What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels sign Josh Papalii for 2014

EelsFan05

Bench
Do we have the option of pulling out of the contact on our end? If so, do it and stop him using us as leverage to get a better deal out of the Raiders.

Gronk

Staff member
I'd like to see a quote from the Agent or the player thanks.

In the meantime our CEO would be well aware of the risks of signing a player prior to Round 13.

emjaycee

Coach
Open letter to Josh Papalii:

Dear Josh,

As a Parra Eels supporter, let me start by saying we were all pleased to hear that you had agreed to join us in 2014 for 3 years. You are an exciting young player and exactly the type of on field player we are looking for as we build the Eels into a powerful NRL force.

However we also require our players to be of a high moral calibre and to be men of their word. therefore, we would love to hear directly from you that you did in fact sign a contract with the Eels that you fully intended at the time to honour.

If you have since had a change of mind, that too is ok. However it would be great to hear this from you directly and not via representatives of the Raiders who clearly have a conflict of interest in this issue.

If you have indeed changed your mind, good luck for your future and please remember, a true man is only as good as his word AND his actions.

Regards,
Para Eels Fans.

Raider_69

Post Whore
I disagree

we dont know what he is thinking because they have gagged him and even worse, they are now speaking for him

We know he's not itching to leave canberra, because why would the Raiders bother wasting their time trying to come up with 3rd party deals for a bloke unless they were adamant we are still a chance to keep him.

Open your eyes twizzle, Sargent Schultz "I see nothing!" routine isnt fooling anyone.

mickdo

Coach
Open letter to Josh Papalii:

Dear Josh,

As a Parra Eels supporter, let me start by saying we were all pleased to hear that you had agreed to join us in 2014 for 3 years. You are an exciting young player and exactly the type of on field player we are looking for as we build the Eels into a powerful NRL force.

However we also require our players to be of a high moral calibre and to be men of their word. therefore, we would love to hear directly from you that you did in fact sign a contract with the Eels that you fully intended at the time to honour.

If you have since had a change of mind, that too is ok. However it would be great to hear this from you directly and not via representatives of the Raiders who clearly have a conflict of interest in this issue.

If you have indeed changed your mind, good luck for your future and please remember, a true man is only as good as his word AND his actions.

Regards,
Para Eels Fans.

I'd rather he says nothing tbh. His club has put a media ban on him, and he should stick by that. All he has to do now is honour his contract and see us in 2014.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
Do we have the option of pulling out of the contact on our end? If so, do it and stop him using us as leverage to get a better deal out of the Raiders.

this is the bit i'm unsure about, apparently the raiders (ironically) tried to force the nrl to protect the clubs after the nathan smith incident but this was knocked on the head.

there is a legal mindfield just waiting to happen imo

emjaycee

Coach
I'd rather he says nothing tbh. His club has put a media ban on him, and he should stick by that. All he has to do now is honour his contract and see us in 2014.

If he had the balls i would rather he defy the media ban and say, yep comin to Parra in Nov for pre-season training and can't wait. Cop a fine and be a man..

mickdo

Coach
If he had the balls i would rather he defy the media ban and say, yep comin to Parra in Nov for pre-season training and can't wait. Cop a fine and be a man..

Not a good example to set for when he'd be wearing the blue & gold. Play it by the book thanks Josh.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
We know he's not itching to leave canberra, because why would the Raiders bother wasting their time trying to come up with 3rd party deals for a bloke unless they were adamant we are still a chance to keep him.

Open your eyes twizzle, Sargent Schultz "I see nothing!" routine isnt fooling anyone.

you know nothing, neither do I

you're hearing what the Radiers and their media releases want you to hear

if he wanted to stay, why aren't they giving him the front page of the Canbra times and preaching it to the world ?

they have gagged him for a reason

why didnt the raiders come up with these 3rd party deals in a counteroffer to match the eels contract before he signed?

El Diablo

Post Whore

you don't know shit because they won't let him speak for himself

Insiders and Furner are the ones doing the talking

me thinks the raiders are embaressed that thier pants were pulled down and now are scrambling, what ever happens there onw be one winner in all this, papalli's manager.

carson

Juniors
don't the raiders have to at least match our contract but can't use 3rd party deal to do so?
That was how i understood the rules, so maybe our club really are in the box seat and that why we signed him so early.

You also have to wonder if Ian Schubert would register a contract for a lesser amount. After the precedent he set with Folou and Stewart, the Eels would have every right to scream the house down. If schubert has a contract for Josh saying he is worth $500,000 per season, then allowing a Canberra contract to be registered for less than that a season is clearly not allowed as it is an under valued contract!!!

Ratchy

Juniors
The only rubbish being talked is by Parra fans with heads in the sands, saying the idea that the bloke is having 2nd thoughts is just some canberra based media cover up or something.

Nearly everything I've read in this thread is Parramatta supporters wanting to hear from the kid not a media campaign being instigated and controlled by Furner and Co. The most amount of rubbish is you talking with your head stuck up your ass thinking you know everything by whats written on twitter and the media in Canberra. The only ones who would know is the kid, his family and maybe the manager.

Everything is all pure speculation because for whatever reason Canberra has put a media ban on him, imo its so they can influence him, it seems as he is easily led in regards to his backflip on representative football. At the end of the day the Raiders have f**ked up royally to even let it get this far if they are or were that interested in the kidin all honesty. They have made themselves look even more amateurish with how they are handling it now.

Raider_69

Post Whore
why didnt the raiders come up with these 3rd party deals in a counteroffer to match the eels contract before he signed?

Based on what has been reported, whether true or not, it's because the club didnt feel it was needed. They were told 400k would see him stay, they were comfortable doing that under the cap, only to not only be told they werent in the ball park, but he'd already signed the other deal.

Raider_69

Post Whore
they have gagged him for a reason

They've gagged him for his own good.
Absolutely nothing good can come of him commenting until he knows what he wants to do, because what ever he says is likely to be held against him by a future employee and their fans.

As ive said a number of times. Parramatta and their fans would not be remotely impressed if he came out preaching how he wanted to stay in canberra, only to see us fall short of the dollars and then have him lob into Parra with his tail between his legs.

Nor would the Raiders or our fans take it well if he said he was dead keen on going to Parra, only to back flip because we stumped up the cash. You want to cheer on blokes who want to be here. Not cheer on money grubber who used another club to sqeeze more out of us.

The only win he gets is if he comments and they happens to be where he winds up, given i dont think he has any f**king idea on where he'll play football in 2014, the safest option for him is to keep his mouth shut, and the easiest excuse he can have for that is that the raiders have gagged him. So for his own good, as well as ours, and yours btw. That's exactly what they've done.