What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Season 2013

joondalup_giant

Staff member
Thought I'd set up a thread to discuss the comings and goings on in the WARL comp for 2013.

The competition this year is looking like it it has been extended from 14 rounds to 18, plus the preseason 7s tournament.

The fade out of the Goldfields Titans in 2012 will see the SouthWest Warriors (Bunbury) step up in there place.

On the player front the state sides depth of talent will be tested big time this year with atleast 5 of the current state players headed over east for new challenges. Josh Benjamen, Arlin Paki (central QLD capras), Delane Edwards (Mackay Cutters), Fred Pakatoa (NSW Cup), Eddie Proudler (Newcastle Knights NYC).

Nuke

Staff member
Last I heard, the Goldfields aren't definitely out, and the SW Warriors aren't definitely in First-Grade in 2013 ... but it is highly likely this is the case.

Season is indeed 18 rounds with no byes. The only weekend off is for ANZAC Day. This, I think, will test the depth of some clubs when injuries hit. I'm not sure it's the best idea, but it has been a long time since WA's seen a season longer than 14 rounds. I remember back when I started playing seniors that the season was 21 weeks long (if I recall correctly).

joondalup_giant

Staff member
Yea will be a tough slog but 18 rounds seems to bring the comp into line with others around the country.

Goldthorpe

Bench
The competition this year is looking like it it has been extended from 14 rounds to 18, plus the preseason 7s tournament.
I wonder how that's going to work then?

Surely the will divide them in to groups
South Perth, North Beach, Fremantle and Rockingham
Kalamunda, Joondalup, Willagee and South West.

Each group play each other 3 times? And you play the other group twice?

Any other news around the comp? Andrew Korn to coach Fremantle, Jamie Papa to coach Rockingham any other coaching changes?

joondalup_giant

Staff member
Apparently Ken Allen winner Samson Graham has signed with Willagee?? But who knows they always seem to recruit the big guns this time of year !

Dragonwest

Juniors
I definitely wasn't clapping watching the reserve grade gf. I guess they hadn't won anything since the 60's and were desperate.

joondalup_giant

Staff member
Latest news is that Southwest will remain in reserve grade for 2013, with a stragteic plan From the WARL in place to see them enter the first grade comp in 2014 (hopefully!) So the First grade comp will be reduced to 7 Teams playing 21 rounds, a massive jump from 14 in previous seasons.

Willagee beat joondalup 62-18
North beach beat rockingham 40-16
Fremantle beat kalamunda 60-18

After one round. Willagee sits at the top of the table.

Roland

Juniors
On the player front the state sides depth of talent will be tested big time this year with atleast 5 of the current state players headed over east for new challenges. Josh Benjamen, Arlin Paki (central QLD capras), Delane Edwards (Mackay Cutters), Fred Pakatoa (NSW Cup), Eddie Proudler (Newcastle Knights NYC).

Did Fred Pakatoa play in WA last year. He has joined Mounties who have a joint venture with Canberra in the NSW Cup but also run standalone sides in the Bundy Cup and Sydney Shield. They are the richest club in Australia and after missing the finals in all 3 grades last year they have recruited just about everyone.

so Fred isnt in the NSW Cup side at this stage, he played Sydney Shield yesterday. Shane Shackleton racked up 91 games in the NRL but he is currently in the Mounties Bundy side.

Latest posts