What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Glenn James Maxwell - THE BIG SHOW...

JW

Coach
MaxDerp personifies the state of Australian Cricket where production line hit 'n giggle ''talents'' are being handed Baggy Greens like they mean SFA.

No footwork as a batsman for the longer forms, can't bowl an off-break to save himself, yet selectors have clearly locked him in to national setup indefinitely.

It's f**ked.

Meth

Staff member
Who would be your top 5 ODI?

Warner
Hughes
Clarke
Bailey
Hussey

Doesn't seem to me like Maxwell is that far off the pace. The standard of Australian cricket just isn't as high as it used to be. I'm not having a go, because NZ cricket is a mess.

Last edited:

Hallatia

Referee
Gerry's already talking about his test career
Maxwell will be 'more reserved' in Test cricket
Brydon Coverdale
February 2, 2013

Glenn Maxwell might be the very model of the modern cricketer, raised on Twenty20 and thriving on the short format's fast pace, but he insists he has the patience to make it as a Test cricketer as well. On Thursday, Maxwell was named as the main spinning allrounder in Australia's Test squad to tour India, meaning he is likely to earn a baggy green on the trip, and the following day he crunched an unbeaten 51 from 35 balls in Australia's one-day annihilation of West Indies.

Promoted to open the batting Maxwell scored nearly three-quarters of Australia's runs in their tiny chase of 71, racing to the target within the first ten overs. Maxwell's brisk scoring is nothing new to those who have watched him at domestic level over the past few seasons, but he has also managed to average 42 at first-class level and believes his technique can stand up to the challenges of the five-day game.

"I feel like I'm definitely a genuine batsman," Maxwell said in Perth ahead of Sunday's second ODI. "I've done a lot of work on my technique over the last few years. [Victoria coach] Greg Shipperd has been a big believer in my technique and I feel that's shone through in Shield cricket.

"I've played some good Shield innings where I've played technically really good cricket. I'm hoping I can showcase that when the opportunity arises, but yesterday wasn't really the time to do it. I'm sure if I get the chance to play Test cricket I'll probably be a bit more reserved."

Maxwell has spent some time in India in the past, visiting the country in 2010 for a training camp as part of the Centre of Excellence intake, and enjoying a short stint with the Delhi Daredevils in last year's IPL. He said his plan, if he was given the opportunity in Test cricket on the upcoming tour, would be straightforward.

"I've thought about how I'm going to be playing spinners over there," he said. "I've been lucky enough to play over there a little bit, I had the Academy a couple of years ago and had the IPL experience last year. I know my game plan over there is going to be pretty simple, using my feet against the spinners and hopefully that will hold me in good stead."

Although Maxwell is considered a batting allrounder, his offspin has developed over the past few months and the selectors would expect significant overs from him if he was slotting into the Test outfit. Maxwell said he had worked with Shane Warne this summer on the mental side of spin bowling, as well as Ray Bright and Shawn Flegler, and he was confident that the sharp turn expected on the Indian pitches would allow him greater margin for error.

"With the wickets and the way they spin, you can bowl a lot faster over there and really use your pace variations to your advantage," Maxwell said. "In Australia you've got to be a lot more accurate, a lot more consistent in a certain area, where India allows you a lot more margin for error just because of the way it spins."
Sauce

TheParraboy

Staff member
Who would be your top 5 ODI?Warner
Hughes
Clarke
Bailey
Hussey

Doesn't seem to me like Maxwell is that far off the pace. The standard of Australian cricket just isn't as high as it used to be. I'm not having a go, because NZ cricket is a mess.

Watson
Warner
Hughes
Clarke
Ferguson

undertaker

Coach
f**k this useless merkin.

If he or Steve Shit play a test I give up.

If either Maxwell, Shit, Doherty or Henriques is named in the starting XI in next summer's Ashes series fixture at the SCG, I am definitely not going to be forking out $150+ for a day at the cricket. There's no way that CA think they can justify charging exorbitant prices (even if it is the Ashes) if the best XI we have in Australia (factoring in injuries) isn't being selected

hineyrulz

Post Whore
He sounds like a massive wanker, nothing wrong with backing yourself but he comes across as a massive douche.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
its OK to talk the talk but you have to be able to walk the walk

The story I heard via one of the other players is that when he first came into one of the Australian squads he was with all the other players and said that it was a good thing he had been picked because he was going to be the x-factor in the side. Apparently one senior player just walked out shaking his head and called him a wanker.

