What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crisis rocks Parramatta club as director quits

hasman

Juniors
maybe they'll be hand picked by dyldam?

No that won't Happen. I'll say this No Sponsor or anyperson is Bigger then the Club. The Board are moving in a direction and We should allow them to make that Decision. Look at Manly Board what they did with the Coach. Imagaine if our Boad did that what Ray Hardley and Co would do.

Gronk

Staff member
No that won't Happen. I'll say this No Sponsor or anyperson is Bigger then the Club. The Board are moving in a direction and We should allow them to make that Decision. Look at Manly Board what they did with the Coach. Imagaine if our Boad did that what Ray Hardley and Co would do.

Agree, they would have gone ballistic if we sacked a coach after making a grand final. Oh, hold on ...

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Agree, they would have gone ballistic if we sacked a coach after making a grand final. Oh, hold on ...

Making a grand final and winning one are two different things.

Here's a list of grand final losing coaches this century:

Graham Murray (twice)
Brian Smith (twice)
Daniel Anderson (twice)
Ricky Stuart (twice)
Craig Bellamy (twice)
Des Hasler
Ivan Cleary

Here's a list of grand final winning coaches this century:

Wayne Bennett (three times)
Craig Bellamy (twice)
Des Hasler (twice)
Michael Hagan
Ricky Stuart
John Lang
Steve Folkes
Tim Sheens

You might notice there's not a lot of overlap between the two lists, and there's a couple of repeat offenders on both lists too. Something to think about.

Manly were always a good chance of winning the 2011 grand final because they finished the season in 2nd place. We finished 2009 in 8th place which is why we were no chance of winning that game.

If the system was fair (and not driven by money) there would only be 5 teams in the finals, and a better team than us would have contested the 2009 grand final.

Des Hasler 2011: 2nd place finish, premiers, big money coaching job for 2012 and beyond

Daniel Anderson 2009: 8th place, grand finalists, unemployed coach since 2010

Since you're comparing the two.

Last edited:

BigErn

Juniors
If the system was fair (and not driven by money) there would only be 5 teams in the finals, and a better team than us would have contested the 2009 grand final.

QUOTE]

Always with the what if's

What if Tony Archer wasnt such a f%&khead and he called Slater's knock on as exactly that?
What if Todd Lowrie didn't have a sudden urge to become the world's best playmaker and take the reigns on the last?
What if Joel Reddy didn't cop a knock and was still on the field when Greg Inglis took that bomb?

Ohh here's a great what if:
What if those c0cksucking f&*kwit Melbournians didn't spit in the face of the greatest game on earth?

Gronk

Staff member
Didn't he coached us in 2010 and fail?

Then got the punt?

The CEO flew to Melbourne 1st week of June 2010. So the decision to look elsewhere must have been made in May, on or before about round 8 or 9.

BigErn

Juniors
The CEO flew to Melbourne 1st week of June 2010. So the decision to look elsewhere must have been made in May, on or before about round 8 or 9.

We were in the same position in 2010 that we were in 2009 when Luke Burt missed that goal in the Tigers game. Still remember that day. Gutwrenching.

All that aside... and as much as you people want to bicker... he had NO control of the footy team he was coaching. He had zero support from the board from day dot.

I don't know if any coach could perform under those circumstances.

Stephen Kearney has above and beyond support from his board.
He could probably stab one of the lads in the dressing room and the board would call it a minor indiscretion or maybe a necessary measure to get control of the team.

Eels Dude

Coach
Manly were always a good chance of winning the 2011 grand final because they finished the season in 2nd place. We finished 2009 in 8th place which is why we were no chance of winning that game.

2009 shows the even-ness in the competition. The fact we came from 8th to beat teams 1,2 and 3, to make the GF shows we weren't really that far behind those sides despite just scraping into the finals. The only way you could have a fair finals top 5 system would be if each team played each other both home and away over the course of the season and had stand alone weekends for origin and test football. There's just too many variables that's why a top 8 system is needed.

