What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Roberts

lingard

Coach
we obviously disagree a bit on Roberts' performance last night and that's fine.....and we are also on the opposite sides of the fence RE: Hayne at 5/8, which is also fine. i even take your pretty fair points about Hayne never playing (fullback) with a really good halves combo at Parra and how he improved after DA's trial with him at 5/8......seriously valid points

but on this one, i consider that since 2009 his running game from fullback has declined because of how heavily marked he now is at fullback, plus his attacking ability with the ball in hand in terms of creating opportunities for others has increased astonishingly since then.....like out of sight, off the charts. i think in time when he or if he embraces the role as either the chief playmaker in the team (or one of with Sandow/Roberts) he could be dynamic at 5/8......

anyway, we'll see. i'm just nailing my flag to Hayne hopefully staying at 5/8 as i see him being better there than as a fullback - overall

No worries. You could be right. I wouldn`t mind seeing Hayne in the centres - but I don`t think that`s going to happen any time soon.

Last edited:

yy_cheng

Coach
we obviously disagree a bit on Roberts' performance last night and that's fine.....and we are also on the opposite sides of the fence RE: Hayne at 5/8, which is also fine. i even take your pretty fair points about Hayne never playing (fullback) with a really good halves combo at Parra and how he improved after DA's trial with him at 5/8......seriously valid points

but on this one, i consider that since 2009 his running game from fullback has declined because of how heavily marked he now is at fullback, plus his attacking ability with the ball in hand in terms of creating opportunities for others has increased astonishingly since then.....like out of sight, off the charts. i think in time when he or if he embraces the role as either the chief playmaker in the team (or one of with Sandow/Roberts) he could be dynamic at 5/8......

anyway, we'll see. i'm just nailing my flag to Hayne hopefully staying at 5/8 as i see him being better there than as a fullback - overall

THat's exactly how I see it.

The problem with him at 6 is that he is camping himself on one side (the split halves syndrome).

For Hayne to excel at 6, we really need an organizing half with Hayne as the chief playmaker.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
I watched the game for the second time tonight and Hayne again showed that he has incredible vision over the game, over the whole field. And he played for 80 minutes, he had no drifting off lapses until extra time. WOW.

Besides a few stuff ups very late in the game, mainly in extra time, Jarryd was by far the best player on the field for 80 minutes, and daylight second.

Robson really stuffed things up for Jarryd, was unable to create the time and space Jarryd needed to perform his magic tricks. Even his team mates were cramping up Jarryd and were unable to get into the time and space (the timing) groove, in synchronicity with Jarryd. This will all come naturally if we persist with Jarryd at 6.

Matthew Keating played a good game and delivered fast ball to Robson, etc, and Robbo regularly strangled Jarryd's time and space.

Jarryd just needs to stay at 6 to continue developing his physical and mental toughness over 80 minutes playing on the front-line which will help immensely in developing his composure which influences how he can control the destiny of a game over 80 minutes.

Even more important is the experience all Jarryd's 2012 team mates will gain which will help them to instinctively lock in to Jarryd's instinctive add-lib game. Once his team mates all get used used to playing with Jarryd at 6 on the front-line, we will start wining premierships and it can start as soon as next year.

The way Jarryd can sum up a situation so fast clearly demonstrates that his SPEED OF THOUGHT is so much faster than almost all players in the NRL, if not all of them. We have all been given ONLY a tiny taste of what he can do at 6. The best is yet to come. Jarryd's sizing up and intercept of Roberts pass clearly demonstrates the same instinctive vision Brett Kenny had and all great 5/8 had at their very best. Roberts played well in patches, he faded in and out, but Jarryd played well for most of the first 80 minutes.

Jarryd is our 6 for the next 10 years - well for as long as he plays NRL.

By this time next year, you will all give up arguing for Jarryd playing 1.

In a way, it's sad to see how so many of you in this forum can't sense the obvious fact that Jarryd Hayne is a 6 and will be the best front line player our club has produced since Sterling and Kenny.

Last edited:

True EEL

Bench
i just hope roberts can find the middle of hayne's chest as well when they play on the same team :)

well that's it LOL, Roberts threw that pass for Hayne's try didn't he??
oh but he played great, long passes are a no-no is such conditions

at least when Hayne was throwing passes that went to ground they were shorter passes and the mistakes were a factor of not only the conditions but Hayne and the other guys (mainly backrowers) not used to him playing 5/8

True EEL

Bench
Probably the best player on the field for the first 30-40 min last night. Every time he touched it he showed class. He kicked a 40/20 and put 3 or 4 players through gaps.

