What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fans first

Tony Bongo

Bench
If you run Tony, I'll vote for you.

So mods, I take it this thread is no longer relevant?

I didn't post this and I don't think the person that did intended on posting it for political gain - well certainly not mine anyway. Thanks to all those who are supportive of my intentions.

#fansfirst

Eels Dude

Coach
I'd certainly vote for you Tony. Those saying a fan shouldn't be in charge of running the club are off the mark, because being on the board doesn't mean you running the club. It's all about having people with different backgrounds having their say and someone like Tony who is passionate and someone who can deliver his views from a fans perspective, and who openly communicates and takes an interest in what the fans concerns and issues are, is an ideal candidate for being a board member.

we need people on the board who are passionate about this team and just want the best for the club i know better than to base my opinion on the media but if shane richardson was actually rejected by the board due to his alleged association with fitzgerald that is amateur hour in the extreme
business decisions need to be made for business reasons not personal bias

we need people on the board who are passionate about this team and just want the best for the club i know better than to base my opinion on the media but if shane richardson was actually rejected by the board due to his alleged association with fitzgerald that is amateur hour in the extreme
business decisions need to be made for business reasons not personal bias
This.

strider

Post Whore
Ahh some logic . We are talking about running the football club here people not who's the biggest fan . Going by the logic of the people claiming that Terry is the man for the job because he's a great fan our board will look like this .

CEO - Tony Bongo

DIRECTOR - Parramatta Jesus

HR Dept - Sparky the Eel

Admin - Vince Sorenti

Public Relations - Pou Pou

bartman

Immortal

I agree with Mickdo, and was about to post the same link. Going on past standards here, any threads involving (potential) candidates addressing elections need to be removed, otherwise this place will just get uglier and more agenda-ridden than it already is over the coming months.

TheRam

Coach
I posted this in another thread, but seeing that this thread is more relevant and that I didn't get a reply in the other one, I'll post it here too. Tony over to you.

I firstly need to qualify that I intend on running for the Football Club Board in December as an independent, not the Leagues Club Board and that my main aim is to have some representation on the board that places the fans as the clubs number one priority.
As far as my work background is concerned I have been self employed for close to 20 years and have been the managing director of my own Pty Ltd Company in structural landscaping for the past 13 years. In that time I have employed hundreds of staff and subcontractors and managed all facets of the business successfully without ever being insolvent, bankrupt or going into liquidation.
On a personal level I live on the Gold Coast and I have a wife I am lucky to have been with for the last 21 years along with three beautiful girls who are all doing extremely well, the eldest of which is now 19 years old.
Apart from business acumen I believe that what more importantly makes me a good candidate is having integrity, accountability, confidentiality and the right set of priorities in that our fans come first.
On top of this I have proven that I am dedicated to our club by going to every home game, spending time on our fan forums, setting up a supporters bay in the Swarm, organising fan forums and spending a lot of time working with those involved in our club etc.
My aim has always been to run according to what I have accomplished rather than what I merely promise.
Hopefully I have done enough to earn the respect of my fellow supporters and if I haven't then I'm not too concerned. So long as I raise awareness that the fans should come first, I have accomplished what I set out to do politically.
Irrespective of this I have already achieved what I set out to do and that is to have the first family friendly supporters bay in the NRL and the first home supporters bay with decent seats in our clubs recent history so I'm happy.
I will either be putting more of my spare time into the club we love post December or spending it surfing so whether you vote for me or not you will be doing me a favour.

Thanks Tony, I like what you have written, they are great achievements and qualities that you speak of. You sound like a decent fellow. I know that it is early days yet, but what plans, direction, systems or initiatives would you be trying to implement if elected?

For example, I really want to see our admin declare and then work tirelessly towards reaching 40 000 paid up members over the next 10 years.

I think by publicly stating this and then really creating initiatives, goals, continual public awareness at every opportunity, drive programs with never ending enthusiasim and so forth would be some of the things that we should be looking at. Also look around the world and study how other succesful sports and or clubs go about signing up fans into paid supporters.

I mean we now have a high profile coach who knows how to use the media and extract publicity for his team and club, we should not let this opportunity be wasted.

We also have potentially the most gifted NRL player in the league playing for us in Hayne, not to mention when Hoppa arrives even more ideal marketing opportunities. Again these sorts of guys and everyone associated with the club, should be living and breathing the Parra mantra of the membership drive dogma.

I really think this club moreso then most others in Sydney can get 40000 members if done the right way and HYPE is a huge factor in all of this. The idea needs to be sold correctly and shown to be fun, cool and our duty to support the club. We need to be made to feel that this IS OUR CLUB and we have a huge part to play in it to make it successful.

