What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team V panthers trial

forward pass

Coach
Why do people read so much into trials, I couldn't care if we got beat by 100. For me a trial is a win if you survive without injuries. If I was a first grade player there is no way I go into a trial and play my heart out, if I was a coach I wouldn't be pushing the players to much either.

yeah I agree. The last two seasons we have hardly won a trial game and look how our seasons turned out after all.......

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
So last year Kearney took pretty much the same squad to the wooden spoon thus he was a crap coach. Yet Stuart has the same squad and the expectations from some are we are doomed for the year - so if we are towards the bottom again does this mean Stuart can't coach either just like Kearney ?

Btw I reckon we will surprise this year and perform better the some expect.

So last year Kearney took pretty much the same squad to the wooden spoon thus he was a crap coach. Yet Stuart has the same squad and the expectations from some are we are doomed for the year - so if we are towards the bottom again does this mean Stuart can't coach either just like Kearney ?

You've convinced me. Top 4 here we come!!

Maroubra Eel

Coach

Kearney assembled this rabble. Stuart has to do the best he can with it.

DeanPay98

Juniors
I don't get the criticisms of Ken Sio. He's a capable winger and still a rookie. For mine I think that Matt Ryan, Paulo and Ben Smith need to be moved on. I don't think Ryan will make the grade and Smith's best years have probably gone. If Harrison doesn't step up and none of the Eels juniors do then we need to look elsewhere for 2014. Paulo is a poor man's Mateo and if we can afford the latter we should buy him back.

This squad isn't that bad, add three or four gun players and its a top 4 side. Its the combination of players that makes the team. Remember what Tahu, Morison, Riddell, Stringer, Marsh and Robinson along with Tim Smith added to the Eels team that got walloped in 2004.

Mr Pmatta

Juniors
Gee there are some harsh markers here. I am usually the one accused of being a nark or negative thinker but I see far more potential in this side than some of you.

Not the biggest Sio fan but he was everyone's glory boy this time last year.
Paulo provided all our attack in the final part of the season and people want him gone?
Blair and Morgan have a real opportunity this year to build on last year.
We all want Loko to have a huge year, take the centre spot and make us all think Israel who?
There are a few more that I think are better than they have been rating in here.

Like Paulo must b retained!!!

I don't get the criticisms of Ken Sio. He's a capable winger and still a rookie. For mine I think that Matt Ryan, Paulo and Ben Smith need to be moved on. I don't think Ryan will make the grade and Smith's best years have probably gone. If Harrison doesn't step up and none of the Eels juniors do then we need to look elsewhere for 2014. Paulo is a poor man's Mateo and if we can afford the latter we should buy him back.

This squad isn't that bad, add three or four gun players and its a top 4 side. Its the combination of players that makes the team. Remember what Tahu, Morison, Riddell, Stringer, Marsh and Robinson along with Tim Smith added to the Eels team that got walloped in 2004.

Exactly. Add Cam Smith, Matt Scott, Paul Gallen and GI to our team and we'd be playing finals footy. Just think, all this time we've been looking at mediocre players when we should hiring all top shelf guns. The coaching staff should be ashamed for missing this easy option for success :crazy:

oldmancraigy

Coach

It didn't look like they were trying very hard on the paddock every game; they were very poorly drilled on the defensive side of things; and they didn't seem to have an attacking game plan to stick to.

Those were the tell-tale clues that SK was a crap coach.

I've said from the start that I don't rate Ricky as a coach, but I'm sure he'll do a better job in attack and defence and effort.
Having said that, we've been left with a mess and a lot of guys who aren't first grade standard were given first grade money. Ricky will most likely have them playing better, and being competitive in more than a handful of games. I expect us to be able to avoid the spoon - perhaps aiming as high as 13th?

I suppose it depends how many games Hayne plays: we're 20 points better in attack and defence with him in the team.

DeanPay98

Juniors
Exactly. Add Cam Smith, Matt Scott, Paul Gallen and GI to our team and we'd be playing finals footy. Just think, all this time we've been looking at mediocre players when we should hiring all top shelf guns. The coaching staff should be ashamed for missing this easy option for success :crazy:

I'm just saying that the hysteria isn't warranted. If you add a couple of gun players to this squad they'll bring out the best football in your existing roster. There's little point in bolding the names of 16 out of the top 17 players and saying that they need to go for next year. Thats adolescent stuff.

DeanPay98

Juniors
When I read that I took it for what it was - Just someone taking the piss.

Though in humour often lies truth. What people say in jest often reveals their actual attitudes. And I think a few people just don't think that the vast majority of our squad is good enough. I think the squad can be pretty good with the right additions to bring out the best in a few players.

oldmancraigy

Coach
When I read that I took it for what it was - Just someone taking the piss.

So you don't take anything I say seriously?

Well I think you're a joke too.

That was said in jest of course - BUT does it reveal the secret truth :sarcasm:

I think to be fair DeanPay98 has outed most of us on this forum. We're just small pathetic individuals who don't give last years wooden spooners anywhere near the credit they deserve as professional athletes. I apologise to the Eels top 17 and will never again speak in jest.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
indispensables:

hayne
sandow
mannah
lussick
paulo

add hopoate, possibly norman and papalii for 2014 + improvements over ommitted players and i start to see a really strong nucleus