What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kearney

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Kearney will improve

Obviously. He's already recruited better for next year than he did for this year.

He also stopped picking Daniel Mortimer and eventually forced him out of the club. That's an improvement right there.

but he will not get the results the fans expect in 2012.

Depends what the fans expect.

Personally I expect top 8 and no better. Considering the roster he's assembled I can't see us doing any worse than that.

It may be about getting that extra 10% out of the players to get you over the line - that's what Bennett can do because of the aura he has built over MANY years of coaching.

Yeah well Bennett had to start somewhere and he didn't even have the benefit of the aura Kearney had built up as a player/assistant coach/international coach.

Did Wayne Bennett captain his club and country at age 21? I assume he commanded respect from a young age just like Kearney did.

Oh now I remember, Kearney had nothing to do with rugby league before this year. Such a rookie.

jk13

First Grade
I hav to say it's the most entertaining football I hav seen the poms play this tournament in a long time.

Gronk

Staff member
Yeah I think some here have seen the result on the web and concluded that SK has failed again. The Poms deserve credit. They played some bloody good footy.

SK has at least 13 rounds before I will make any judgement on him. He should be given the same opportunities as Ando was, that's only fair.

Eels Dude

Coach
sorry but Wayne Bennet wasn't involed in last year and they won.How many coaches have been successful with NZ team in the Past. I'll say this to all the Non Believers when Parramatta eels start winning do not jump on the Band Wagon.

If people weren't passionate supporters they wouldn't post in here in the first place. Just because fans aren't happy about the way the side is performing over the past year doesn't mean they are any less of a supporter than yourself. So I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 'Do not jump on the bandwagon' :?

Suitman

Post Whore
If people weren't passionate supporters they wouldn't post in here in the first place. Just because fans aren't happy about the way the side is performing over the past year doesn't mean they are any less of a supporter than yourself. So I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 'Do not jump on the bandwagon' :?

It's quite simple really. For those bagging out Kearney now, don't turn around and start saying he's a great coach when we are doing well.
Are you that dumb?

Suity

gee there are some Kearney bashers on here at the moment.
1. since he had control of recruitment we have recruited and re-signed junior better than the last 10 years.
2. the club side he had last year played with guts and were in a lot of games, consider the squad and they should have been wooden spooners.
3. When it comes to NZ he has been successful with them when playing in Aust or NZ, English conditions are different.

Give the bloke time as far as Eels go, look if we haven't made the finals in the next 2 season then maybe he's not upto it. But saw more positives than negitives in 2011 with a better squad for 2012 we should make the 8.

Eels Dude

Coach
It's quite simple really. For those bagging out Kearney now, don't turn around and start saying he's a great coach when we are doing well.
Are you that dumb?

Suity

I understand that just don't see the problem with it. What's wrong with eating humble pie if you admit you were wrong. It's up to SK to prove himself and if he does good on him, he'll deserve every bit of praise he gets.

I see a bandwagoner as someone who only supports the club when they're going well, ie. going to games, buying memberships etc. It's pretty clear everyone in here supports the club no matter what, just express it in different ways. Otherwise they wouldn't be in here in the first place.

Last edited:
Gees some of you expect to much. The guy had a bunch of nuffies in his first year and lost atleast 4 games in last 5 minutes. Remind me again how did mr Bennett do with a team full of state of origin stars in the late 80's and how many finals did they make?

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If people weren't passionate supporters they wouldn't post in here in the first place.

Not true.

A lot of non-Manly fans have been trolling the Silvertails forum because they love seeing Manly suffer and they enjoy antagonising their fans.

Likewise, there are some 'Eels fans' who only turn up to post here, and only comment in threads where the board/CEO/coach are under pressure.

You never hear from these guys when something good happens, other than to throw a wet blanket over it all by telling us they have 'reservations'.

When this is pointed out they fall back on the good old "Nobody's allowed to have a different opinion/question anything/whatever on this board" or they say they wouldn't be here if they were a fan of the club.

But it's bullshit. Opposition fans come here all the time to troll or gloat, and there's no real difference if it's an Eels fan.

This club relies on the people running it to do well. If they don't do well then neither does the club.

Bottom line - if you wish ill on the people in charge then the club will suffer, especially the team and the fans.

But if you only 'hope the club does well I just don't think they will' then really what's the difference?

"The wish is father to the thought."

Why would anyone think we're going to do poorly next year other than that they want us to, for whatever reason? Only a person that wishes the club (or the people running it) ill would think we're going to suck next year, just as only a rabid Parra fan would predict top 4.

Just because fans aren't happy about the way the side is performing over the past year doesn't mean they are any less of a supporter than yourself. So I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 'Do not jump on the bandwagon' :?

Blah blah blah, nobody's happy with the way the club performed this year, but the blame is as much to do with the position we've found ourselves in - both regarding playing roster and culture.

