What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Junior Reps Harold Matthews & SG Ball

Raiderdave

First Grade
Smokies for 2012 Matthews Cup - Cronulla - very good back row and speed to burn out wide - pretty easy draw will help

not traditionally a side that challenges for honours in the matts are the Sharks
but they sure bashed up Canberra pretty good last Saturday in Sydney
plenty of go forward & were quite lethal outwide as you say .....

so if they're one of the stronger outfits that would explain a bit as there was a bit of head scratching going on amongst the coaching staff for the raiders matts side...

KAB

Juniors
Gday All,

Just looked at the draw for Matts / Ball for 2012 especially the raiders, I compared with Central Coast. Both have tough draw. Being a coastie I have an interest in the CC boys. From what I hear they are making ground on others. Especially those with NRL clubs.

;-)

KAB

Juniors
Are you implying that the Central Coast Boys, dont rate. You also have to remember Manly have taken 8 players under 16's from the coast. I have heard and seen the coast boys train. Very impressed with size and fitness.
;-)

billy2

Juniors
Knights will be very strong this year.

Last year they went very close in Matts and won Ball with all local squads.

This year they are gong all local again and have had a considerable increase in resources.

Graham Murray has been appointed director of junior coaching, and at the recent junior camp at Myuna Bay Wayne Bennett got Matt Gidley to drive him down for the day - so the kids had Graham Murray and Wayne Bennett and Matt Gidley helping out their regular coaches.

Talking of regular coaches, Phil Wiliams wil coach Ball again, looking to add to his titles in 2004 and 2011.

In Mathews Tevita Pangai and Sione Mata'utia will both line up for a second year, after jointly topping the regular season try scoring list in 2011, and several players from the title winning Ball side are back, including impressive captain and player of the year Luke Yates and other forwards Stevens, Lawrence and Eniliko amongst others.

Knights have been getting better for the last 3 or so years, but wll take it to a new level under Murray this year.

billy2

Juniors
Saw a bit of the Mathews trial between Knights and Manly today.
Sione Mata'utia looks like he is training the same as his brothers, Pete and Chanel with the firstgrade squad and Pat with NYC.
He looks 7 or 8kg bigger than last year at least, and he is much bigger than any of his brothers were at 15.
In the first quarter of the game he touched the ball twice and ran in two individual tries, then they took him off for the rest of the time i watched.
He was equal top tryscorer in the regular season last year with 11. Wouldn't surprize me if he doubles that this year.

KAB

Juniors
I saw those trials yesterday. He is a big kid for his age. Manly look like they are going to struggle. Knights will strong again which is good. I was there earlier to see Knights Development team play against the Central Coast Matts team.
The CC team had very strong team with 8 under age players and with players not playing due to injury. Newcasle Knights have got alot of depth. Central coast can pride themselves on Locals only. Cant be said about Manly.

mal12

Juniors
I saw those trials yesterday. He is a big kid for his age. Manly look like they are going to struggle. Knights will strong again which is good. I was there earlier to see Knights Development team play against the Central Coast Matts team.
The CC team had very strong team with 8 under age players and with players not playing due to injury. Newcasle Knights have got alot of depth. Central coast can pride themselves on Locals only. Cant be said about Manly.

Some central coast players choose to go elsewhere for their own reasons Interesting you didnt notice the cc players in newcastle hm and sg teams oh and the country kids that are in cc sg ball keeping some locals out.
I say good luck to every kid that gets an opportunity to play and develop their skills

KAB

Juniors
Some central coast players choose to go elsewhere for their own reasons Interesting you didnt notice the cc players in newcastle hm and sg teams oh and the country kids that are in cc sg ball keeping some locals out.
I say good luck to every kid that gets an opportunity to play and develop their skills
Geez I love footy, It shows how much talent is out there. I know players choose to go elsewhere for different reasons. I did notice Country kids in the CC and Newcastle and Manly teams.
I was referring to the depth that Newcastle has. The input ($$$) they have with the Central Coast teams. Newcastle have a quiet large area to pick from this also includes the Hunter, Newcastle and Coast area.
Bring on the next trial and the comp.
I also say good luck to each kid it is honour to play Rep footy (whether it be local or they have to travel)

KAB

Juniors
I went saw the Tigers and Coast boys yesterday. Matts game was very physical game, not much in it, Tigers get off their line very quick and the coasties halves did a good job not to stress. Tigers have big team, though Coast held there own. This will be a good a game in the comp. While in the SG Ball game Tigers out gunned the Coast boys. Though the tigers are a big mobile side with heaps of potential, coasties are improving and getting confident. Good Luck Boys

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Went out and watched Panthers v Dogs yesterday morning.

Panthers won comprehensively in SG Ball. Dogs left out their star players however.

Matts was a tight contest. Dogs got off to a lead early. Penrith then put on their better players to help get the win towards the end. Robert Jennings is a class above in this comp, expecting him to score A LOT of tries this year.

Tucantango

Juniors
Went out and watched Panthers v Dogs yesterday morning.

Panthers won comprehensively in SG Ball. Dogs left out their star players however.

