What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time for Parramatta to release shackles

eloquentEEL

First Grade
that's what I can't understand, there is not a simple gameplan that will guarantee results, as the attack changes , the defense catches up. Exactly where we are at now, defenses can handle the predictable attack easily.

Lets be innovators of the next "style" of play, not followers of previous styles.

To be acurate there is not even one gameplan that will last a season, each individual game should have it's own.

Who says that SK's long term plan is following a previous style? For all we know, it could be a plan to introduce a new style. If I had a plan like that, I would be guarding it with my life until I had a team I was confident could execute it. In the meantime, I'd be drilling my team on the fundamentals and addressing cultural and behavioural issues.

And if you do get to the point of being the innovators who introduce a new style of play / game plan which is unstoppable when executed properly (with, say a good couple of years of practice as a head start) then you only need very minor tweaks week to week, which makes it easier to stay consistent. I like the concept of having a different game plan to suit the opposition each week, but damn, the players would have to be good to execute multiple game plans effectively at this level.

True EEL

Bench
Can't wait to see which style we are going to go with tonight. I've got a feeling we will stick with the current gameplan.

I agree, on both accounts. Can't wait to see which type of team comes out to play, but fear that we will go back to the SK methodology :( History shows us so far this season that he is most likely to do that, as he did so after we won against Manly on the back of playing more of a 'free' style of game...

What a brilliant and insightful article by Jason Taylor though. I always thought he probably went into coaching a little early and probably paid the price for it - like many other coaches in recent times like, Brad Fittler, Nathan Brown, Ricky Stuart and Stephen Kearney. I actually thought Kearney had worked a better apprenticeship though and would fair better. So far that has NOT worked out.

Suitman

Post Whore
maybe not his fault but its kearney's responsibility to find out why its happening and try to train it out of him

OK, Einstein, how do you coach someone not to drop the ball?
f**k some of you lot are desperate.
Let's just hope we win tonight, eh?

Suity

True EEL

Bench

Suity

Then it is settled. Upon this agreement, a brief truce will follow for the next, ohhh, say 4 hours ;-) :cool:

Suity

i know you cant coach everything but it might be fixable you could look at the video of how it happened maybe he has a loose carry or catches it in an awkward way thats stuff that could be coached

eloquentEEL

First Grade
if he is drilling the team on the fundamentals why are they dropping balls and missing tackles every week?

Assuming he is actually drilling the fundamentals (I don't know, I don't attend training and was only suggesting what I would do in a particular scenario which may or may not be accurate, but that's another story)... then there are a number of potential reasons for it. Here are a few possibilities:

Hayne: making errors because we're being constricted by fear
Mannah: they're just lapses in concentration
Others:
- some players have poor technique (assume it's being addressed but will take time)
- whilst we focus on fundamentals, other teams know it and are able to exploit it or add extra pressure which forces mistakes, or they simply have better game plans at this stage which again forces mistakes
- some players are getting frustrated and trying something off their own bat, thereby not being on the same page as the others and causing mistakes

A couple of these could be addressed through cultural change and others through a more effective (and robust) game plan but both of these remedies will take time to do properly