What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tuqiri set to stay on at Tigers

innsaneink

Referee
http://www.nrl.com/tuqiri-set-to-stay-on-at-tigers/tabid/10874/newsid/70207/default.aspx

Lote Tuqiri's desire for a two-year deal appears to be the only sticking point in the dual international extending his stay with Wests Tigers into the 2013 NRL season.
Tuqiri has returned from a family holiday keen to step up talks on a new contract with the Tigers - the 32-year-old winger confident he still has plenty to offer despite his recent injury struggles.
While the Tigers are yet to sort out a coach for 2013 - with Manly assistant Matt Parish still the front-runner to succeed Tim Sheens - Tuqiri's manager Giancarlo Lombardo said he expected the powerful winger to be part of the set-up next season.
"We're making progress with Lote," Lombardo told AAP.
"He's been away for the last week and only got back last night. Hopefully I'll get a chance to speak to him in the next day or two to try and put this matter to rest.
"The club have been great, they've had a lot of adversity the last couple of weeks ... it's taken a little bit longer than we had anticipated.
"One thing I guarantee you is Lote will be playing next year and hopefully beyond that as well.
"He's very confident in his ability that he's got a few years left in him yet."
The Tigers trepidation in offering a two-year deal is understandable given Tuqiri's injury struggles over the past two seasons.
After playing every game in 2010, he managed just nine games in 2011 and 12 matches this year before a broken arm brought a premature end to his campaign.
Coupled with the emergence of young gun Marika Koroibete and the salary cap issues engulfing the club, Tuqiri appeared on the outer.
But Beau Ryan's controversial departure to Cronulla may have opened the door for Tuqiri to stay on with the club, though it is believed they would be far happier with a one-year deal.

Woofknhoo!!
459458d1343768011-conclusive-proof-french-superior-dancing_fool.gif

Last edited:

TYGA

Juniors
We have just signed Utai for another year and Nofaluma there. The article sounds good we may not sign him no chance they offer 2 years.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
This decision should be made by the new coach. Its not as if Tuqiri is a young up and comer fielding huge offers from multiple sources. He is reaching the end of his career, injury prone and capable of taking up a large enough chunk of the salary cap. His value as a mentor to the younger wingers is not absolute. Whether it be 1 year (or god forbid 2 years) it has to be the new coach's call.

With Lote, i think''the minds willing but the body isn't''and as mentioned above, his playing future will be decided by the new coach.

One year is fine if on sensible money - 150K. Definitely not two years unless it's performance/appearance based second year.

No others knocking down the door for a wing spot. Utai needs to become a bench utility for mine and Nofaluma hasn't impressed me as much as others seem to rave about him...

Ned Kelly

Juniors
I hope Lote does sign for at least another year.

Koroibete looks like being a star of the future but for now is young, shy, doesn't speak much English and is living in a different country with a very different culture.You couldnt ask for a better mentor for Koroibete than Lote. That's enough reason for me to want Lote to go at least one more season with the Tigers.

magpie guy

Juniors
One year is fine if on sensible money - 150K. Definitely not two years unless it's performance/appearance based second year.

No others knocking down the door for a wing spot. Utai needs to become a bench utility for mine and Nofaluma hasn't impressed me as much as others seem to rave about him...

I tend to agree. Two years is too much of a commitment for a bloke who is over 30 and has barely played the last 2 seasons due to injury (in Lote's defence they were broken hands/arms which have little to do with fitness or age). He is very marketable and with Beau Ryan leaving we are down a winger so one year with the option would be good for both. As stated he would bring experience and be a good mentor.