Sure we only have a stadium that fits, I think 22000 full capacity, and that is why I say we need to look at ANZ as an alternative in the intermediate to long term. I know that this is not a popular decision with many, but I say stuff the state and fedral govt's, if we don't use what is available we can never, ever grow that pie.

However I think if you were to be elected starting imediately, we should be at the forefront of organising a commitee task force that won't ever be disbanded until it accomplishes its sole purpose of successfully lobbying the two gov'ts for a 40-45000 seat with roof rectangular stadium built on a site no further then 500 metres from a train station in the west.

Now with the new ARLC being in place, the AFL threat, Phil Gould's involvement in the fight for the west and the gov'ts desire for teams to play out of less stadiums, we need to use all of this to our advantage. With the help and resourses of the people on the ARLC and their professionals and lets say contacts, add reps from the Dogs, Tigers and Panthers, this task force should be able to show the logic of building such a stadium that can host so many NRL games even if they all only played 2/3 of them there and the other 1/3 wherever they sore fit depending on the circumstances, i.e. bigger ANZ, or their traditional home grounds for lesser games or interstate. Then there would also be the other codes that would use it giving it further justification.

Sh*t, I didn't realise how much I have gone on. Sorry mate, but I hope you get what I am trying to say? In a nutshell we need to dream big and plan even bigger. F*ck all these nay sayers attitudes that we have in this country and start to think the impossible is POSSIBLE.

Your thoughts and Ideas Tony? Thank you.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't just delete some 5000 posts, I deleted my whole account and left he site for a month because I needed a break from some of the posters over there who have a go at me on a daily basis. If anyone wants to know any of my past views and opinions I have been on this site for three years and there are 1500 posts to look through. I have no doubt some of them will be used against me at some point.
As for Phil and Muttman offering me a job :lol:
That came from a suggestion someone made that I would make a good fan liaison officer. I have been calling for one for some time but I have never spoken to Muttman or Phil about me personally doing it.
If I were to get on the Footy Board I most certainly wouldn't accept any paid position as I see that as a conflict of interest. I don't agree with any form of conflict of interest as far as our board members are concerned.
For the record I am running for the football club board and not the leagues club board.

If you're running for the board Tony I wish you all the best of luck but this will have to be the last post regarding any of your political aspirations on League Unlimited.

We have no problems with members discussing their political views as long as League Unlimited is not used for political gain of those running in any elections.

SDM

First Grade
Tony, have you approached Colin Irrgang to join your ticket. He has a cape.

Tony Bongo

Bench
I posted this in another thread, but seeing that this thread is more relevant and that I didn't get a reply in the other one, I'll post it here too. Tony over to you.

Thanks Tony, I like what you have written, they are great achievements and qualities that you speak of. You sound like a decent fellow. I know that it is early days yet, but what plans, direction, systems or initiatives would you be trying to implement if elected?

For example, I really want to see our admin declare and then work tirelessly towards reaching 40 000 paid up members over the next 10 years.

I think by publicly stating this and then really creating initiatives, goals, continual public awareness at every opportunity, drive programs with never ending enthusiasim and so forth would be some of the things that we should be looking at. Also look around the world and study how other succesful sports and or clubs go about signing up fans into paid supporters.

I mean we now have a high profile coach who knows how to use the media and extract publicity for his team and club, we should not let this opportunity be wasted.

We also have potentially the most gifted NRL player in the league playing for us in Hayne, not to mention when Hoppa arrives even more ideal marketing opportunities. Again these sorts of guys and everyone associated with the club, should be living and breathing the Parra mantra of the membership drive dogma.

I really think this club moreso then most others in Sydney can get 40000 members if done the right way and HYPE is a huge factor in all of this. The idea needs to be sold correctly and shown to be fun, cool and our duty to support the club. We need to be made to feel that this IS OUR CLUB and we have a huge part to play in it to make it successful.

Sure we only have a stadium that fits, I think 22000 full capacity, and that is why I say we need to look at ANZ as an alternative in the intermediate to long term. I know that this is not a popular decision with many, but I say stuff the state and fedral govt's, if we don't use what is available we can never, ever grow that pie.

However I think if you were to be elected starting imediately, we should be at the forefront of organising a commitee task force that won't ever be disbanded until it accomplishes its sole purpose of successfully lobbying the two gov'ts for a 40-45000 seat with roof rectangular stadium built on a site no further then 500 metres from a train station in the west.

