What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Craig Bellamy: If we expand, Perth or Brisbane are my prefered destinations

Goddo

Bench
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...red-destinations/story-e6frg7t6-1226024319537

THE time has come to make a decision on expansion. If the NRL isn't in position to make it now, the issue should be placed at the top of the independent commission's order of business.

The constant delays are simply unfair to the people working furiously on expansion bids. The obvious example is Central Coast chief Greg Florimo. I've bumped into Greg several times over the past 18 months and his commitment to the region has impressed me.

He's a passionate man and he genuinely believes a team should be based on the NSW central coast. People like Greg deserve to know whether they are wasting their time or if they have a hope of winning a place in the NRL. If they're no chance, someone needs to tell them.

As much as I admire Greg and the work he has done, if the NRL or commission for that matter decide to press ahead with expansion, I believe they should look to Perth and Brisbane.

If it were purely a sentimental decision, I would certainly have the central coast in there. But from what I am hearing, with the central coast so close to Sydney where nine teams are based already, there's a thought that they may not bring enough to the table. If we're looking at what's best for the game and best for television rights, I think a second Brisbane team and Perth are the preferable options.

Brisbane is a no-brainer. The corporate and fan support in the city is beyond compare. Queenslanders love their league and Brisbane would have no worries supporting two sides.

As for Perth, I've been fortunate to travel to the city in recent seasons when the Storm has played games. The crowds have been impressive. They make for enthusiastic spectators.

The important thing for Perth is to get the right people involved. They need to hire a chief executive, coach, captain and senior players who know what our game is about and how you build a successful club.

They need a bit of patience. They need good development and recruitment systems. Most importantly, they need to get the right people in the right positions. You need strong foundations in your club to make it grow.

The other thing Perth brings to the table is the prospect of the game having a national competition again. In my eyes, the advantage of being national is the bargaining power it would give us with regard to television rights. We need to use that leverage to get a better deal for the clubs, their supporters and sponsors.

The sport is going gangbusters at the moment. In recent years it has dominated pay-TV ratings. Last Monday night's game was the highest rating show on pay television for the past two years. I believe it's crucial the game uses that strength to regain control of scheduling, particularly where and when games are played.

The AFL and A-League, for example, have a full-season draw. Before the season has begun, their supporters and sponsors know exactly where and when their team will be playing. The best we can offer at the start of a season is five games in advance.

The other important issue is ensuring the games are shared evenly so every club gets a chance to have exposure on commercial TV. Sponsors want to be on free-to-air.

We don't have to negotiate only TV rights. We need to negotiate a say in when games are played so all sides get an equal amount of Friday nights, Saturday, Sunday and Mondays.

The players are doing a wonderful job on the field. It's a great game for TV. I reckon we're in a pretty strong position at the negotiating table.
We just need to make a decision on whether we want to expand. And it needs to be made sooner rather than later.

Smart man.

:crazy:

Doesn't change the fact that the sentimental favorites, as some would call them, still have more support both financially and community based than any other bid. Doesn't change the fact that Craig is one man with one opinion, much like an opposing coach i.e. Matthew Elliott is (however he prefers CC & Perth).

Doesn't change the fact David Gallop has enthusiastically mentioned CC & Perth for over the past 18 months or the fact Gallop is favouring Ipswich/Western Corridor over Brisbane anyways due to Brisbane's impact on the Broncos and the congestion in the city itself, while Ipswich much like CC have no actual team.

Doesn't change the fact that the Central Coast Bears bid is submitted in 12 days and has achieved even more corporate backing than I have mentioned. Or the fact Barry O'Farrell has guaranteed part funding of the CCBears state of the art center of sports excellence or the fact the CCBear's have 6200 financial members which has equalled around $320,000 just from that. That's before the millions being pumped in by sponsors, corporate backers and share holders.

How does the saying go? Money talks and BS walks?

Goddo

Bench
And the usual numpties will be here to sing the Bears praises in numbers.... yeah but no but yeah,

"1.1m people"
"been doing it longest"
"AFL will get you if you don't"
"Gallop likes us"
"We got 1 bazillion members"
"think of the childeren"
"we ain't Sydney"

how did I go Bears fans? Miss any major points?

EDIT: how could I forget this one...
"we will bring 10,000 people to all our away games in Sydney (but we still ain't part of Sydney)"

Last edited:
Yes you can...

it seems to some that you can't argue one man's opinion but you can argue numbers, facts, figures.:sarcasm:

And the usual numpties will be here to sing the Bears praises in numbers.... yeah but no but yeah,

"1.1m people"
"been doing it longest"
"AFL will get you if you don't"
"Gallop likes us"
"We got 1 bazillion members"
"think of the childeren"
"we ain't Sydney"

how did I go Bears fans? Miss any major points?

Close. But let me clear some of that up.

Over $15 million in equity.
Over 10 major sponsors.
Over 40 local business and corporate partners.
Over 6200 financial members.
Catchement of 1.1million (which not only Bears have fans stated but Gallop has too).
Over 7200 localised Juniors inside the catchement.
A physical project which will provide annualised income of $3.7 million p/a. Which has already been invested in.
Backing from the most important people (locals, regional league bodies, political heavies from both sides)

Now it's your turn to argue that since you know you like arguing figures and numbers.

Last edited:
The facts are that Brisbane sh*ts all over the CC in virtually every facet. Only Bears people can't see this, or choose not to.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
West Coast Eagles have 8 million members and they have won about 3 games in 7 years,Western Force get decent enough crowds and they have won about minus 13 games in the past 800 years.

Western Australians = Loyal

Western Australians > Central Coast people

Goddo

Bench
it seems to some that you can't argue one man's opinion but you can argue numbers, facts, figures.:sarcasm:

Yeah, like TV dollars, or population figures, or projected attendence, or projected sponsorship revenue. They are hard to argue with, as they all point towards Brisbane and Perth.

I notice Perth came out earlier this week and said they will have potentially one of the biggest sponsorship packages in the game if granted a licence. No one was in here shooting them down.

You say the exact same thing about a Brisbane bid (Australia's 3rd largest city, RL mad and has only 1 team), and the numpties are falling over themselves to deconstruct it.

Yeah, like TV dollars, or population figures, or projected attendence, or projected sponsorship revenue. They are hard to argue with, as they all point towards Brisbane and Perth.

I notice Perth came out earlier this week and said they will have potentially one of the biggest sponsorship packages in the game if granted a licence. No one was in here shooting them down.

You say the exact same thing about a Brisbane bid (Australia's 3rd largest city, RL mad and has only 1 team), and the numpties are falling over themselves to deconstruct it.

Misconception at it's highest. Brisbane does have a population but they don't have the support. If you hurt the Broncos in any way, shape or form (as much as fans from other clubs would like to see it) it will hurt the game entirely. Hence why Gallop isn't enthusiastic about Brisbane's bid. Hence why Gallop has suggested Ipswich more so when concerning a S.E.Q franchise. As a matter of fact only last week he acknowledged all bids but one.. can you guess which one that was? He even acknowledged PNG and Wellington over this bid, now maybe it's reading in between the lines but his lack of mentioning this bid speaks volumes.

From the 4 to 6 sponsors they managed to get they still fell short of an overall 7 figure sum. Considering how people have been bragging on about how support both financially and community will come easily to another Brisbane franchise, their attempts have been very very disappointing.

But keep arguing, I was at their launch and I saw for myself what they have to offer. Alot of huff and puff but no house is being blown over.

Last edited:

to_ddeath

Coach
Typical Bellamy, only toeing the old & tired News Ltd "nationalized" expansion line. May as well be 1996 all over again.
NRL has to concentrate on it's stronger markets, eg Central Coast and then Central Queensland (the only 2 large areas between Sydney & FNQ not fielding teams at present)
Perth already has 2 AFL teams, the Force in Yawnion, & Glory in GayLeague soccer. How the reds fit into the scheme of things with all those teams there is anyones guess.
A second team will not work in Brisbane & the Broncs & Tits are enough in that corner of QLD.
Play to your potential & current strengths, worry about the other areas later.

T.

West Coast Eagles have 8 million members and they have won about 3 games in 7 years,Western Force get decent enough crowds and they have won about minus 13 games in the past 800 years.

Western Australians = Loyal

Western Australians > Central Coast people
And we'd be VERY loyal to the Reds when they return to the big time!