboys product.

is Uhi still here? i heard he has gone. we do seem to have a heap more depth this year with a few of these 20s boys into their 3rd year and will be pushing for a first grade start at some stage during the yr.. great to see..

Didgi

Dylan Smith is apparently trialling with the first grade squad and might be offered a contract depending on how that goes. He's a good prospect.

Any more word on him Tal? Only played 3 U20s games this year, and looked not much more than solid last year?

Big Pete

Referee
He was actually injured for the majority of last season and I thought he was pretty good in his return judging on what I saw, he usually took a lot of stopping.

elyod138

Bench
Any more word on him Tal? Only played 3 U20s games this year, and looked not much more than solid last year?

He was injured early in the year and was supposed to be out for the season, it was a massive effort from him to get back on the field.

I thought he looked very good considering the circumstances.

Talanexor

Juniors

Here are some key stats from 2009. They don't tell the full picture - for example, in 5 of his last 6 games he made more than 150m per game.

Over the season, he averaged 112.4m per game, 16.1 tackles. Also made 42 tackle busts and 11 offloads in his 16 games, which is a decent effort for a prop, even at NYC level.

By way of comparison, when Tamou last played NYC (2008) he averaged 126.7m per game, 19.1 tackles. Also made 63 tackle busts and 20 offloads in his 15 games. And Tamou is a gun.

I think Dylan Smith probably needs to bulk up a bit and spend the year playing QLD Cup - but he's a solid option for the future. In 2012, with hopefully an injury-free season and an uninterrupted pre-season, he might play some first grade.

Last edited:

elyod138

Bench
I think he needs to trim down a bit, he was (understandably, due to his injury) overweight at the end of this year.

Talanexor

Juniors
I think he needs to trim down a bit, he was (understandably, due to his injury) overweight at the end of this year.

Yes, you're right, and he looked to be pretty unfit as well (again, understandable, due to injury).

I was referring to muscle growth, not weight in general.

Speaking of which, did anyone else see that article with Webb weighing in at 116kg and vowing to shed 8kgs over the offseason? I swear he said much the same thing last season...and the season before that...and the season before that...

Didgi

Ok, interesting. We don't have the greatest forward depth, so any news is good news.

Talanexor

Juniors
Ok, interesting. We don't have the greatest forward depth, so any news is good news.

Correct, but then again, there's no real quality forwards available at the moment.

I'd rather the club stick with a youth policy in 2011, rather than panic-buy some forwards with first grade experience. That's how we ended up with Kaufusi and Manuokafoa.

If Tariq Sims or Blake Leary can bring their NYC form to the NRL, suddenly we've got a really good forward pack.

Also, I have this feeling Tamou is going to really stamp himself as a quality forward this season. Don't know why, I just really rate the kid.

Didgi

Bumpity bump!

After 15 rounds we're sitting 4th, after the 3 joint leaders - Dogs, Warriors and Storm. Taumalolo is doing his thing as usual, beast!

Talanexor

Juniors
Well, I was right about Tamou and Tariq Sims!

Just don't bump the thread where I said I was pretty underwhelmed with Cooper and didn't want Hall...

Surely Taumalolo can't be too far off a first grade call up? I also wonder when Morgan is going to hit some form again.

Didgi

Well, the U20s recorded a good 32-18 win against the Tigers, with Taumalolo making - take a breath, sit down if you have to - a massive 304 metres along with 9 tackle breaks and 15 tackles (1 miss). That would be if not the most very close to the most metres in a long long time, though I remember Finucane making some massive tallies for the Dogs.

Match against the Titans this week, here are the teams:

Gold Coast Titans v North Queensland Cowboys
Saturday 23 July 2011, kickoff 3:15pm; Skilled Park
TV: Live FOX Sports 2/2HD;
Officials:

Titans: 1. Jordan Rankin 2. Lausi'i Taliauli 3. Japeth Vaoa 4. Hymel Hunt 5. Shaun Carney 6. Alec Jones 7. Matthew Beddow 8. Luke Page 9. Sam Irwin 10. Lain Windley 11. Sam Saville 12. Blake Anderson 13. Sam Martin
Interchange: 14. Sam Ross 15. Dylan Hartin 16. Jackson Springer 17. Sam Meskell 18. Nick Harrold
Cowboys: 1. Wayne Ulugia 2. Kyle Feldt 3. John Koko 4. Moses Pangai 5. Zac Santo 6. Michael Parker-Walshe 7. Sam Foster 8. Daniel Beasley 9. Alex Elisala 10. Felise Kaufusi 11. Anthony Gadd 12. Jason Taumalolo 13. Chris McLean
Interchange: 14. Nathan Norford 15. Tennyson Elliott 16. Chris Grevsmuhl 17. Francis Vuekiso 18. Jack Svendsen 19. Lloyd McIver

Hopefully Francis Veukiso remains on the bench and McLean can finally make his return after a couple of weeks of being named but not playing. Titans are sitting stone cold motherless, so we should make a good go of this with plenty of guys looking to impress. For those wondering, fairly sure Michael Morgan (dropped from FG) will be playing with the Cutters this weekend.

Talanexor

Juniors
Taumalolo is just a weapon isn't he? 304 metres. Surely he should be playing QLD Cup if not NRL - if he's racking up those sorts of stats, there's nothing left for him to learn in under 20s.

Didgi

Disappointing to see the boys go down to the Titans, who are last. Their previous lost was against second-last Manly. Might be issues there with the boys expecting to win and not putting in the basics (I couldn't see the Manly game, hoping the Titans replay will be on Tbox.

Didgi

Up 26-12 with a little over 10 to go. Tries to Crowley, MPW, Santo x 2, Norford, Feldt 3/5

Latest posts