What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penrith's clours?

LJC

Juniors
Missing the point once again.

Even when the Panthers are successfull their apparell sells poorly!

They lack unique and recognisable colours.

And from what I have seen in the thread, the Panthers are doomed for non recognition and poor future marketing for years to come!

Keep it up so called "Panther" fans. Ignore that unique colours make a recognition statement at your club's continuing lack of market recognition peril!
The most non recognised and lowest selling merchandise of any club(in good & bad times) and you cannot take the hint!

Last edited:

Black Majik

Juniors
Geez. Maybe we should be listening to this guy. He obviously has hard and fast facts because he has mates who own sports stores and Penrith merchandise doesn't sell. Thats marketing expertise there.

Whoever you are LJC, you need to front up to Penrith HQ and demand the vacant merchandise position NOW!

Band On The Run

Juniors
Sorry to intrude.

I was thinking of working in the allsorts jersey.

NRL-PEN-1.gif

Replace the light grey with teal and it would look like a perfect kit for Penrith.

Looks classy :thumn

Also the All Blacks before 2011 (adding of white collar) had the best kit in world sport because of the simple design. KISS principle.

maple_69

Bench
I don't personally like it. I think someone else mentioned it looks like a car tyre tracking shit down the street.
Throw us some figures LJC? I'd be generally interested in seeing them outside this discussion.

Anyway I think many, maybe most, fans would agree a change back to the 91 strips would be great. We're mostly disagreeing with you because you're presenting your argument like a child. "Brown and sky blue (god help us all) would be better because my mate has a merch store and you're stupid for not agreeing".

I don't think the change is necessary though.

penrithmob 65

Juniors
Missing the point once again.

They lack unique and recognisable colours.

And from what I have seen in the thread, the Panthers are doomed for non recognition and poor future marketing for years to come!

Keep it up so called "Panther" fans. Ignore that unique
colours make a recognition statement at your club's continuing lack of market recognition peril!
The most non recognised and lowest selling merchandise of any club(in good & bad times) and you cannot take the hint!

Shame on us for not liking your ideas.You are clearly a mastermind in marketing.How can our club and its supporters not want a jersey that you want,
1.What suburb is your mates store
2.just who is it you think will buy your fantasy jersey
3.Panther fans have clearly told you that you are wrong.Isnt that the clear market place for the product
Look forward to more of you wisdom and responces.By the way i am enjoying your input as good debate is always welcome

Panfas

Juniors
This is just an out and out lie.

I worked retail in 2004 when the Panthers were successfull (one could say the last time we were) and the Panthers were by far the biggest selling team in the greater Penrith area (Penrith, Hawkesbury & Blacktown), followed by Parramatta and the Bulldogs. Penrith were so far in front of the others in total sales that it was not even comparable. This was for merchandise and not jersey sales. I cant judge on what it is now as I dont work in retail and havent done so for quite some time

maple_69

Bench
I think the other thing that hasn't been mentioned here is Penrith have a relatively small supporter base. Regardless of what our brand looks like, we have less fans than most other clubs, which I imagine translates into merch sales.

I know jerseys plays somewhat of a part in capturing young fans, but somehow I don't think a brown and blue jersey would be something that would capture the imagination of the next generation.

Another question. Are you on the Warriors and Tigers forums telling them to get rid of their black jerseys because they are not unique? If you were a Dragons fan and Penrith decided to introduce a red and white home strip, would the Dragons be encouraged to ditch their strip?

I'd say Penrith own black more than any other club in the NRL and it is the best colour of all of the colours we've used to attract fans.

Panfas

Juniors
I think the other thing that hasn't been mentioned here is Penrith have a relatively small supporter base. Regardless of what our brand looks like, we have less fans than most other clubs, which I imagine translates into merch sales.

I know jerseys plays somewhat of a part in capturing young fans, but somehow I don't think a brown and blue jersey would be something that would capture the imagination of the next generation.

Another question. Are you on the Warriors and Tigers forums telling them to get rid of their black jerseys because they are not unique? If you were a Dragons fan and Penrith decided to introduce a red and white home strip, would the Dragons be encouraged to ditch their strip?

I'd say Penrith own black more than any other club in the NRL and it is the best colour of all of the colours we've used to attract fans.

Well said :clap:

CrazyTiger

Juniors
Penrith's true colours?

A bunch of grasping backstabbing bastards.

Why don't you do something useful with your miserable club and put 60 on the Broncos.

LJC

Juniors
Still missing the point.
Actually thought the Penrith away strip looked OK the other day. But your club really needs to work on and stick with a recognisable "distinct" main playing strip.
Pick whatever colour you dudes think! I only suggest the brown and the teal blue through historical links with your poorly marketed club. (Actually Im sure Ive seen Penrith players wearing a brown & teal blue collared shirt over recent months?)

Someone metioned sales were great in the Penrith area in 2004. That should happen when any club is winning but I am talking about wider market recognition and sales which somehow has not been discussed by you "Panther" fans with such great vision.

Good luck to you.

Get a recognisable and distinct rugby league looking jumper and you will improve your recognisability over time! At the moment after 40 odd years, I would suggest a club like Cronulla whom have stuck mostly with their colours and style jumper have much more recognition in the wider market than Penrith whom also entered the comp at the same time!

I am trying to point out why has this happened? The consistent thing throughout Penrith's years of existence is multiple jumper colour and style changes. This, whether you believe it or not, does not help your clubs recognition in the market place.

Last edited:

maple_69

Bench
I am trying to point out why has this happened? The consistent thing throughout Penrith's years of existence is multiple jumper colour and style changes. This, whether you believe it or not, does not help your clubs recognition in the market place.

So you're saying. To improve our clubs recognition in the marketplace we change our colour scheme to a completely new one?

I think the club is going to stick with black. I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with the marketability or identification with the colour black. My favourite jersey, the licorice allsorts is a very famous jersey and is primarily black. If anything some tweaks could be made while staying with black.

Anyway were going to have to agree to disagree as we're not getting anywhere.

LJC

Juniors
That's fine.
Glad to get you fellas thinking about it.
It is an issue and I think the Cronulla comparison is an apt one. Both clubs joined at the same time and one club has kept their colours and to a large extent are now keeping their very identifiable strip.
Hope your club does find a rugby league style type jumper and sticks with whatever colours(hopefully unique) and not continually change them.
Thats my advice.
Be recognised or suffer in the market place.

So far its suffering in the market place that prevails!

MaxPower

Juniors
Thank you so much for all your advice, it's very insightful and constructive. I hope the bigwigs at the club take notice.

Doomednow

Bench
Look LJC I don't know why you are getting so upset at us and implying it's our fault (and you are, whether you realise it or not). Yes sales aren't fantastic and yes they change every other year (a bit like the NSW origin side in that regard, always looking for the right combination), but we don't decide what strip they choose. Some of us like the black and whatever but in the end what we think doesn't matter too much.

Give it a rest.