What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Organised crime and drugs in sport investigation part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

First Grade
:roll:

How many times we going around this block? ALL NRL clubs have been cleared.

It is understandable that you are searching for any thread of hope being a sharkies supporter. But nobody has officially said any club is clear and even i the club is unaware it doesnt mean a myriad of players from the one club aren't involved.

Feej

First Grade
Love how everyone that usually bags out the media are treating the current reporting as absolutely true just to suit their own agendas. Anyone who thinks the media dragging one club through the dirt based on here-say, is good for the game at all, is an idiot.

DoggiesBro

Juniors
I hope the sharkies come out of this alright. If it's based on 2011 they only really need to worry about Gallen.

If I was a Knight fan i'd be a bit worried about Snowden and Jeremy.

I hope for the NRL as a fan they are clean and this is just more media dribble.

Head up Shark fans!

El Diablo

Post Whore
Nah wasn't kent i missed the guys name it was crossed to by foxsport news i think it was the afl 360 show. others would of seen it

AFL 360 spend their time talking about NRL?

no wonder i never watch Fox Poofy

I hope the sharkies come out of this alright. If it's based on 2011 they only really need to worry about Gallen.

If I was a Knight fan i'd be a bit worried about Snowden and Jeremy.

I hope for the NRL as a fan they are clean and this is just more media dribble.

Head up Shark fans!

Shhhhh, we are avoiding highlighting this, same with two at the Titans. After all if one was doing it, they all must be.

bartman

Immortal
Sorry El but Cronulla are also in the clear, despite some morons in here praying for that to be different. We are talking individual players, not the club/s themselves. It's about what players did outside the club and who was assisting them.
14 individual players out of 25? :sarcasm:

Lambretta

First Grade
it is now

they may have taken it not knowing it was now banned

no excuse for ignorance

I have just watched NRL 360 and they have said that from what they seem to understand some Sharks players started taking peptides that were LEGAL in 2010 or 2011 and failed to be advised to stop taking them when they made the banned list some time later.

There was no systematic cheating, rather players trusting their club doctors who failed to keep up to date with what was ok and what was not.

When this whole issue first broke a friend of mine said that he'd hate to see any players banned for taking something prescribed by a doctor. I, like him trust my doctor with any medications they prescribe.

If this turns out to be true, I'd hope that rather than ban players they look to place the blame with the management and officials who allowed it to occur.

Re the Sharks - the 14 players in question have been advised to admit if they think they've done anything wrong and they'll be banned from playing for 6 months - which is effectively this season. If they think they've done nothing wrong they are free to play on. If they are then later found to have taken a banned substance then they will be banned for two years.

If there is substance to these claims (and I have my doubts over the substance of the substances), I for one would strongly urge the NRL to look at sanctions against the doctors and management people who made this error at the clubs rather than penalising the players and the long suffering fans of the Cronulla Sharks.

Lambretta

First Grade
tomorrow's Telegraph

BEqQNDWCEAEmNOO.jpg:large

bartman

Immortal
I have just watched NRL 360 and they have said that from what they seem to understand some Sharks players started taking peptides that were LEGAL in 2010 or 2011 and failed to be advised to stop taking them when they made the banned list some time later.

There was no systematic cheating, rather players trusting their club doctors who failed to keep up to date with what was ok and what was not.

When this whole issue first broke a friend of mine said that he'd hate to see any players banned for taking something prescribed by a doctor. I, like him trust my doctor with any medications they prescribe.

If this turns out to be true, I'd hope that rather than ban players they look to place the blame with the management and officials who allowed it to occur.

Re the Sharks - the 14 players in question have been advised to admit if they think they've done anything wrong and they'll be banned from playing for 6 months - which is effectively this season. If they think they've done nothing wrong they are free to play on. If they are then later found to have taken a banned substance then they will be banned for two years.

If there is substance to these claims (and I have my doubts over the substance of the substances), I for one would strongly urge the NRL to look at sanctions against the doctors and management people who made this error at the clubs rather than penalising the players and the long suffering fans of the Cronulla Sharks.
Good post, all sounds fair enough.

