What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raiderdave

First Grade
In Brisbane there is now not only interest in League..

Roar doing ok.. And Reds actually drawing well.

Looks like 30-32k here at the stadium. Few heavy showers made the line up walk away.

firing up that but but but machine eh ?
its purring along like a kitten now :lol::lol:

I was at the game last night, and as a member I am almost invariably at the game (unless something unforeseen arises), and I agree with the sentiment that 31k is on the low side for a season opener. I love going to the 40-50k season opener at Suncorp. Last night felt flat, and was only exacerbated by the worst crowd interaction ever conceived: the Rally Towel.

The sight of 20k or so Rally Towels flapping about in the wind was about as intimidating as sitting in a butterfly enclosure. If there had been Nuremberg Rally Towels, Hitler would've been laughed out of the Reichstag and WW2 would have been averted.

And, boding worse for the season, there were a few gaps around me last night that were previously member seats. Whether that just couldn't come last night, didn't come last night due to the weather (which has been crap for weeks, and despite the lack of rain in the game itself last night, was not good) or don't come back will remain to be seen. I hope they are back.

All of that said, there is a shitload of hyperbole and ignorance in this thread.

Broncos hit 43k average crowds in 1993 and 35900 in 1995. They have never beaten either number since. Last year they had one mediocre year and it seems the wheels are off the bandwagon.

1993 was the first season at ANZ, after a premiership win, they were uber successful and pretty much the only game in town. Furthermore, League itself then was the hottest thing going and existed on pretty much awesome media. (Hard to imagine now.) The crowds were artificially high that year.

Super League broke on April Fools Day 1995. Crowds dived.

There are more Valleys supporters in Brisbane than Broncos supporters.

Yeah. But no. There aren't. Really.

31,139 shit

I'm calling it. Broncos fans are the worst supporters right now in the comp.

Yep that is woeful.

Sorry, but no excuses.

Pathetic crowd by the Bandwagon Bronco's, the weather is hardly an excuse.

Disappointing, yes. Pathetic? Sets a pretty high bar for other crowds this season.

31k was a shit crowd no matter which way you look at it,any excuse to have a dig at Sydney and the number of teams that play out of there.

Ok, so no matter which way we look at it (your test for a shit crowd) all crowds must be over 31k. I will hold you to that this season. Even this round.

Yes it's still just as bad. They have the whole Brisbane market to themselves and they have been by far the most successful team since their inclusion.

No, they don't. The Brisbane sporting market is hotly contested by three other professional franchises. To say that they don't exist because they aren't league is to hide your head in the sand. They are the competitors.

No locky. No interest from broncos fans.

So when is there "interest"? 32k? 33k?

the self annoited capital of the rugby league world exposed as anything but
a shamful crowd last night ....
shamful

Shamful? So you are disputing the figure? Please explain?

Broncos are dropping the ball crowd wise. From a broncos supporters point of view its upsetting. But when you go to the games you understand why people are deciding to stay at home. Broncos games are becoming a sell out.. Almost childish and annoying.

Broncos fans yes are crap at the moment. But Brisbane NRL fans no.

Good post.

if there were only 2 sides in sydney ( the ratio to the present day populations of both cities )

they'd pull 30K every week

& double that when the Sydney sides are playing each other

anything else I can help you with ?

You've already been called on this argument by me, and then disappeared. Don't bother pulling it out again.

To reprise: are a million people earning $1 a day better off than 1 person earning $1000000? Nope.

Your logic is flawed.

A lot of axes being ground in this thread, so I don't expect anyone to actually read my response. Let the abuse begin! :crazy:

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
:lol::lol::lol:
are you serious

now yr
bagging off at the Broncos
distancing yourself from them

Oh we're Brisbane
not the Broncos

look at your name & give yrself an uppercut :lol:

sorry .. you're one & the same
passion when it suits you is what you lot have a mortgage on & nothing else.

HAHA - im a broncos member and always will be. Im saying Broncos fans are letting them down. BUT BRISBANE RUGBY LEAGUE FANS ARE STILL THE BEST.