BrotherJim05

Bench
If he is in the team they better not pay him more than $100k. If they are going to only sign UTai for one year (which i think is a good decision) then they should NOt be signing Tiquiri for another year. Yes we did lose alot of marketability witH Beau Ryan but Benji Marshall is arguably the most marketable player in the NRL....we don't NEED Tiquiri.
What I'm worried about is that everyone will say "just let him play untill he gets injured". He will carry his injuries for at least 2-3 games then he will finally throw in the towel. During these games he will cost us dearly. Why don't they put him in the NSW Cup? I don't care if he used to play Origin and for Australia...prove yourself in the NSW Cup then you can play FG again

I like Lote, but he was terrible for us this year,and he can count himself lucky if he even gets a new 1 year contract.

innsaneink

Referee

Koroibete looks like being a star of the future but for now is young, shy, doesn't speak much English and is living in a different country with a very different culture.You couldnt ask for a better mentor for Koroibete than Lote. That's enough reason for me to want Lote to go at least one more season with the Tigers.
So we need a bloke taking a spot in the squad, taking up cap space to hold a rookies hand?
Surely someone else could do this?
Lote could do it without playing

We already have senior experienced players to guide the rookies.

CrazyTiger

Juniors

Well said Ned.

Perhaps Lote was retained with a long term role in mind, look after the Fijian recruitments?

From the Fiji Times today,
http://www.fijitimes.com/story.aspx?id=214840

ANOTHER four secondary school players will join the West Tigers rugby league club at the end of this year.

Sila Central High School Under-18 utility back Nemia Cavuilati, Nasinu Secondary School's lock forward Peniasi Uluvula and Queen Victoria School duo, Ratu Emori Tuisese and Mateo will be joining the NRL club during its off-season next month.

And Nasinu Secondary School rugby league winger Sakeo Raloa has put penned a three-year contract with NRL club Penrith Panthers.

Raloa might follow the footsteps of his former teammate Marika Koroibete who now has proven his worth for the Tigers.

And according to assessment done by their coaches at Nasinu, Raloa is a better player of the two.

Fiji National Rugby League development officer Joe Rabele says Raloa could impress for the Panthers in the Toyota Cup competition.

"Yes, Raloa has signed a three-year contract with the Panthers. He will start from the Toyota Cup just like Koroibete. They played together in Nasinu and I believe Sakeo has what it takes to be another star of the code in the future," Rabele said.

"According to their teachers in Nasinu, Sakeo is the better player compared to Marika. I believe that Sakeo will have a bright future with the Panthers.

"He is a good player with alot of skills and we have been training him every week here at our gym."

Meanwhile, Cavuilati, Uluvula, Tuisese and Mateo were awarded scholarships where they could also extend their studies while training with the Tigers.

Rabele added the four would leave the country at the end of the year.

He said they had a few more secondary school players in line to broaden their rugby league knowledge overseas. Rabele said next year would be another year of recruitment for overseas scouts.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Lote deal "pretty close"...

I suspect that Lote might be taking a massive haircut in 2013...

Wests Tigers are waiting for the NRL to announce this season's salary cap before extending Lote Tuqiri's contract at the club.
The dual international has agreed to a one-year deal with the Tigers but is awaiting confirmation from the NRL on the cap, which is expected to be close to $5.8 million, before finalising the deal.
Tuqiri has trained all off-season in anticipation of an official announcement from the NRL, and will sign the moment it's confirmed. He is still eligible to play in the Tigers' trial matches but has until round one to finalise the deal.
Tigers recruitment manager Warren McDonnell said it was just a waiting game. ''It's pretty close,'' McDonnell said. ''It's not sorted yet, but it will be. He hasn't signed anything as yet but we've agreed to a one-year extension. No one knows what the final salary cap is going to be and every club is in the same boat with players in a similar position. We need to know what we're working with before anything is finalised. It's the NRL that's holding it up.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...tuqiri-deal-20130128-2dh0i.html#ixzz2JKx3L4tI

Matchball

Bench
He should call it a day. He is holding a youngster up and will waste a year being mediocre.
Give him a job assistant coaching or something.

moller

Juniors
6 weeks or so out from the start of the season and the salary cap still hasn't been worked out.
Absurd stuff.

Latest posts