What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jarryd Hayne - Make him an Eel for Life

Avenger

Immortal
Since he made his debut in 2006, Hayne has more highlights reels than some players have had in a career. I’ve been watching my team since the mid 1970’s and in my opinion he stands as tall as Sterling, Price and Kenny. When he fires, we usually win and he has basically done it on his own unlike players like Slater who has the best hooker that has ever played the game and one mighty halfback to support him. Similar arguments can be made with Brett Stewart and Matt Bowen.

I know that Hopoate is coming in 2014 but if Kearney and co thinks that a player that has had 2 years off can replace Hayne they have rocks in their head. Forget the new recruits, this man should be priority number 1 and be made an Eel for Life. Nothing besides a premiership would make me happier.

Enjoy. My kid has watched this video about 1000 times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOX8Ql53vSo

strider

Post Whore
what he did in '09 is still the most amazing thing I have ever seen in rugby league - and I honestly don't expect to see anything rival it the rest of my life

Avenger

Immortal
what he did in '09 is still the most amazing thing I have ever seen in rugby league - and I honestly don't expect to see anything rival it the rest of my life

I wouldn't swap him for any player in the game. The best player we have had since Jason Smith.

Djay

Juniors
So many people have said what he did in 09 is the greatest 10 or so games from one individual they have ever seen. I haven't seen the old greats like Kenny, Sterlo etc but that was by far and away the most dominating consecutive performances from one person I've seen.

Avenger

Immortal
Amen to that Avenger.
Like your young bloke, i have watched that clip many times myself. Amazing.

Thanks brother, he should just never be allowed to leave until retirement. Make him the highest paid player in the game, the crowds and sponsorship that he brings pays his wages 10 fold.

PS : My son started being a fanatic after that run in 2009.

strider

Post Whore
So many people have said what he did in 09 is the greatest 10 or so games from one individual they have ever seen. I haven't seen the old greats like Kenny, Sterlo etc but that was by far and away the most dominating consecutive performances from one person I've seen.

i've lived through our great 80s - the careers of Lewis, Johns, Lockyer - while hayne hasn't sustained the greatness for as long as those others did, that '09 period was the best of all time in my mind

Avenger

Immortal
I remember in 2009 when we played the Tigers and he did that famous chip and chase to seal the win. I have never been more pumped in my life at a game. During the celebrations a Tigers supporter accused me of spitting on him as I cheered. I'm not one for violence especially when my boy is with me but that incident was the closest I have ever been to decking someone at the footy. I just used other means for him to realise that fighting me was not the best option for him. ;-)

Djay

Juniors
i've lived through our great 80s - the careers of Lewis, Johns, Lockyer - while hayne hasn't sustained the greatness for as long as those others did, that '09 period was the best of all time in my mind

I just hope we get to work now on his future, and not wait until it's too late.

Djay

Juniors
I remember in 2009 when we played the Tigers and he did that famous chip and chase to seal the win. I have never been more pumped in my life at a game. During the celebrations a Tigers supporter accused me of spitting on him as I cheered. I'm not one for violence especially when my boy is with me but that incident was the closest I have ever been to decking someone at the footy. I just used other means for him to realise that fighting me was not the best option for him. ;-)

Yea, well I've been a season ticket holder since 1999. I don't think I've ever celebrated as much as I did during that game there and also when we beat the Dogs in that prelim. That was a very very special couple of months, everyone used to say enjoy this for as long as you can cause it will most likely never happen again.

strider

Post Whore
Yea, well I've been a season ticket holder since 1999. I don't think I've ever celebrated as much as I did during that game there and also when we beat the Dogs in that prelim. That was a very very special couple of months, everyone used to say enjoy this for as long as you can cause it will most likely never happen again.

we didn't win hte GF but 09 is still the most memorable period of supporting the eels in my memory

Suitman

Post Whore
Avenger,

Excellent thread mate, and I can't disagree with anything you've said.

The only comparison I can make as an Eels fan watching since the early 70's is Eric Grothe Snr. He was a freak, and did equally freakish things. Not skill wise, just sheer strength and determination.
Until Hayne came along, Eric G Snr was the most exciting thing I'd ever watched in my life on a footy field. My whole life.
2009 gave me a new life long hero.
I just, honestly and sincerely hope we don't destroy Hayne's career by continuing to be a crap team. We need to be at the top end of the table every year, and if we are, it shouldn't be because of Hayne. It'll be because he is part of a team, and just happens to be a standout.

Like you Avenger, I hope we can add to that highlights reel.

Suity

Avenger

Immortal
Avenger,

Excellent thread mate, and I can't disagree with anything you've said.

The only comparison I can make as an Eels fan watching since the early 70's is Eric Grothe Snr. He was a freak, and did equally freakish things. Not skill wise, just sheer strength and determination.
Until Hayne came along, Eric G Snr was the most exciting thing I'd ever watched in my life on a footy field. My whole life.
2009 gave me a new life long hero.
I just, honestly and sincerely hope we don't destroy Hayne's career by continuing to be a crap team. We need to be at the top end of the table every year, and if we are, it shouldn't be because of Hayne. It'll be because he is part of a team, and just happens to be a standout.

Like you Avenger, I hope we can add to that highlights reel.

Suity

Cheers Suity.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Agree with Avenger

I would have liked him to be signed up already, but certainly we should be looking at doing something right after the Origin series.

I worry that he could leave us , go to Union , AFL, or possibly another NRL side like Roosters (Minichellos last season in 2013)

Maroubra Eel

Coach
My second son was born a few hours after the '09 Bulldogs preliminary final match. That was possibly the best night of my life.

yy_cheng

Coach
if we just look at a short run tim smith 2005 was good.

kenny and sterlo as a team was awesome but they like billy had a whole cast of superstars around him.

i didnt really watch the broncos but langer for qld was extremely good and of course andrew johns

a fullbcks who i thoight was very good was belcher

but hayne is up there with johns as the most gifted

bartman

Immortal
He's definitely had enough highlights to be spoken of alongside Sterling, Kenny, Grothe, Cronin and Price - the greats of my lifetime. And he's only 24 or something with so much potential to come.

Part of what made those guys great was that they were one club players. It's a big ask in the modern game, but I hope Jarryd goes onto achieve a similar feat. I just fear that he hasn't quite "found himself" or reached his full potential, and might be tempted into a cross code switch (or a shift away from Parra if we aren't toward the top of table early next season).

Latest posts