What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels treating close losses this year as a learning process

Gronk

Staff member
Parramatta Eels treating close losses this year as a learning process

006082-eels.jpg

THE Parramatta Eels are entitled to be an NRL club in crisis and disarray after winning just one game of football since May.

Not so. Instead the players and coach Stephen Kearney are treating all the agonising weeks of golden point losses, tries after the full-time siren and field-goal heartbreak as a learning curve for next season.
Incredibly, the Eels have not been beaten by more than four points - apart from a 25-12 loss to the Raiders - since round 11 yet they've only come away with three competition points.
" It's been a long eight weeks of football - very frustrating but encouraging at the same time," Parramatta's State of Origin front-rower Tim Mannah said yesterday.
"We've played some great footy at different stages but not for 80 minutes.

"We led Storm 18-nil then drifted away from the game plan. Same old story. Personally, I don't take losses lightly but I hope we can look back on what's happened as character building.
"The coaching staff have been great and all we can do is treat this as a learning curve."
Even winning just half of the close games, Parramatta would be on 22 points and knocking on the door for the finals.Mannah has no doubts the addition of Souths' brilliant halfback Chris Sandow next year will help turn the Eels into a more serious premiership threat.
"I'm good mates with Chris from when we toured England and France together in 2006 with the Australian schoolboys, " Mannah said.
"We spent five weeks on that tour and he's a terrific fella and a great little player.
http://blogs.news.com.au/dailyteleg...legraph/comments/predicting_the_nrl_premiers/
"Look at how well he's done at Souths over the last couple of weeks. I'm sure he can bring that form to Parramatta next year and make a big difference for us."
Meanwhile, the Eels are determined to finish the year on a respectable note with matches against the Rabbitohs, the Sea Eagles, the Wests Tigers, the Roosters and the Titans.
Skipper Nathan Hindmarsh refuses to be critical of the players or the coaching staff despite the disappointment of missing the finals.
"I've got big wraps on this team," Hindmarsh said.,
"I've been in teams where we haven't been travelling that well and we've turned our toes up and not turned up the following week.
"We're not winning games but this team's different.
"We're not giving up.
"Everyone's trying. We're having a crack."
Like in the previous losses, Hindmarsh puts Monday night's loss to the Storm down to poor options more than lack of energy or enthusiasm.
"Some of us wanted to defend the lead while some of us tried to come up with a fancy play instead of sticking with the way we'd played for the first 60 minutes. We have to all get on the same page," he said.
After years of non-stop success as Kiwi Test coach and Melbourne Storm assistant, no-one is more frustrated than Eels coach Kearney.
"We've fallen into a bit of a habit (of losing) and it's one that doesn't sit well with the group," Kearney said. "We'll keep perservering and searching for the finish line. Against Melbourne, they never put their cue in the rack - but the Storm are always coming to get you."
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...learning-process/story-e6frfgbo-1226107006490

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
we already know how to lose, we dont need any more practise

Maroubra Eel

Coach
They are definitely having a crack. I hate losing but at least I can handle it now we are having a deadset go and never giving up.

koal4e

Juniors
Previous losses were poor, at leasty I take heart that we gave the Storm game a real go and actually looked the better team for the first 50 mins or so!

Bigfella

Coach
I think it means he's on the run from Interpol.

Otherwise I like the quotes and agree with the comments, especially ME's.

bartman

Immortal
Fairly positive article from Rothfield... must be a full moon or something?

I'd hope we're learning something from the string of close losses - you'd be worried if we didn't learn anything and weren't capable of some further improvement.

But some very funny running pictures there of Hindy's onfield frustration!

SDM

First Grade
Look at his body language in all the photos. Little wonder we keep losing.

FUIFUI_MOIMOI

Juniors
As depressing as the last 8 rounds have been, I can't complain because we've tried our best in each and every game. We haven't been doing this the last couple years. We never knew what Eels team was going to turn up on game day.

whall15

Coach
An Editor-at-Large is a journalist who contributes content to a publication.

Unlike an editor who works on a publication from day-to-day and is hands on, an editor-at-large will contribute content on a regular or semi-regular basis and will have less of a say on a specific field such as layout, pictures or the publication’s direction.

However, unlike a writer, they are allowed their own preferences in the content they have to generate and don’t always have to pitch their ideas to the main editor. Though they are still subject to the direction and oversight of chief editors and executive editors, they frequently come up with ideas for other writers to research and write. "At large" means the editor has no specific assignments, but rather works on whatever interests them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Editor-at-Large

jimmy77au

Juniors
Fairly positive article from Rothfield... must be a full moon or something?

I'd hope we're learning something from the string of close losses - you'd be worried if we didn't learn anything and weren't capable of some further improvement.

But some very funny running pictures there of Hindy's onfield frustration!

Isn't Rothfield on the Eels Payroll now? He does his little "moments" thing on the Eels App.......

forward pass

Coach
They are definitely having a crack. I hate losing but at least I can handle it now we are having a deadset go and never giving up.

I dont know - sometimes I prefer to be gone at halftime so I know the result rather than getting getting my hopes up for 77 minutes !

Latest posts