What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jennings punted to Windsor

betcats

Referee
I agree, we have looked better without Walsh. His game is so one dimentional, he rarely engages the line to put someone through a hole or create space for his outside men, you never see him run the ball and create on overlap, and his rarely seen running game is getting less effective each time he plays.

Im still not conviced Harry is ready, but Walsh needs to go to Windsor.

mxlegend99

Referee
I'm jumping on the Moylan bandwagon. Harry and Arana both seem to be under injury clouds at the moment, while Moylan has been in excellent form. Throw him in the #7, let him take over goal kicking and put Burns to hooker or utility.

At the rate we've been losing games, there's really no harm in giving these blokes a few games here and there and picking the best performers to keep their first grade spots, or atleast jump ahead on the depth list. There's just no way that Brad Tighe should have been so high on the list for a first grade recall, and especially not to replace a bloke who was better then him in absolutely every game played this season.

betcats

Referee
You would think Moylan is gonna get a run soon, sounds like he has been tearing up NSW cup.

In all honesty i cannot remember being so uninterested in Penrith playing footy, i can't imagine ever not supporting the club but f**k me its been a terrible few weeks for us.

mxlegend99

Referee
Honestly i'm dreading going to the game. The team we named just looks deadset awful on paper. Between the reserve grade centres, wingers and second rowers there's pretty much no reason to expect anything other then a flogging. The only thing in our favor is that some team is surely going to underestimate us and allow us to get an upset. Would be nice to see us win a home game at some point.

stumpyone

Juniors
Has the return of Kingston giving direction in the middle of the ruck been a factor in the improvement. It appears that to pass, scoot and tackle are not quite enough.

franklin2323

Immortal
Don't get me wrong Moylan's better then Walsh. Taumata's better then Walsh. Walsh is better then Burns.

At least Walsh has had some success in the past with kicks. Burns seems unable to create. Anything we did good last week was Lewis & Austin.

Put Moylan or Taumata in the 7 something may happen. With Burns you know nothing will be created. He will just dummy & go himself. Burns is only slightly better then a makeshift 7.

mxlegend99

Referee
Don't get me wrong Moylan's better then Walsh. Taumata's better then Walsh. Walsh is better then Burns.

At least Walsh has had some success in the past with kicks. Burns seems unable to create. Anything we did good last week was Lewis & Austin.

Put Moylan or Taumata in the 7 something may happen. With Burns you know nothing will be created. He will just dummy & go himself. Burns is only slightly better then a makeshift 7.
Maybe with both at there absolute best... but that Luke Walsh only shows up against sides we're going to smash either way. Burns has been among our best this season and has created more opportunities then Luke Walsh.

Also Ivan Cleary has come out and said that it was strictly on field form that got Jennings dropped.... :sarcasm:

Jennings out of form in NRL: Penrith coach

Far from being a NSW State of Origin certainty, Penrith coach Ivan Cleary insists Michael Jennings' recent form has not even been up to NRL standard.
Cleary on Thursday broke his silence on his selection shock and made no apologies for dumping his star centre who is in danger of missing out on a place in the Blues side which will be announced on Sunday.
Jennings will play for Penrith's feeder club Windsor against the Auckland Vulcans on Saturday and it's unlikely NSW coach Ricky Stuart would pick a player from the second-tier competition to take on the all-conquering Queensland side.
"The selections we make here aren't based on anyone else's team - it's based on ours," Cleary said.
The Penrith coach echoed Panthers general manager Phil Gould's comments from earlier in the week that Jennings' axing was form-related only.
"It's on-field ... absolutely," Cleary said.
"It's got nothing to do with off the field."
Gould issued a statement on Tuesday to deny Jennings' career with the club was in jeopardy following reports of an alcohol-related incident on Anzac Day.
"There's been a couple of things in his game in the past couple of weeks that haven't been up to scratch," Cleary said.
"I'm sure he'll bounce back ... he knows (what to do) ... there's parts of his game that aren't what they need to be."
Aside from playing a starring role in the round-two victory over the Sydney Roosters when he scored a double, Jennings' form has been underwhelming this season.
The Panthers slumped to a fifth-straight loss when they were hammered 44-10 by Melbourne on Saturday night with Jennings benched early in the second half.
Cleary appeared fed up with the centre at the post-match media conference and admitted Jennings, who has battled a shoulder injury, was fit to go back on if required.
Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy admitted the Storm targeted Jennings.
One glaring example of this was in the second half when Storm winger Justin O'Neill ran straight through a flimsy attempted tackle by Jennings to go 95 metres and score one of his three tries.
Following Saturday's match, there was talk Jennings would be sidelined for up to a month with a shoulder injury, first suffered against Newcastle in round eight, but he's trained strongly this week to allay any fears about his fitness.
Demoting Jennings, who is on a reported $600,000 per season, was a tough call to make according to Cleary.
"It's never easy to drop any player ... it's the hardest part of being a coach but sometimes you've got to do it in the best interests of not only the player but the team as well," he said.
Penrith take on St George Illawarra at Centrebet Stadium on Monday night.
Source

So apparently our coach is so bad that he thinks Brad Tighe and Geoff Daniela are in better form then Michael Jennings.... and the only game which remotely backs him up is a game where he was playing injured.

A superstar player in our team has a single bad game and gets punted. Average players in our team play shit each and every week and keep their spots. :crazy: These stupid decisions are the last thing we need when we have so many good players sidelined with injury.

It's almost like Matt Elliott never left... :(

Spitty

Juniors
'Brent Sherwinsism' :

Definition: A disease suffered by footballers, normally a year a two into a rich 5 year contract.

Symptoms: Player's life is settled, his bank balance looks good and he has nothing to worry about in life. He therefor lacks motivation and hunger, resulting in his form suffering considerably.

Origins: Names after former Canterbury half Brent Sherwin who signed a huge 5 year deal. 2 years later he quickly dropped from being a NSW Origin contender to a reserve grade player, then ESL player with struggling club, now park footballer.

Cure: None known. Sufferers tend to see intermittent but short lived surges in form, but soon revert back to the lazy options and poor effort. At this stage there is no football career yet known to have survived 'Brent Sherwinsism'.

I'm no doctor but it all the symptoms Jennings is displaying point toward this.

God help us all.

Spot On

Coach
'Brent Sherwinsism' :

Definition: A disease suffered by footballers, normally a year a two into a rich 5 year contract.

Symptoms: Player's life is settled, his bank balance looks good and he has nothing to worry about in life. He therefor lacks motivation and hunger, resulting in his form suffering considerably.

Origins: Names after former Canterbury half Brent Sherwin who signed a huge 5 year deal. 2 years later he quickly dropped from being a NSW Origin contender to a reserve grade player, then ESL player with struggling club, now park footballer.

Cure: None known. Sufferers tend to see intermittent but short lived surges in form, but soon revert back to the lazy options and poor effort. At this stage there is no football career yet known to have survived 'Brent Sherwinsism'.

I'm no doctor but it all the symptoms Jennings is displaying point toward this.

God help us all.

:clap:

You have hit the nail on the head there Brent!

Fibroman

First Grade
Dropping Jenning punishes the fans, not him.

If he has a sh1t attitude, then the club needs to fine him for indiscretions and recover some of that 550k.

maple_69

Bench
If you read that article again mx and cut out all the filler and just read Cleary's quotes its a somewhat different picture. All he says basically is it was not off field related and Jennings has a few things in his game. I guess this could easily mean attitude problems, lack of application etc.

He's dropped now. We're now even less sure of Cleary and certainly screwed for this weekend.

One thing that has been annoying me. All tyese articles talking about Jennings season and form deteriorating terribly. What the hell? He may have attitude problems that need sorting and he definitely had one poor game against Melbourne, but outside that I've thought he's been solid in defence and very dangerous in attack given the space our halves provide him. I think it really shows these journos often don't actually watch much leaguebut. feed off what others have written.

abpanther

Staff member
Penrith have put Michael Jennings on the market by demoting him, says Fox Sports' Matthew Johns

Penrith have put the for sale sign on Michael Jennings by demoting him to NSW Cup duty with Windsor Wolves, says Fox Sports NRL analyst Matthew Johns.

Speaking on NRL on Fox, Johns believes Jennings paid the price for a poor attitude and added that he is proving to be a player others don't want to play with at the moment.

And he also tellingly said the 24-year-old should not be picked in the NSW State of Origin team for the opener in Melbourne on May 23.

"I think they've got the for sale sign on him," said Johns.

"If you pay a player $600,000 plus, plus third-party deals, then you expect him to look interested. And you expect his attitude to be spot on.

"The Penrith club are right on the breadline financially and I reckon Ivan Cleary and Phil Gould have got together and said: "is this money better spent on someone who wants to be here", because the actions of Michael Jennings suggests he doesn't want to be at the club.

"There is a lot of strength in leadership at Penrith - and I tip my hat to those blokes. They've biten the bullet, and if Michael Jennings wants to play games against Phil Gould and Ivan Cleary then he's going to lose."

Johns also believes NSW State of Origin coach Ricky Stuart needs to seriously question whether having the likes of Jennings and Jarryd Hayne in the side for the series opener is beneficial for team unity.

"You can't pick him (Jennings) for State of Origin. You've got to put a line in the sand. He can't be selected," said Johns.
"We had a saying at the Newcastle Knights that the base requirement is to prove yourself a player others wanted to play with, and at the moment Jennings is not proving that.

"If you are Ricky Stuart, you have to question do blokes want to play alongside Jennings and Hayne in the State of Origin side."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/.../story-fn2mcuj6-1226351440048?from=public_rss

Last edited:

abpanther

Staff member
The real story is coming out now.

He's on close to $700k.

He walked out on training before the Newcastle game, then did it again on Anzac Day.

Obviously his attitude at training is rubbish, I reckon the leadership group got together and wanted him gone.

Big Mick

Referee
Not on anywhere near $700k

We don't have any third party deals.

But the rest of your post Ab is spot on.

Latest posts