What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grounded or not?

StMick

Bench
I'll start by saying the right team won last night. The roosters were far better than the Dragons who were, yet again pathetic. But was the ball grounded in that crucial try with 10 to go? So instead of the Dragons getting a drop out, the roosters score a try. Now again, as I said, I think the better team won but how scary is it when our top referees don't even know the most basic of rules? Well done Bill Harrigan!

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
I thought theyd refer it, but they didnt.

I think in that situation that there has to be some intent. As usual, the refs make a rod for their own backs by ruling differently in different situations.

We had ample chance to deck Roger regardless.

TheDalek079

Bench
I think when it's your own in goal there has to be intent for it be grounded. my knowledge of the rules around this is limited so i could be mistaken.

nrlnrl

First Grade
I think when it's your own in goal there has to be intent for it be grounded. my knowledge of the rules around this is limited so i could be mistaken.

Correct - the NRL has said the decision was correct because it was "accidental grounding". I'd say it's time to change the rule & eliminate any grey areas. I don't know how far away the Dragons players were last night but I'd guess more than 20m. What happens if the player slips over when players from the opposition are within 10m, but haven't attempted a tackle ? Can anyone shed any light on when it changes from accidental ?

skeepe

Immortal
It's a stupid rule. If he does that down the other end then gets up and tries to improve the position, they'll award the try where he slipped over.

My only problem is thT If he drops it in the first tackle and the Saints pick it up and score, it would have been ruled no try because he grounded it in the in goal. I just hate the inconsistency. Did B Stewart "intentionally" ground the ball in SOO this year when Dave Taylor missed that try by diving over the ball?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Never understand why the game creates problems for itself. Defender touches the ball down in goal, grounded, attacker touches it down try. No need for refs interpretation, just make it black and white so the poor bleeders don't have to make judgement calls!

Never understand why the game creates problems for itself. Defender touches the ball down in goal, grounded, attacker touches it down try. No need for refs interpretation, just make it black and white so the poor bleeders don't have to make judgement calls!

Kick it between the big posts 6.... Wait

No that's wrong

Stagger Lee

Bench

This ^

But having said that the best team won so no real harm done. Well done roosters ....... (f**k that sticks in the throat) :(

aussie7798

First Grade
grounded without doubt

yes the roosters where the better team overall but with only 4 points in it and a attacking set who knows what could have happened

how often have you seen the more dominant team lose a match when they dont put the other side away

refs are farked this year every week at least one dodgy call

grounded without doubt

yes the roosters where the better team overall but with only 4 points in it and a attacking set who knows what could have happened

how often have you seen the more dominant team lose a match when they dont put the other side away

refs are farked this year every week at least one dodgy call

Have to agree on all counts!

Spanner in the works

First Grade
He fell over. He didn't exert any downward pressure on it. The defence had barely even reached the in-goal even after slipping. Why the hell would he ground it when he had the time to get up and go for a run? It makes absolutely no sense.

How many times do we see an opposition team kick from the halfway line or further on the fifth, ending up in the fullback's hands on a cold, damp night, and as he is about to run he falls over and the ball touches the ground? Are we going start having drop outs every time that happens? Because I'll tell you what, if that happens, I'll walk away from what will become the most boring game on earth.

MSIH

Bench
He fell over. He didn't exert any downward pressure on it. The defence had barely even reached the in-goal even after slipping. Why the hell would he ground it when he had the time to get up and go for a run? It makes absolutely no sense.

How many times do we see an opposition team kick from the halfway line or further on the fifth, ending up in the fullback's hands on a cold, damp night, and as he is about to run he falls over and the ball touches the ground? Are we going start having drop outs every time that happens? Because I'll tell you what, if that happens, I'll walk away from what will become the most boring game on earth.

There's a difference between grounding the ball in the in-goal and in general play though.

I personally thought he grounded it, line drop.

MSIH

Bench
It obviously wasn't intentional. You don't need intent to ground it imo, he put pressure on the ball when it was in the in-goal. No-one intends to knock the ball on, maybe they shouldn't be knock-on's anymore? He made a mistake, and grounded the ball. Line drop.

Card Shark

Immortal
Was watching in a pub with no sound.

As soon as that ball hit the ground with him on top of it, I called that's grounded. 102m later they score. Refs need to make the call on the spot but they are scared to sometimes.

What wouldve happened if the ball came loose & the dragons pounced on it - bet it would be grounded by the Roosters then!

aussie7798

First Grade

You obviously missed the point where he basically used the ball to help lever himself up off the ground and the point where the ball hits the ground where he falls over

As for the second point i cant remember a single instance of what you describe happening this year