Is transportation to Adelaide enough of a punishment for club management? ;-)

BunniesMan

Immortal
Devastated Sharks officials are resigned to being without a host of star players for the season, some of whom could be suspended before their season-opening match against the Gold Coast on Sunday.
Sharks insiders believe a former staffer has turned whistleblower on the Shire club
The Cronulla club operates without a chief executive, and its chairman, Damian Irvine, is overseas.

Players may sue Cronulla if they are banned for drug use
Date
March 7, 2013
218 reading nowRead later
Brad Walter and Glenn Jackson

inShare
Pin Itsubmit to redditEmail articlePrintReprints & permissions
THE FALLOUT

Betting suspended on NRL clash
Betting has been suspended on Cronulla's NRL season-opener against Gold Coast.
Autoplay ONOFFVideo feedbackVideo settings
Shattered Cronulla players are believed to be considering legal action if they are suspended for inadvertently taking performance-enhancing substances.

Up to 14 Sharks players are understood to have been offered six-month bans if they plead guilty to using prohibited drugs. But it is understood they argued that if they had taken drugs, they did so unknowingly. It is unclear whether former Cronulla players now at other clubs have been offered the same deal, which would save them from the usual two-year bans handed down to athletes testing positive to performance-enhancing drugs.

Fairfax Media has been told Sharks players were given Thymosin Beta 4 and CJC-1295 peptides during the 2011 season.

Closing ranks: Cronulla coach Shane Flanagan barred the media from his club's training session on Wednesday.
It is understood the products were not on the World Anti-Doping Agency's banned list at the time but both were included in the Australian Crime Commission report into doping and match fixing under the heading "Performance and Image Enhancing Substances".

Advertisement
If the players were to be suspended, Fairfax Media was told the players might sue the club, claiming to have been told the substances were legal. A source told Fairfax Media the players could claim the Sharks had a duty of care for them while they were employed by the club.

If they were suspended for six months, the players would not only miss the majority of this season but there was a risk their long-term careers would be severely damaged. The players would also lose 50 per cent of their contract money for the year as Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority guidelines prevent the payment to athletes suspended for drugs use.

Cronulla officials will also come under scrutiny over the decision to hire controversial sports scientist Stephen Dank and the level of autonomy he was given at the club.

Dank is at the centre of the ASADA investigation into AFL club Essendon and similar allegations about the use of peptides by their players and has been interviewed twice by the ACC. He has denied any wrongdoing, and Fairfax Media has been told there are allegations against another member of the Sharks' off-field staff over the use of performance-enhancing substances by players.

The ACC report described CJC-1295 as a growth hormone releasing peptide and "one of the principal peptides identified by the ACC and ASADA as being misused in both professional sports and the broader population".

Thymosin Beta 4 is used to aid injury recovery and is described in the ACC report as "not regulated". It is used extensively for performance enhancement in horses.

Sharks coach Shane Flanagan shut the media out of training on Wednesday and could not be contacted afterwards.

However, it is understood he does not anticipate any changes to the side he named on Tuesday to host Gold Coast in Sunday night's opening round fixture.

A statement posted on the Cronulla website on Wednesday night said the club was fully assisting with the ASADA investigation.

"Sharks fans and all rugby league supporters can be assured the club has been very proactive in fully co-operating with ASADA and taking other measures that prioritise the integrity of our club and the welfare of our playing group," the statement said. "While there are strict boundaries around what we can say while the ASADA investigation is ongoing, fans should be assured that as soon as there is an opportunity to provide further information we will do so."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...or-drug-use-20130306-2flrd.html#ixzz2MlApFFOw

Huh ? They were not on the banned list but they're still facing bans?

What am I missing here?

Honestly looks like lions for lambs from asada.

They need some dope on the table quick. Hello cronulla sharks.

Darkest day in Australian sport :lol: the best they have is some drugs that weren't banned but now are?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts