What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your team v Dragons next Sunday

red and blue

Juniors
1. Wes
2. Uate
3. Doogs (Is he back? If not Lulia I guess...How's Liki going?)
4. Sau (He seemed to be playing injured though at the end so who knows)
5. McManus

6. Mullen
7. Gidley (if he's back....if not give Roberts/Stig a run)

8. Tui
9. Hilder (no De Gois right?)
10. Kaufusi
11. Taia (He looked injured too though)
12. Pato
13. House

14. Taufua
15. Edwards
16. Southern (I know it will be Tolar but I'd much prefer Southern. Both are ineffective but at least Bluey has a bit of starch).
17. Zane/O'Donnell/Cook/Mika/anyone who can walk.

I think I read he got hurt last week and was out for some time.

RHCP

Bench
1. Wes Naiqama
2. Akuila Uate
3. Adam MacDougall
4. Junior Sau
5. James McManus
6. Kurt Gidley (c)
7. Jarrod Mullen
8. Antonio Kaufusi
9. Matt Hilder
10. Evarn Tuimavave
11. Zeb Taia
12. Cory Paterson
13. Chris Houston

14. Marvin Karawana
15. Joel Edwards
16. Richie Fa'aoso
17. Zane Tetevano

hardbaby

Coach
I would have thought O'Donnell and Likiliki would have a shot. I mean I'm a Dragons supporter so I'm happy if you take that team into the game but when you get smashed by injury it presents a golden opportunity to try out some new talent. We got belted thru injury and bought in Cuthbertson, Stanley, Greenfield and Gower. Look how well they played!!

I rate Newcastle. Your boys gutsed it out on the weekend. They never gave up. I feel for you guys with the injuries. And yeah I think Manly are a bunch of cheap shot dogs. But now's your chance. Choose some of the young blokes.

And go Nathan Tinkler. We need a strong Knights. He's the man...just please don't take our coach.

Rolla

Juniors
I would have thought O'Donnell and Likiliki would have a shot. I mean I'm a Dragons supporter so I'm happy if you take that team into the game but when you get smashed by injury it presents a golden opportunity to try out some new talent. We got belted thru injury and bought in Cuthbertson, Stanley, Greenfield and Gower. Look how well they played!!

I rate Newcastle. Your boys gutsed it out on the weekend. They never gave up. I feel for you guys with the injuries. And yeah I think Manly are a bunch of cheap shot dogs. But now's your chance. Choose some of the young blokes.

And go Nathan Tinkler. We need a strong Knights. He's the man...just please don't take our coach.

Liki is injured, he won't be available for a while. I do agree though, it would be nice to see at least one youngster get a shot, there are a few knocking on the door. Unfortunately we have seen a reluctance in blooding young talent here at the knights over the last few years, hopefully they can buck that trend.

perverse

Referee
O'Donnell wasn't ready for 1st grade on trial form. i haven't seen him play the past 3 weeks, but i don't think he's setting the world on fire in NSW cup, either. could be wrong, though.

as stated already, Likiliki is injured, did his MCL a week or so ago. there's also no room for him in the team with Doogs returning.

Karawana trialled very well and would have to be odds on for the utility spot. he can slot into backrow, 5/8th or hooker in a pinch.

i just hope McDonnell doesn't play, the bloke is hopeless. Wes has to be named at fullback until we get troops back.

RABK

Referee
I got a feeling that despite the form he may show in the lower grades KOD will be a real standout once he gets in FG. Some players just lift and he looks like he might relish the physicality.

perverse

Referee
I got a feeling that despite the form he may show in the lower grades KOD will be a real standout once he gets in FG. Some players just lift and he looks like he might relish the physicality.
possibly, but it looks like he's going to be made to earn a spot. i'd love to see him get a shot, he looks the part physically... but geez he dropped a sh*tload of balls when i was watching him in the trials.

he is a physical force, though... and would be an asset to our pack if he has fire in his belly like his brother. i don't know if he's found that fire yet or not, i hoenstly haven't watched him play enough... but i think after the Manly game we should be looking to add any extra size and aggression to the pack that we can. a pack something like:

8. Kaufusi
9. De Gois
10. Tui
11. Zeb
12. Paterson
13. Costigan

14. Hilder
15. O'Donnell
16. Richie
17. Taufua

would be alot harder to boss around than the pack we fielded yesterday.

RABK

Referee
possibly, but it looks like he's going to be made to earn a spot. i'd love to see him get a shot, he looks the part physically... but geez he dropped a sh*tload of balls when i was watching him in the trials.

he is a physical force, though... and would be an asset to our pack if he has fire in his belly like his brother. i don't know if he's found that fire yet or not, i hoenstly haven't watched him play enough... but i think after the Manly game we should be looking to add any extra size and aggression to the pack that we can. a pack something like:

8. Kaufusi
9. De Gois
10. Tui
11. Zeb
12. Paterson
13. Costigan

14. Hilder
15. O'Donnell
16. Richie
17. Taufua

Indeed but the house has to be there somewhere! He's got steel in him.

Silent Knight

First Grade

8. Kaufusi
9. De Gois
10. Tui
11. Zeb
12. Paterson
13. Costigan

14. Hilder
15. O'Donnell
16. Richie
17. Taufua

No love for House? But I like the absence of Tolar :D

Edit: dang RABK beat me to it.

Last edited:

RABK

Referee
Cook is the first junior for a while that is getting a bit of love that i personally have no solid knowledge or opinion on. Haven't seen much of him bar some minutes in the trials.

Someone who knows a bit about him complete this sentence for me.

Cook reminds me of _______ ________ because _________________ .

Roopy your 'Cook reminds me of Ben Kennedy because he is from Newcastle' is disqualified.

RABK

Referee
Well, after watching that horror movie, I think it's time we moved away from it and onto next weekend. So, who's left?

1. Shannon McDonnell/Wes Naiqama
2. James McManus
3. Junior Sau
4. Adam MacDougall
5. Akuila Uate
6. Kurt Gidley (sigh)
7. Jarrod Mullen
8. Antonio Kaufusi
9. Matt Hilder
10. Evarn Tuimavave
11. Zeb Taia
12. Cory Paterson
13. Chris Houston

14. Wes Naiqama/Zane Tetavano
15. Joel Edwards
16. Richie Fa'aoso
17. Mark Taufua

Is it true you saw De Gois playing Thumb Wars with Wes at Knights HQ earlier today suggesting he'll be a surprise inclusion?

perverse

Referee
Indeed but the house has to be there somewhere! He's got steel in him.
sh*t... i completely forgot about House. he absolutely has to start at lock, really. sh*t... ok hows this:

8. Costigan
9. De Gois
10. Tuimavave
11. Taia
12. Pato
13. Houston

14. Hilder
15. O'Donnell
16. Fa'aoso
17. Kaufusi

there we go.

RABK - having not seen much of Cook i'll still try and give it a crack and see how those that have seen more feel about it:

Cook reminds me of a white Feleti Mateo because he's a ball playing backrower that can get through a lot of work. probably even a little more renowned for his workload than Feleti. also saying nothing about his physique, i don't really know what he looks like at the moment... doubting he's gotten as big as Feleti though, lol. similar sort of game i think, though, lots of ballplaying and sh*tloads of offloads, with less raw power.

i reckon that's a bloody strong pack, but i don't think we'll ever see it in that configuration. Stone will find a bench spot for guys like Tolar and Ciraldo. most coaches seem to find a spot for at least 1 nuffy in their team, even when they have better options.

Last edited:

RABK

Referee
Could compliment an in form patto well or could pressure on out of form patto for his spot.

Nev is the one i feel sorry for. He would have been itching to play in this game. The opening of the new Grand Stand against his old club and making his home debut. This must be very disappointing to him not being there.

Rolla

Juniors
Pretty sure Henry would be in a similar boat there.

Good to hear shannon won't be playing, poor guy gets knocked out more than crossy, hope he is ok, but also hope that was the last first grade we see from him.

Pete needs to get his sh*t together sooner rather than later!!. He will never make it and live up to his potential if he can't unseed Mcdonnel as third choice.

