What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who is our go to guy???

giboz71

First Grade
It's become pretty clear that the top sides this year have at least one player who when all else fails, can win a game though sheer individual brilliance. A go to guy so to speak. Some teams have a few. Count them off:

Storm: Cronk, Slater and Smith
Manly: DCE, Lyon, the Stewarts
Rabbits: Inglis, Burgess,
Sharks: Carney, Gallen
Bulldogs: Barba, Morris
Warriors: Sean Johnson
Parra: Hayne
Tigers: Marhsall, Farah

the list goes on......

Just wondering who our go to guy would be? This year I would say Nightingale, but its a bit hard to single handedly win a game from the wing. But he's won at least 2 games for us this year.

It's something we've lacked this year...generally when we struggle, we lose coz there isn't one guy who can single handedly win us a game. I think it's why we made a play for Cronk, just to add that x-factor that can be the difference between being a contender or an also ran. I hope there is someone else out there.....

Louiethefly

Juniors
I'm always expecting an amazing effort from dummy-half from Rein once every game, either a linebreak, putting someone into a nice hole or scoring himself. I think as he gets a bit more mature he will be considered a go to guy.

Fire

First Grade
Our club needs a go to guy who doesn't play. Like that dude who died who used to support the Tigers. He always wore a singlet and would lead them down the tunnel shadowboxing. Laurie something was his name. I wanna be that guy for the Dragons. Someone remind me to send Doust an email tomorrow asking if I can be that guy, I'll wear a singlet and everything. I'll get the boys fired up.

hardbaby

Coach
It's a good point you raise. Soward and Morris are the obvious candidates for me. But I think many of us are hoping Cameron King becomes that player. There are a lot of metres to be made from dummy half and you can create good second phase off the back of it. It used to be Creagh but he is heavily marked now days. Most of our younger forwards are workers rather than creators.

giboz71

First Grade
I raise the point because across the board, we are probably better than most teams, but we lack that ‘x factor’. Take a team like the Tigers for instance, you take Benji out of that side, and they’d be dead set struggling to make it out of the bottom 4. But every year they contend because Benji somehow manages to pull games out of the fire. He puts the ball in his hands and somehow wills the team to win. He did it again on the weekend.
We don’t have that type of player… someone the others look to and say “here…win this for us”. Soward is probably our best bet, but he can go missing when we need him most.
As I said, I think that’s why we made a play for Cronk. It’s something the team needs…who that person will be is anyone’s guess??

Mr Red

First Grade
we dont have one.
as good as nightingale is you really cant have a winger as the go to guy...

Jeremy smith used to pull off some match turning plays in 2010 whether it be in attack or defence..
gasnier and boyd last season....

currently i guess in a pinch it would be Soward but clearly not in the same league as a go to guy compared to Marshall, SLater, SMith, Cronk, Inglis, Thurston, Bowen etc etc..

grandorient

Bench
Seems like this has been brought up in past years and I don't really think things have changed that much.

X factor, game breaker, etc are words that come to mind.

To me, Soward could be that man and why he isn't already, I really don't know. Is it simply a self confidence thing; if so a good psychcologist may reap huge rewards.

One thing I have noticed about Sowie, is his huge improvement in defence. If that area of his game can improve to that extent, then why not his attack?

GO

Fire

First Grade
Prior.

Soward already is, he's the one that threw the pass to Kyle.

On King, Hornby and Bennett have both come out and said Bennett had massive plans for King in 2011 (but as we all know he injured himself in WCC). I was always surprised he didn't go up to the Knights.

Latest posts