It's very hard to build an aura in this day and age and Hasler has done well, probably the only coach that has been able to consistently over a period of time apart from Bellamy but there will always be the cheating cloud over his head. It makes it hard to judge other coach's performances and what's to be expected of them.

Eels Dude

Coach
Absolutely. And apart from a 10 week period in 2009 we were a complete and utter rabble of a side for two seasons. Funny how no-one seems to remember that !

We played well when it mattered most, the back end of the season. That's when premierships are won... we just fell one game short.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Probably saw the future of the team going downhill well before on-field results proved it.

Remember, the guys on the inside of the club can see how the future of the team is looking. They can see how much work is being done on recruitment, retention and player development. They can see the attitude of the players. All this stuff bodes well or ill for the future of the team, but isn't readily apparent to us fans.

Look at the Titans. Semi-finalists '09, preliminary finalists '10, wooden spooners '11. People on the inside would have seen the decline coming in the reduced physical performance of ageing players at training, etc. Which is why they started their big recruitment drive early this year. Obviously they would have been better off starting last year, but a big recruitment drive requires a lot of players coming off contract, and it's hard to get a lot out of a team when half the players won't be around the following year. That's why premiership teams never lose many players the year immediately after, but lose plenty the year after that.

The board obviously saw 2011 coming last year, and figured they'd get someone else in to oversee the cleanout. To his credit, Kearney has gotten rid of a lot of deadwood and recruited very well for the future.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We were in the same position in 2010 that we were in 2009 when Luke Burt missed that goal in the Tigers game. Still remember that day. Gutwrenching.

That wasn't even the last game of the season though.

Do you really want to be in a position where you have to win 8 of your last 9 to scrape into the finals?

All that aside... and as much as you people want to bicker... he had NO control of the footy team he was coaching. He had zero support from the board from day dot.

I don't know if any coach could perform under those circumstances.

Yeah maybe. Whatever, he's gone. It's all in the past, or at least it would be if you people could let go.

Who cares if Daniel Anderson isn't the coach? There's another 7 billion people in the world who aren't the coach of the Parramatta Eels, and most of those don't even have a cushy job in the media.

There's worse off people than Daniel Anderson you could be feeling sorry for.

Stephen Kearney has above and beyond support from his board.

And that's terrible isn't it? Gee I wish our coach and board had a shithouse working relationship.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
2009 shows the even-ness in the competition. The fact we came from 8th to beat teams 1,2 and 3, to make the GF shows we weren't really that far behind those sides despite just scraping into the finals.

Well I think all teams are pretty even, at least compared to 10 or 20 years ago.

So my point is that the 8th placed team isn't so much worse than the minor premiers, but more that they are far less deserving of being in the finals.

If the team that runs last played the premiers five times I reckon they'd beat them at least once. You couldn't say that ten years ago.

The only way you could have a fair finals top 5 system would be if each team played each other both home and away over the course of the season and had stand alone weekends for origin and test football. There's just too many variables that's why a top 8 system is needed.

Fair point.

It's very hard to build an aura in this day and age and Hasler has done well, probably the only coach that has been able to consistently over a period of time apart from Bellamy but there will always be the cheating cloud over his head. It makes it hard to judge other coach's performances and what's to be expected of them.

As far as auras are concerned, I reckon Melbourne lost theirs in round 25 against Manly. They were never the same after that.

St George also lost their aura this year. About mid-season the wheels just fell off.

Going into next year there are absolutely no teams I see as having any kind of aura. Manly, despite their success over the past four years, have never been a team with an aura, and this might explain their success. In my mind, a team's aura comes from key players, and nobody at Manly is a bona-fide superstar. Foran and Williams might be on their way there, and maybe Brett Stewart and Jamie Lyon used to be. But right now there are no Manly players who scare me.

I'm confident we're at least 50-50 against anyone in any game next year. That's why I reckon we'll run at least 8th.

Latest posts