Serc

First Grade
Gidley to return in halves
BY BRETT KEEBLE
29 Mar, 2011 04:00 AM

KNIGHTS captain Kurt Gidley is likely to be Jarrod Mullen’s halves partner when he returns from a back injury for Newcastle’s first home game of the season, against St George Illawarra at Ausgrid Stadium on Sunday.
Faced with a debilitating injury toll arising from their 26-12 loss to Manly at Brookvale Oval on Sunday, Knights coach Rick Stone was buoyed by reports Gidley would play against the Dragons and veteran centre Adam MacDougall was expected to make his first appearance this season.
Gidley has not played since tearing a disc in his lower back in Newcastle’s 42-8 humbling of Penrith at Centrebet Stadium on March 13.
MacDougall was granted compassionate leave four weeks ago to mourn the death of his father, Gil, but resumed team training last week.
The return of the experienced NSW and Australian representatives against the reigning NRL and world club champions will take some sting out of the loss of pivots Beau Henry (ankle) and Ben Rogers (shoulder) and back-rower Cameron Ciraldo (chest) to long-term injuries.
Henry had X-rays in Sydney on Sunday night that cleared him of a broken right ankle but he and Ciraldo, who suffered a torn pectoral muscle, had MRI scans yesterday to determine the extent of their soft-tissue damage.
Rogers, who Stone expected would be sidelined for at least six weeks, had his dislocated right shoulder realigned under anaesthetic in hospital in Sydney after the game on Sunday night and he will have follow-up scans this week once the swelling subsides.
Fullback Shannon McDonnell and prop Richie Fa’aoso had concussion in the bruising loss to Manly and back-rower Zeb Taia suffered a corked calf muscle.
Stone said Henry, Rogers and Ciraldo would be unavailable for ‘‘an extended period’’ and McDonnell, Fa’aoso and Taia would be assessed later this week.
‘‘In Beau’s case, he had an X-ray last night, which showed no break, so we’re thinking now that it’s ligament damage in his ankle and that’s what the MRI will show,’’ Stone said yesterday.
‘‘Ciro has some sort of tear in his pec and a tear over 50 or 60per cent will basically mean surgery and out for the season, so we’re hoping it’s just a partial tear where it can reattach itself. Zeb’s got a bit of a cork but I don’t think he’s in any real danger of not playing this week.’’
Back-rower Con Mika was concussed in Central Coast Centurions’ 22-20 victory over Newtown in a NSW Cup game at Henson Park on Saturday.
Like McDonnell and Fa’aoso, Mika will be given a CogSport test on Thursday to determine his neurological health status.

If McDonnell is ruled out, Stone indicated utility back Wes Naiqama would switch to fullback, MacDougall would return in the centres and Gidley would partner Mullen at the scrum base.
‘‘That’s probably a likely scenario,’’ Stone said.
‘‘There’s no question mark around Kurt, we would suggest at this stage. One of the reasons we didn’t risk him last week was that he definitely wanted to be involved in this game this week.’’
Stone said Kiwi Test centre Junior Sa’u carried a minor groin strain into the game against Manly.
Though Sa’u is unlikely to miss the Dragons match, Keith Lulia is on standby.

Junior Kiwis representative Siuatonga Likiliki, who was recruited from the Warriors in the off-season, is unavailable for six weeks as he recovers from a knee injury.
Stone hoped prop Mark Taufua would be available this week but did not expect hooker Isaac De Gois to play.
Taufua ruptured the extensor tendon in his right little finger in a Centurions trial against Newcastle club Western Suburbs on February 27.
De Gois broke his thumb against Penrith.
Stone said Marvin Karawana, who was 18th man for the Manly game, Mika, Steve Southern, Kyle O’Donnell and Zane Tetevano were among the contenders to replace Ciraldo.
‘‘It’s not as though we haven’t got bodies there,’’ he said.
‘‘We’ve just got to make the right decision that’s going to complement the side the best.’’
http://www.theherald.com.au/news/local/sport/rugby-league/gidley-to-return-in-halves/2116714.aspx

Rolla

Juniors
I think Mark T will be massive for us this year. Missed him last week.

With an injury cloud over Mika too i would think Tet and KOD must be close to next in line. Anyone know if those two, or southo/karawana/mika have been impressing for the centurians?

RABK

Referee
Didn't Pika say Mark T was slowly getting there. Don't think we'll see him this week?

Apey

Staff member
Stone hoped prop Mark Taufua would be available this week but did not expect hooker Isaac De Gois to play.

Will he be back the week after?

I love Hilder as part of our 17 but a hooker he is not. We are missing De Gois badly.