Now with the new ARLC being in place, the AFL threat, Phil Gould's involvement in the fight for the west and the gov'ts desire for teams to play out of less stadiums, we need to use all of this to our advantage. With the help and resourses of the people on the ARLC and their professionals and lets say contacts, add reps from the Dogs, Tigers and Panthers, this task force should be able to show the logic of building such a stadium that can host so many NRL games even if they all only played 2/3 of them there and the other 1/3 wherever they sore fit depending on the circumstances, i.e. bigger ANZ, or their traditional home grounds for lesser games or interstate. Then there would also be the other codes that would use it giving it further justification.

Sh*t, I didn't realise how much I have gone on. Sorry mate, but I hope you get what I am trying to say? In a nutshell we need to dream big and plan even bigger. F*ck all these nay sayers attitudes that we have in this country and start to think the impossible is POSSIBLE.

Your thoughts and Ideas Tony? Thank you.

Hi Ram. I did read your post but I have been away at a surf comp at Lennox Head for the weekend and I intended to write a reply when I could give it the time I thought it deserved. I also wanted to reply in a way that respected Twizzles wishes outlined below.

With regards to increasing membership numbers I think the club needs to look carefully at those things that encourage people to become members.
In particular I don't think we tap into the potential that exists for increasing our regional memberships. There needs to be more incentives and benefits for regional fans becoming members.
I think we need more members only events involving the players (including Hayne and Hopoate as you mention) in regional areas for a start. We need more games played in regional areas as well, perhaps with incentives like priority ticketing for regional members similar to how NRL members have priority ticketing for Origin. Another incentive for many of us is having the ability to have a say in how our club is run and the best way to facilitate this IMO is to have proxy voting. The current system works for those who live close to Parramatta but not for the rest of us who have to travel to vote. Another thing of course is improved membership packs. We need to look at what our competitors are providing and at least match the best of them for value for money. Getting feedback from our fans and giving us a chance to have an input in it's makeup is critical in my view.
There are many other initiatives the club could pursue but simply put we need to make it worthwhile for our fans to become members and make them our clubs number one priority. If we do this they will come.
As far as a new stadium or the stadium upgrades etc is concerned we are dealing with an entirely different level of politics. All the same what's crucial at this point is not what decisions our board makes next year post elections but what decisions they make now in regards to the next Parramatta or ANZ Stadium deals and the programming of regional games. Regardless of results at the next elections whoever gets appointed will be stuck with the deals that will be struck in the near future. It's impossible to map out our future regarding this until the new arrangements come to light. Because of the new threat of the A League and having listened to many season ticket holders I believe it's in our best interest to stay at our spiritual home of Parramatta Stadium. I would however like to see the club survey our season ticket holders and gauge their response before making any decision.
A link to on line surveys could be easily be sent out to members on our mailing list for not just this but a whole host of things. Businesses use surveys all the time to make well informed decisions on what their customers want and to gauge public opinion on new ideas. I don't see why our club doesn't do the same.
I hope this has answered your questions without contravening the sites policies around political posting. I have tried carefully to express my opinions without mentioning or promoting any personal aspirations I may have.

If you're running for the board Tony I wish you all the best of luck but this will have to be the last post regarding any of your political aspirations on League Unlimited.

We have no problems with members discussing their political views as long as League Unlimited is not used for political gain of those running in any elections.

Thanks Twizzle.
As you know I didn't post this blog and I didn't have any intention of posting a blog along these lines because I understand the sites position on this. Please let me know if I cross the line at any time.

as i have said ad nauseum about increasing the seating capacity of parramatta stadium you can build a 50 thousand seat stadium if you want but where are people going to park?

In the carpark.

all 50 thousand of them? the carpark would look like this:

T7450090-Flattened_car_bodies-SPL.jpg

Tony Bongo

Bench
as i have said ad nauseum about increasing the seating capacity of parramatta stadium you can build a 50 thousand seat stadium if you want but where are people going to park?

There is no parking at Skilled Park on the Gold Coast. They have parking stations not far from the stadium and heaps of shuttle buses. It works a treat and it doesn't take long to get out of the parking stations and on your way since they are in various surrounding locations. It avoids a concentration of traffic congestion and is far more efficient than having mass parking near the stadium.

mrt_spec

Juniors

Parramatta is second only to the CBD as being the easiest place in Sydney to get to via Public Transport - why would you drive?

oldmancraigy

Coach
Parramatta is second only to the CBD as being the easiest place in Sydney to get to via Public Transport - why would you drive?

I always drive. I tend to walk about 500m from where I park, and it normally takes me about 2 minutes to find a parking spot.

#AndItIsn't@Suity'sHouse