Obviously he dissappeared in the second half and threw our only try assist of the night.

Pretty much sums up Ben Roberts.

yep, always has been and always will be a mediocre player....and sure he played for NZ in the halves but he wont ever again while Benji and Foran are breathing (unless SK gets very biased)

True EEL

Bench
No worries. You could be right. I wouldn`t mind seeing Hayne in the centres - but I don`t think that`s going to happen any time soon.

yeah no worries, its just seeing what happens in time and its only my opinion after all. sadly though sometimes when you express an opinion on here people just want to take you down and claim you are forcing your opinion on other people as if its gospel....when in reality they are usually the ones doing so :?

i agree, he could also do well in the centres though, his defence is much better playing up in the line for a start

True EEL

Bench
THat's exactly how I see it.

The problem with him at 6 is that he is camping himself on one side (the split halves syndrome).

For Hayne to excel at 6, we really need an organizing half with Hayne as the chief playmaker.

yep totally, i just do not like the split-halves syndrome (as you said and i think i've also called it before). if Hayne was the chief playmaker and Sandow just running the team and forwards around and then putting on his own astonshing play from time to time, we would be a genuine force

True EEL

Bench
I watched the game for the second time tonight and Hayne again showed that he has incredible vision over the game, over the whole field. And he played for 80 minutes, he had no drifting off lapses until extra time. WOW.

Besides a few stuff ups very late in the game, mainly in extra time, Jarryd was by far the best player on the field for 80 minutes, and daylight second.

Robson really stuffed things up for Jarryd, was unable to create the time and space Jarryd needed to perform his magic tricks. Even his team mates were cramping up Jarryd and were unable to get into the time and space (the timing) groove, in synchronicity with Jarryd. This will all come naturally if we persist with Jarryd at 6.

Matthew Keating played a good game and delivered fast ball to Robson, etc, and Robbo regularly strangled Jarryd's time and space.

Jarryd just needs to stay at 6 to continue developing his physical and mental toughness over 80 minutes playing on the front-line which will help immensely in developing his composure which influences how he can control the destiny of a game over 80 minutes.

Even more important is the experience all Jarryd's 2012 team mates will gain which will help them to instinctively lock in to Jarryd's instinctive add-lib game. Once his team mates all get used used to playing with Jarryd at 6 on the front-line, we will start wining premierships and it can start as soon as next year.

The way Jarryd can sum up a situation so fast clearly demonstrates that his SPEED OF THOUGHT is so much faster than almost all players in the NRL, if not all of them. We have all been given ONLY a tiny taste of what he can do at 6. The best is yet to come. Jarryd's sizing up and intercept of Roberts pass clearly demonstrates the same instinctive vision Brett Kenny had and all great 5/8 had at their very best. Roberts played well in patches, he faded in and out, but Jarryd played well for most of the first 80 minutes.

In a way, it's sad to see how so many of you in this forum can't sense the obvious fact that Jarryd Hayne is a 6 and will be the best front line player our club has produced since Sterling and Kenny.

very well said Capser, all of it and especially the bolded scetion. Gus Gould essentailly agrees with you at least on all of this, maybe he knows a thing or two about the game.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
well that's it LOL, Roberts threw that pass for Hayne's try didn't he??

Better men have been intercepted for tries by Jarryd Hayne.

Back in '06 when he scored 4 tries against the Knights, Hayne picked off Andrew Johns twice, including taking one about 90 metres for a try.

Ben Roberts is coming next year whether you like it or not. Best you stop death-riding him because he'll be wearing blue and gold.

And I know none of you guys death-ride the Eels. :roll:

Bazal

Post Whore

Wow...just wow. One of the worst cases of people seeing what they want to see I think I've ever read...

Eels Dude

Coach
He's a first grader. There's no way he's been signed to play for Wenty.

I agree, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him in the lower grades next year same as the way he's spent most of this year in the lower grades, and also a lot of other first graders from our club have spent time down there this year (Webb, Hicks, Walker, etc). So nothing is a given and nor should it be.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The tip is Sheens wants to switch Benji to fullback so he can use his running game better.

He's tried it in the past but his confidence suffered after dropping a few bombs.

caylo

Bench
The tip is Sheens wants to switch Benji to fullback so he can use his running game better.

He's tried it in the past but his confidence suffered after dropping a few bombs.

Last time they dropped Benji to fullback was because of his defence and shoulders rather then running game. They also tried to shift him to the wing in defence but that didn't work out, he isnt a fullback and it will fail again no doubt.