What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tomahawks to include "both" leagues?

gothenyknights

Juniors
Apparently Matthew Elliot said this:

"But he says the side which takes on Jamaica and South Africa between October 15 and 23 will be picked from both US competitions as well as outlying areas such as Hawaii, Utah and California. It could also include NRL’s Junior and Joseph Paulo because of their American Samoan heritage."

Here's for being optimistic!

(I can't post the link, steve mascord's site...steve mascord . com)

Evil Homer

Staff member
Sweet. I was pretty sure a guy like Elliot would want to pick the best side possible and not be interested in Niu's BS.

Choo Choo

Juniors
Will be great if it's followed through and USARL members are at least considered. Then it will truly be a USA select side. That will go a LONG way in repairing the damage of the past year.

welshmagpie

Juniors
Joseph Paulo can play for Samoa and Samoa only.. he's to good and versaitile for Steve Prices plans to play for the US. In my opinion.

Good on Matty Elliott otherwise

They don't have much choice. If they are any hope of making the WC they need everyone on deck. Jamaica could ring in any number of SL and Championships players if they want to so the Tomahawks are going to need their best local and overseas players too.

deal.with.it

Juniors
I dont quite like how Matt Elliot said in that article something along the lines of "if you have a parent or grandparent who is american get in contact with dave. Even if you aren't in the NRL, if you've played at a good standard".

Now i don't mind players playing for their ancestral nations. We live in a world where most people have a mix of nations and their accent doesn't mean who they are inside. But I don't think you need to call on players from low leagues in aus i.e. CRL groups or QRL regions.
If you are going to pick players from both US comps there should be enough talent to mix with a handful of Aus and UK based players.
To me what Elliot has said shows some desperation, which is good in a way because he obviously really wants the US to qualify.

Romeo Monteith has said he will call on a big portion of players from the UK, with the jamaicans having a training camp over there.
And who knows what the South Africans will bring.
USA can not risk not picking players from both US comps. They have come too far to not make this world cup - they have been around for long enough to be good enough.

I say good luck to all competing, this will surely be a surprising tournament.

deal.with.it

Juniors
It does say that additional players could be added to give the tomahawks the best chance at making the world cup. So that could very well mean that some USARL players will be contacted.
I can't help but feel that majority of players selected will be so underdone heading into the tournament. Oh well, i'm sure Niu knows what he's doing...
:sarcasm:

deal.with.it

Juniors
Also, when was the last time Matt Peterson and David Myles played a game?
Last time i checked Peterson was running a tyre business on the gold coast.

welshmagpie

Juniors
I cant even be bothered to work out how big that train on squad is :crazy:

And to think they 'may' be adding USARL players to that

Evil Homer

Staff member
I cant even be bothered to work out how big that train on squad is :crazy:

And to think they 'may' be adding USARL players to that
It seems like they've purposely gone out to name every player possible other than those in the USARL, pretty pathetic really. Hopefully Matt Elliott tells Niu where to shove it.

deluded pom?

Coach
They also have players listed who play for a team that as far as I'm aware haven't even played a game yet i.e. Atlanta Legion and Chatanooga :shock:

Choo Choo

Juniors
So I guess "both competitions" means the Atlantic and Pacific AMNRL comps. Oh well, there goes wishful thinking. Regardless of how events unfold, many of the Slayers will be in Philadelphia to watch the WRC qualifiers and will be posting our impression of each match.

winnyason

Juniors
Well sorry, but david niu and his gang are petty grubs really how f**ked is that. It is there loss of course let's hope all the ex pro heritage players trun up, given the rumours likes of mark calderwood and raynor for jamacia and ex currie cup players for the rhinos the tomahawks will have to pull there socks up.

druzik

Juniors
It seems like they've purposely gone out to name every player possible other than those in the USARL, pretty pathetic really. Hopefully Matt Elliott tells Niu where to shove it.

Niu met his wife cause of Elliot ... ther are like best mates ... Elliot will do as Niu says I feel.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Niu met his wife cause of Elliot ... ther are like best mates ... Elliot will do as Niu says I feel.
Why does this not surprise me. Someone should e-mail Elliott and ask him if there's any logical reason why he's not selected the strongest squad possible.

Latest posts