What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kearney

SDM

First Grade
It is important not to underestimate just how terrible Luke Burt us at football. He lost us all those games.

Kornstar

Coach
SO let me get this straight, you are a bandwagoner if you are a little worried that the coach's record is sketchy?

Recruitment is good, the right structures seem to be in place........last piece of the puzzle is if the coach can do anything with it........i am not 100% confident, i want to be BUT i have been burnt plenty :(

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Do not agree with this PB. At the end of the day (season) a coach is evaluated on his team's performance and this season just passed, Parra's inability to win some close games after holding leads late in the game all point back to Kearney.

No they don't; they point to a lack of a kicking game and lack of speed out wide in defence.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
SO let me get this straight, you are a bandwagoner if you are a little worried that the coach's record is sketchy?

Recruitment is good, the right structures seem to be in place........last piece of the puzzle is if the coach can do anything with it........i am not 100% confident, i want to be BUT i have been burnt plenty :(

Next year is THE year mate. Get excited!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You trying to say we will have a good coach 2013-2015

You don't reckon Kearney will be a good coach by then?

By the start of 2013 he'll have two years of rugby league experience under his belt.

I know you've been watching the game a lot longer than that, but hopefully by then Kearney will know as much as you do about footy and use of the interchange bench.

But if Kearney turns out no good maybe we can get Daniel Anderson back? I just hope we don't have to pay too much to buy out his contract with his current club.

IFR33K

Coach
You don't reckon Kearney will be a good coach by then?

By the start of 2013 he'll have two years of rugby league experience under his belt.

I know you've been watching the game a lot longer than that, but hopefully by then Kearney will know as much as you do about footy and use of the interchange bench.

But if Kearney turns out no good maybe we can get Daniel Anderson back? I just hope we don't have to pay too much to buy out his contract with his current club.

I got a better idea. Let's give SK a fair go, if the team is struggling mid year, maybe our CEO at the time can go down to Canberra, and speak to their assistant.

A new rookie won't be to hard to find, will it?????

Jodeci

Bench
For those of us who closely watch the Superleague, it has improved dramatically.

They have a good mix of old and young and finally have the right 1, 7, 9.

Sam Tomkins has been a stand out.

Rangi Chase was the best half in the comp and won the man of steel award

James Roby, great no.9 who can easily play NRL.

Kiwis were totally out played, although they were missing Matai, Manu, junior Sa'u, Hoffman etc

Fui was a late withdrawal also

It's been a very long season for the majority of the kiwi squad.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I got a better idea. Let's give SK a fair go, if the team is struggling mid year...

I've got an even better idea.

Save your hypotheticals and wait to see how we're travelling. If the team is struggling mid year then it won't matter what happens because we're well and truly f**ked as a club.

What are you going to do if we're sitting top four by round 13? You keep going on about "if the team struggles". What if they do well next year? Why do you never have anything to say about that?

IFR33K

Coach
I've got an even better idea.

Save your hypotheticals and wait to see how we're travelling. If the team is struggling mid year then it won't matter what happens because we're well and truly f**ked as a club.

What are you going to do if we're sitting top four by round 13? You keep going on about "if the team struggles". What if they do well next year? Why do you never have anything to say about that?

Nah, your idea sux. Mine was better.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
Bag the coach in a losing season and praise him in a winning one. That is normal.
It's also shortsighted and simplistic.

Some sense of competitive spirit is needed in this place. Too much complacency already - no need to breed any more.
Do you think Kearney is complacent? Do you think he recruits complacent players? Do you think that he is breeding complacency?

At the end of the day (season) a coach is evaluated on his team's performance and this season just passed, Parra's inability to win some close games after holding leads late in the game all point back to Kearney. In some of those close games, there were stupid decisions made by players and the buck stops with the coach for this (whether justified or not).
So you say that the buck stops with the coach, though this may not be justified?!? That is the sort of shortsighted, knee-jerk reaction that is the problem in moden sport, and it has been created by the desire to see instant fixes in an environment where building a winning culture takes time.

If it's not justified for the buck to stop with the coach (for example, he might not have the right players to make smart decisions) then don't let the buck stop with him.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
I think how "bandwagon" was used here has been taken out of context. It wasn't being said that you were a bandwagon fan of the Eels if you bagged the coach this year only to change your tune next year if we went well. The post was saying that if you state things like "Kearney will never be a good first grade coach" (as the original poster did), then if he succeeds and suddenly change your attitude, that is being a "bandwagon Kearney fan".

And I entirely agree. You see, what you say here
is, I believe, how people should be thinking and feeling (if not more positive). The reason I think this is because the only argument against Kearney so far is results of one season, whereas everything else - recruitment, attitudes etc - seems good, so it's impossible to tell whether or not he will end up being a good or great coach. I'd say on balance things are looking up.

In the absence of any definitive proof that he is a bad coach why do people go the negative option? It really perplexes me why people always see the downside to everything and then claim they are just being realistic when, quite plainly, they aren't.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Too many new players.

We'll finish 6th-8th, but the squad itself is good enough to win the premiership (not saying much since about 7 or 8 clubs will have squads good enough to win the comp next year).

So it's a bit of a rebuilding year.

I've got a feeling we can do it.

For those of us who closely watch the Superleague, it has improved dramatically.

They have a good mix of old and young and finally have the right 1, 7, 9.

Sam Tomkins has been a stand out.

Rangi Chase was the best half in the comp and won the man of steel award

James Roby, great no.9 who can easily play NRL.

Kiwis were totally out played, although they were missing Matai, Manu, junior Sa'u, Hoffman etc

Fui was a late withdrawal also

It's been a very long season for the majority of the kiwi squad.

Mate, you can't reason with idiots.

Let's see what he does this year and then judge him.

Latest posts