JasonE

Bench
James Brayshaw and Slater need to stop coming in their pants because this bloke played a few decent shots under no pressure at all last friday.

Dutchy

Immortal
The story I heard via one of the other players is that when he first came into one of the Australian squads he was with all the other players and said that it was a good thing he had been picked because he was going to be the x-factor in the side. Apparently one senior player just walked out shaking his head and called him a wanker.

Probably Siddle the magnificent.

Can Glenn Maxwell make the step up to Test cricket?
By TheOpening1stDrop, 14 hours ago Have your say

First and foremost, let me congratulate Glenn James Maxwell on his ruthless 51 not out against the West Indies during the first ODI.

It was an all out attack of the bat which had shades of Afridi, Symonds and Gilchrist all rolled into one.

But that’s where the comparisons stop. You see it’s a known thing in sport that if you’re given enough opportunities, eventually you’ll come good.

Albeit one in ten times, and that’s exactly what Friday’s innings was for Maxwell. That one in ten.

One could argue Glenn Maxwell has had an unbelievable ride into the Australian one-day side without properly earning his position through the vigorousness of applying technique with consistency in the Sheffield Shield or even the Ryobi Cup.

He is a player who has built his reputation and moulded his ability via T20 cricket, much in the same manner to how David Warner first burst onto the scene.

But again that’s where the comparison stop.

For you see, Glenn Maxwell is what some punters and fans can call John Inverity’s golden child.

Each generation has one and while most of the time the golden child doesn’t live up to expectations after being handed chance after chance, opportunity after opportunity to go from potential to consistency, sometimes they do.

The verdict is still out on young Maxwell but if it could be given at this exact moment, he would be failing to live up to it.

Among fans, readers, home selectors and spectators alike, Glenn Maxwell is being heavily scrutinized for his constant selections in the start XI and tour of India squad. Might I add this is with good reason too.

His current form makes out for interesting dissection. During his eight-game ODI career he has amassed 197 runs at an average of 32.83.

Not too bad but by no means is it any reason to hail him the second coming of Sir Donald Bradman, like commentator James Brayshaw will lead you to believe every time Maxwell steps out to bat.

However it’s his bowling figures that truly paint the complete picture as he has returned figures of 0/171 without an average as obviously there are no wickets to formulate one.

Judging by these figures Glenn Maxwell is as much of an all-rounder as David Warner is.

Yet he has been selected for the upcoming tour of India as one, and this is where the problem truly lies.

Maxwell’s bowling will be tested against a nation of cricketers bred playing spin bowling and his batting will be tested against pitches where footwork and technique are an absolute must.

Some of the best batsmen Australia has produced have toured India and come back home empty and demoralized.

It’s a place where everything must be fine tuned in order to win, where ironically the smash and bash, swing the bat like a rusty gate will win you fans – in the IPL that is.

Test cricket is a whole other beast completely, it is a battle of patience and will. Where a cricketer’s temperament must be clam, his skills fine-tuned and his trust in his ability to get through bogged down part of an innings high.

The big question is, does Glenn Maxwell have these attributes? If Australia find themselves 4/40 down, does Glenn Maxwell have the ability to play a long innings to win or save a test match?

I don’t believe he does and that’s ok because it’s not his natural game but at the same token if it’s not his natural game then he shouldn’t be anywhere near the Test squad let alone the Test side,

Most fans will undoubtably be put off if a batsmen who has earned his place through consistency like an Usman Khawaja gets left out of a side to accommodate an all rounder who really isn’t so much as an actual all rounder.

So does Glenn Maxwell really have all the toys? I don’t believe he does and am left wondering when the National Selection Panel will see that too.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2013/02/03/can-glenn-maxwell-make-the-step-up-to-test-cricket/#comments

Lol. Did you write this AlwaysGreen? Spot on assessment nether the less.