The worst thing that could have happened to the new board was the team doing its standard 3-5 yearly overachievement in 2009. That meant they couldn't f**k the inconsistent deadwood off quicker and instead were forced to let the club tread water for a couple of shit years before they could take action.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Yeah I think some here have seen the result on the web and concluded that SK has failed again. The Poms deserve credit. They played some bloody good footy.

SK has at least 13 rounds before I will make any judgement on him. He should be given the same opportunities as Ando was, that's only fair.

I really can't see anything but success next year.

But worse case scenario, if we are going no good by R13 I reckon we will be shopping for a new coach. All hypothetical though cause it ain't going to happen.

Suitman

Post Whore
Not true.

A lot of non-Manly fans have been trolling the Silvertails forum because they love seeing Manly suffer and they enjoy antagonising their fans.

Likewise, there are some 'Eels fans' who only turn up to post here, and only comment in threads where the board/CEO/coach are under pressure.

You never hear from these guys when something good happens, other than to throw a wet blanket over it all by telling us they have 'reservations'.

When this is pointed out they fall back on the good old "Nobody's allowed to have a different opinion/question anything/whatever on this board" or they say they wouldn't be here if they were a fan of the club.

But it's bullshit. Opposition fans come here all the time to troll or gloat, and there's no real difference if it's an Eels fan.

This club relies on the people running it to do well. If they don't do well then neither does the club.

Bottom line - if you wish ill on the people in charge then the club will suffer, especially the team and the fans.

But if you only 'hope the club does well I just don't think they will' then really what's the difference?

"The wish is father to the thought."

Why would anyone think we're going to do poorly next year other than that they want us to, for whatever reason? Only a person that wishes the club (or the people running it) ill would think we're going to suck next year, just as only a rabid Parra fan would predict top 4.

Blah blah blah, nobody's happy with the way the club performed this year, but the blame is as much to do with the position we've found ourselves in - both regarding playing roster and culture.

The worst thing that could have happened to the new board was the team doing its standard 3-5 yearly overachievement in 2009. That meant they couldn't f**k the inconsistent deadwood off quicker and instead were forced to let the club tread water for a couple of shit years before they could take action.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
No, truly, I couldn't have.

Suity

Parra

Referee
Are you that dumb?

Suity

Bullshit.

The bandwagoners comments are aimed at anyone who doesn't like losing.

Bag the coach in a losing season and praise him in a winning one. That is normal.

Heaping praise on for the wins and making excuses for the loses is not acceptable. And thinking that way does not make anyone a 'bandwagoner'.

Some sense of competitive spirit is needed in this place. Too much complacency already - no need to breed any more.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Bullshit.

The bandwagoners comments are aimed at anyone who doesn't like losing.

Bag the coach in a losing season and praise him in a winning one. That is normal.

Heaping praise on for the wins and making excuses for the loses is not acceptable. And thinking that way does not make anyone a 'bandwagoner'.

Some sense of competitive spirit is needed in this place. Too much complacency already - no need to breed any more.

The problem with this is nobody's heaping praise on Kearney for the wins - the wins are credited to the players, just as the losses should be.

Kearney gets praise for recruitment and player development, and for getting the best out of the players each week.

Our recruiting has been awesome for next year, and that includes all the blokes coaxed into retirement or out of the club. A lot of rookies became first graders this season, and a lot of our younger guys continued to improve. Finally, there were only four games where the players didn't give their best (Storm, Dragons, Raiders and Souths).

What more could Kearney have done?

mickdo

Coach
Poms played pretty well this year (for a change). I don't think SK should cop all the blame for this one.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
The problem with this is nobody's heaping praise on Kearney for the wins - the wins are credited to the players, just as the losses should be.

Kearney gets praise for recruitment and player development, and for getting the best out of the players each week.

Our recruiting has been awesome for next year, and that includes all the blokes coaxed into retirement or out of the club. A lot of rookies became first graders this season, and a lot of our younger guys continued to improve. Finally, there were only four games where the players didn't give their best (Storm, Dragons, Raiders and Souths).

I would even agrue the gmes against Stomr and Dragons there was plenty of effort we were just out classed. For example I think in the Stomr game we only made 3 or so mistakes in the first half, but each one lead to a try. In the game against Dragons, they took advantage of our defensive structure and Loco which lead to several tries - our defence was compressed in that game

Far Canal

Juniors

Do not agree with this PB. At the end of the day (season) a coach is evaluated on his team's performance and this season just passed, Parra's inability to win some close games after holding leads late in the game all point back to Kearney. In some of those close games, there were stupid decisions made by players and the buck stops with the coach for this (whether justified or not).

SDM

First Grade
Do not agree with this PB. At the end of the day (season) a coach is evaluated on his team's performance and this season just passed, Parra's inability to win some close games after holding leads late in the game all point back to Kearney. In some of those close games, there were stupid decisions made by players and the buck stops with the coach for this (whether justified or not).

Well that's me convinced, get me my pitchfork and lynching shoes

Maroubra Eel

Coach

Nah mate, with our crappy roster, most of whom wouldn't get a game at any other club,apparently, we shouldn't have even been in a position to win those games in the first place. In fact, we overachieved.

Latest posts