Matts was a tight contest. Dogs got off to a lead early. Penrith then put on their better players to help get the win towards the end. Robert Jennings is a class above in this comp, expecting him to score A LOT of tries this year.

PD,

Correct mate, the Doggies left out their top 15 players! The coach was giving the remaining 22 players (who were competing for the last 10 spots in the squad) plenty of game time to shine! Nevertheless the Penrith SGB squad is awesome! They're both mobile and massive! My SGB grand-final prediction is a rematch of the 2010 HMC grand-final!

I noticed the new Penrith centre, Uafu Lavaka. I cant believe the Dogs let him go! He was wasted on the wing for the Dogs in SGB last year but looks to have found a great home at the foot of the mountains.

I am actually predicting Lavaka to make the U/18's and Australian Schoolboys in 2012. But for biased CHS officials Lavaka should have made it into the NSWCHS U/18's team in 2011. He will definately shine in the Penrith SGB team this year! I will even go as far and say he will be a smokey for inclusion in the U/20's at the end of the SGB season!

Regards,
Tuc

Panther_Daz

Staff member
I will even go as far and say he will be a smokey for inclusion in the U/20's at the end of the SGB season!

Was very impressed with Lavaka yesterday. He and Bryce Cartwright are the only 2 SG Ball players training with the 20's. Bryce is a freak.

Whoosh

Juniors
http://www.bulldogs.com.au/default....s-junior-rep-selections-–-press-release

2012 Bulldogs SG Ball Cup Squad
Winstone Asotasi
Brendan Cox
Jack Creighton
Addison Demetroiu
Jokatama Dokonivalu
Luke Eru
Jaelen Feeney
Jeremy Fuller
Royce Hunt
Tifa Iuta
Guston Jasmin
Jake Kamire
Denzel King
Tuuta Langi
Costner Lemafa
Brandon Mafi
Daniel Mailata
Mitchell Mamary
Joshua Montgomery
Michael Morgan
Alan Nuilesa
Kapulo Poleo
Anthony Semrany
George Tsikrikas
Luke Vella

2012 Bulldogs Harold Matthews Cup Squad
Joshua Abboud
Amro Abdalla
Justin Abou-Melhem
Godfred Agyemang
Ali Allouche
Sean-Paul Fenukitau
Simon Fonua
Anton Iaria
Patrick Kopu
Jordan Lemalu
Jordan Lotoaniu
Tom McCallum
Jaydn McGregor
Avia Minute
Shaquai Mitchell
Felix Moli
Marcelo Montoya
Daniel Russell
Lorima Sautu
Nifo Seve
William Soloa-Toomata
Esau Taetuli
Vailima Teaupa
Hakaraia Toi Toi
Christian Wakeham

2012 SWSAS Harold Matthews Squad
(Bulldogs Representatives)
Bilal Abouhaf
Ali Afchal
George Bou Serhal
Patrick Dunn
Mohammad Kabbout
Zain Kassem
Mun Mapiou
David Oxley
David Phillipe
Tevita Rokolati
Pio Sokobalavu
Takiika Tairi
Matthew Wicks

drago brelli

Bench
Illawarra destroyed Easts in the Matts trial. Illawarra are not big but tough and mobile. Looked well organised. Easts are appalling. Easts beat Illawarra in the Ball easily. Illawarra are too small and mostly 17yrs old. Easts might finish 7th or 8th. Top 4 in Ball should be the usual suspects, eg; Parra, Dogs, Penrith and Newcastle.

stormy77

Juniors
Dont know, had a look at parra knights the other day and in ball, knights struggled to go forward against them, they also looked to be struggling for a hooker and halves not up to the standard, could be a long year for them, parra looked ok, zac clay out of hooker was class above, they also look to struggle in the halves, considering the amount of players these days they push up early to 20s, parra are not as dominant as they use to be because of their early promotion, dont know how successful that is, or has been for them,, good luck to both of them anyway

Twoblu

Juniors
Did anyone happen to catch the Souths v Sharks trial last week...was away so couldn't go to the game

Raiderdave

First Grade
Did anyone happen to catch the Souths v Sharks trial last week...was away so couldn't go to the game

no but I did see the Sharks Matts side play Canberra in December

very impressive .... a class above the Raiders
and as someone said in here earlier ... they have a very favourable draw as well
pencil them in for the finals

KAB

Juniors
From what I heard through the boys, Souths Matts did it hard against the sharkies.

billy2

Juniors
Dont know, had a look at parra knights the other day and in ball, knights struggled to go forward against them, they also looked to be struggling for a hooker and halves not up to the standard, could be a long year for them, parra looked ok, zac clay out of hooker was class above, they also look to struggle in the halves, considering the amount of players these days they push up early to 20s, parra are not as dominant as they use to be because of their early promotion, dont know how successful that is, or has been for them,, good luck to both of them anyway
parra had cut their squad and were probably playing their best players, while the Knights were still suiting up two full teams and were resting a few certain selections.
Having said that, Parra were very strong in Mathews two years ago - just about unbeatable - and these will be the same kids.
Knights can get a lot better, but Parra might be the team to beat.