What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Irish Shirt for USA Match

deluded pom?

Coach
http://www.rlshop.co.uk/ireland-wolfhounds-rugby-shirt/

ireland-usa.jpg

LESStar58

Referee
They've had a similar jersey before for the Donnybrook Cup. Isn't this fi-ta mob the same people doing the refs outfit in the NRL.

It does seem weird. How many other national sporting teams have ever had the flag of another country on them? Apart from their own flag that intergrates another country's.

RedVee

First Grade
I'm not a fan. It looks alright as a shirt, but this is supposed to be a National Jersey for what should be a 'Test' match. It is not right to have the opponents flag making up half the jersey.

A big thumbs down from me.

deluded pom?

Coach
The only way I can see them justfying having another nation's flag on the shirt (aside from trying to make some money) is if they did it for each and every international match they played as a momento for the players rather than having the opponent's name and date embroidered under their own badge.

hellteam

First Grade
I don't understand. There's not even an Irish flag on it. Why is there an American one?

BODISGOD

Bench
I don't understand. There's not even an Irish flag on it. Why is there an American one?

League is a 32 county sport so the Irish flag wouldn't appear on it. The Irish Rugby Football Union and Golf Union of Ireland have a flag to represent the 32 counties so maybe something like that

Not a fan of the jersey tbh. A bit all over the place colours wise (The USA flag certainly doesn't help!).

Sam_the_man

First Grade
That Irish jersey having an American flag on it i suspect will be to try and grab support from Irish Americans for which there are plenty.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
League is a 32 county sport so the Irish flag wouldn't appear on it. The Irish Rugby Football Union and Golf Union of Ireland have a flag to represent the 32 counties so maybe something like that

Not a fan of the jersey tbh. A bit all over the place colours wise (The USA flag certainly doesn't help!).

That makes no sense.

Evil Homer

Staff member
That makes no sense.
Yes it does. The Ireland national RL team represents the whole of Ireland (ie. Northern Ireland does not have a seperate team). Therefore, the flag of the Republic of Ireland will not be displayed on the jersey.

As for the USA flag being on the jersey, it seems bloody stupid to me. But then so does this whole match.

BODISGOD

Bench
That makes no sense.

Oh dear

The USA flag only makes sense for the game that's in it but such a massive thing to cover a third of it boggles my mind. I don't see how it would appeal to Irish Americans either.

Just seems stupid all around to me.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
Yes it does. The Ireland national RL team represents the whole of Ireland (ie. Northern Ireland does not have a seperate team). Therefore, the flag of the Republic of Ireland will not be displayed on the jersey.

As for the USA flag being on the jersey, it seems bloody stupid to me. But then so does this whole match.

Ok that makes more sense. Thanks.

100%green

Juniors
Given the fact the large presence the Irish have on the east coast and the game is in that area (not far from NY either) you can easily understand why they would have it on there. I think it's very clever actually. Good on the Irish for doing this. I'm getting one!!!

RedVee

First Grade

True, both flags or none for the Irish, or even the 4 province flags or none.

Given the fact the large presence the Irish have on the east coast and the game is in that area (not far from NY either) you can easily understand why they would have it on there. I think it's very clever actually. Good on the Irish for doing this. I'm getting one!!!

Yes, I know that it must be / seems to be aimed at the Irish American population.
But I don't like it, this obviously is a "toy" match or exhibitation game.

BTW I am Australian of a (large majority) Irish descent. I don't think they should put the Australian flag on their jersey in that fashion if they ever play us.

Most would be a small recognition panel perhaps on the right breast or centred between and a little lower than the emblems. the four Irish province flags combined Vs the other flag with date and place under them would do.

LESStar58

Referee

While the RWC was on (and in the lead up) I saw the Irish team using a flag that was a quarter of each provincial flag (Leinster, Ulster, Munster and Connaught) flag. Could have sworn the game design was incorporated on to the Irish jersey at one stage. And during the anthems they'd parade the Irish tri-colour and the Ulster flag.

The USA flag is an odd choice I must admit but even at one stage I thought it would be intended to attract the Irish-Americans (or plastic Paddies as my best mate calls them).

Evil Homer

Staff member
While the RWC was on (and in the lead up) I saw the Irish team using a flag that was a quarter of each provincial flag (Leinster, Ulster, Munster and Connaught) flag. Could have sworn the game design was incorporated on to the Irish jersey at one stage. And during the anthems they'd parade the Irish tri-colour and the Ulster flag.
I don't watch RU, but I do know that the Irish RU has its own flag as you described and also that the 'anthem' they sing before matches is not the national anthem of Ireland, it's a special song that I think they comissioned themselves.

As for the flag on the jersey, I guess the thinking is that they might be able to sell a few as souveniers to anybody that happens to turn up (not that many will). It's a gimmick jersey for a joke match.

Last edited: