What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Commission to outlaw 'shoulder charge'

Should the Shoulder Charge be banned?

• Total voters

Springs

First Grade
Well magpie4ever when I was playing U18s they had recently outlawed shoulder charges for junior grades. My teammate ran to make a tackle and hit a player with his arm across the chest, the player bounced off hit the ground and it was a penalty for a 'shoulder charge'. Now how many penalties will we see given because the ref couldn't see if the impact was with chest, arm or shoulder? Add to that how many might not be given because they ruled impact off the arm or chest.

Point of impact can cause the ball carrier to bounce away before the arms are wrapped around. I've been on the end of several.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Well magpie4ever when I was playing U18s they had recently outlawed shoulder charges for junior grades. My teammate ran to make a tackle and hit a player with his arm across the chest, the player bounced off hit the ground and it was a penalty for a 'shoulder charge'. Now how many penalties will we see given because the ref couldn't see if the impact was with chest, arm or shoulder? Add to that how many might not be given because they ruled impact off the arm or chest.

Point of impact can cause the ball carrier to bounce away before the arms are wrapped around. I've been on the end of several.

Obviously, should not have been penalised but refs are only human and will make mistakes. He might have penalised your team mate for a stiff arm tackle - that has been outlawed since Jesus was a boy. They will get 99% right. As long as the arms are in play in making a tackle there will be no issues.

If they wanted to man up this game they should try to make scrums competitive.

Last edited:

Tone83

Juniors
Typical of the nrl to make baffling bone headed decisions that make it seem like they're trying to ruin the game. Banning shoulder charges is both laughably shockingly idiotic and also unsurprising. That says something about the administration of this great game.

Personally I thought inglis' hit on dean young should have simply been big hit of year, end of story. Any injury suffered by young should have merely been a source of mirth, an addition to remember when re-telling the story of the hit purely to fully understand how good it was.

Evil Homer

Staff member
This is pathetic, hopefully the rest of the RL world tells Australia where to stick it when they try to have the international rules amended.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Would a protest to reinstate the shoulder charge be bigger than the protest to reinstate the Rabbitohs? I can't think of a more common cause uniting fans together to tell the Commission how we really feel.
FFS it won't be the fans paying the legal bills a decade from now. So the fans opinion doesn't count. That's why we have a commission to decide on important things. Because to put simply, they know better. Otherwise we might as well just govern the game by popular vote from the general public.

Noa

First Grade
I want to see soft merkins cartered off the field on medi cabs.

Anyway the hundred of stupid penalties we see for perfectly good tackles will see sanity prevail.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Typical of the nrl to make baffling bone headed decisions that make it seem like they're trying to ruin the game. Banning shoulder charges is both laughably shockingly idiotic and also unsurprising. That says something about the administration of this great game.

Personally I thought inglis' hit on dean young should have simply been big hit of year, end of story. Any injury suffered by young should have merely been a source of mirth, an addition to remember when re-telling the story of the hit purely to fully understand how good it was.

The good old rednecks - they're everywhere, as long as they are not the dean young's.

Noa

First Grade
Stiffer penalties and fines for hits that go wrong is all that is needed.

Springs

First Grade
Obviously, should not have been penalised but refs are only human and will make mistakes. He might have penalised your team mate for a stiff arm tackle - that has been outlawed since Jesus was a boy. They will get 99% right. As long as the arms are in play in making a tackle there will be no issues.

If they wanted to man up this game they should try to make scrums competitive.

Oh yes because 12 men pushing against each other's necks is less dangerous than a shoulder charge. :roll:

They make mistakes with the shoulder charge rule all the time out here, and considering he said 'shoulder charge' when he gave the penalty I somehow doubt it was for a stiff arm tackle.

Bunniesidiot shut the f**k up for once. Any legal bills we would have had from players stupid enough to sue for shoulder charges we will still have because normal f**king tackles are dangerous and carry a high risk of injury.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Stiffer penalties and fines for hits that go wrong is all that is needed.
There's no such things as a shoulder charge gone "right". They're all "wrong". Numerous medical experts have said so. Medical experts who know far more on the issue than you or I or anyone else here.

Campion

Juniors
There's no such things as a shoulder charge gone "right". They're all "wrong". Numerous medical experts have said so. Medical experts who know far more on the issue than you or I or anyone else here.

Medical experts will also tell you that larger men increase the chance of injury, faster men increase chance of injury. Tackles are dangerous. Playing league is dangerous. Numerous medical experts have said so.

But f**k it that is the joy of watching/playing the game. The line of 'acceptable risk' is subjective, but you are making out like it is set in stone.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Oh yes because 12 men pushing against each other's necks is less dangerous than a shoulder charge. :roll:

They make mistakes with the shoulder charge rule all the time out here, and considering he said 'shoulder charge' when he gave the penalty I somehow doubt it was for a stiff arm tackle.

Bunniesidiot shut the f**k up for once. Any legal bills we would have had from players stupid enough to sue for shoulder charges we will still have because normal f**king tackles are dangerous and carry a high risk of injury.

Mate, if he got it wrong he got it wrong, big deal.

I'll would rather have 12 men pushing in a scrum trying to win possessing of the ball (part of the fabric of the game for around 90 years)then 12 men acting out a madri gra huddle - unless you have a bias that way.

The legal cases will be for brain damage; and medical science shows shoulder charges cause significantly higher subconcussions (bouncing of the brain off the skull ) then the normal tackle. Excuse the pun - it is a no brainer; take action or face future legal action. It is not about toughness or being hard; its above saving players from the onset of brain damage in their later years and possible legal cases - look at the NFL.

Usain Bolt

Bench
Lol fans and players don't get a say when it comes to safety unless you believe they know more than doctors?

Just like the NFL, fans and players whined about the officials clamping down on helmet to helmet hits, hits to the head and hits on defenseless receivers. Most people just accepted it after a few weeks which is what I'm guessing will happen with the NRL. All these people complaining will still tune in come round 1. People aren't gonna be saying oh my team lost because he couldn't shoulder charge and they scored

fourplay

Juniors
So shoulder charges are now banned in state of origin too?

No more SBW's on Clinton style hits?

This is just a turn off for viewers. Big hits were one of the few interesting things in watching a team defend.

sheepbender

Juniors
Im sure someone has already said it, but Im not going through pages & pages to find out..

First I totally disagree with the banning of the Shoulder charge, but when the rules are defined, they must differentiate between shoulder on shoulder hits, and shoulder hits that slip up to the head.

If shoulder charges are outright banned, then this is a dark day for our sport. But if shoulder on shoulder is still ok, Im ok with the ruling.

magpie4ever

First Grade
How many ex League players suffer from brain damage.

Probably more then you realise; only no-one at this stage has taken legal action -although a NZ ex union player is considering it. When medical science states this form of tackling (shoulder charge) has a significantly higher risk of causing future brain damage then the normal tackle - the ARLC had no other option.

It is not about the wannabes in the stands getting woodies over a shoulder charge flatten an opponent, it about player safety (and their health in later life).

Really the game is about scoring more points then your opponents, not how many more hard hits your team does then the opponents - that is for the wankers to do what they do best.

Can't believe I'm on BM's side.:lol:

Last edited:

magpie4ever

First Grade
Im sure someone has already said it, but Im not going through pages & pages to find out..

First I totally disagree with the banning of the Shoulder charge, but when the rules are defined, they must differentiate between shoulder on shoulder hits, and shoulder hits that slip up to the head.

If shoulder charges are outright banned, then this is a dark day for our sport. But if shoulder on shoulder is still ok, Im ok with the ruling.

Wannabe, I rest my case.

Latest posts