So stupid you are.

Raiderdave

First Grade
I was at the game last night, and as a member I am almost invariably at the game (unless something unforeseen arises), and I agree with the sentiment that 31k is on the low side for a season opener. I love going to the 40-50k season opener at Suncorp. Last night felt flat, and was only exacerbated by the worst crowd interaction ever conceived: the Rally Towel.

The sight of 20k or so Rally Towels flapping about in the wind was about as intimidating as sitting in a butterfly enclosure. If there had been Nuremberg Rally Towels, Hitler would've been laughed out of the Reichstag and WW2 would have been averted.

And, boding worse for the season, there were a few gaps around me last night that were previously member seats. Whether that just couldn't come last night, didn't come last night due to the weather (which has been crap for weeks, and despite the lack of rain in the game itself last night, was not good) or don't come back will remain to be seen. I hope they are back.

All of that said, there is a shitload of hyperbole and ignorance in this thread.

1993 was the first season at ANZ, after a premiership win, they were uber successful and pretty much the only game in town. Furthermore, League itself then was the hottest thing going and existed on pretty much awesome media. (Hard to imagine now.) The crowds were artificially high that year.

Super League broke on April Fools Day 1995. Crowds dived.

Yeah. But no. There aren't. Really.

Disappointing, yes. Pathetic? Sets a pretty high bar for other crowds this season.

Ok, so no matter which way we look at it (your test for a shit crowd) all crowds must be over 31k. I will hold you to that this season. Even this round.

No, they don't. The Brisbane sporting market is hotly contested by three other professional franchises. To say that they don't exist because they aren't league is to hide your head in the sand. They are the competitors.

So when is there "interest"? 32k? 33k?

Shamful? So you are disputing the figure? Please explain?

Good post.

You've already been called on this argument by me, and then disappeared. Don't bother pulling it out again.

To reprise: are a million people earning $1 a day better off than 1 person earning $1000000? Nope.

Your logic is flawed.

A lot of axes being ground in this thread, so I don't expect anyone to actually read my response. Let the abuse begin! :crazy:

with a but but here
& a but but there

here a but
there a but
everywhere a but but

seriously ... man up & accept that Broncos crowds are way below where they should be
& there aren't any valid excuses
K :cool:

applesauce

Bench

The towel was fantastic when we had scored, kicked a goal, got a drop out/penalty in the red zone (the other times didn't work).

It got the crowd into it alot more than usual when we used it right.

This is what it could be http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v6yYKzYOhs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErJo2CpAYps (it is an attempt to get this kind of culture in the crowd).

with a but but here
& a but but there

here a but
there a but
everywhere a but but

seriously ... man up & accept that Broncos crowds are way below where they should be
& there aren't any valid excuses
K :cool:

What on earth are you blathering on about? No matter how disappointing you guys want a paint a 30k+ crowd as, it is the norm in Brisbane and the exception in Sydney.

What's that you say? "But we have 9 teams in Sydney!".

Here a but, there a but, indeed.

The towel was fantastic when we had scored, kicked a goal, got a drop out/penalty in the red zone (the other times didn't work).

It got the crowd into it alot more than usual when we used it right.

This is what it could be http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v6yYKzYOhs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErJo2CpAYps (it is an attempt to get this kind of culture in the crowd).

Maybe I will be more inclined to appreciate it if they (a) get rid of the stupid "alert" sound they used to get us to wave them, and (b) don't get us to wave them when the opposition has just scored a try.

An eloquent bloke behind me sagely noted that "I don't want to wave the ****ing towel you dumb ****s. Manly just ****ing scored you ****ing ****wits!" On an unrelated note, when Jack Reed had an encounter with the sideline he expressed similar disdain for those whose heritage is (more recently than his, as he appeared to be of Anglo-Celtic stock) directly from the Mother Country. And his emphasis wasn't on "Mother" or "-ry" when he mocked Reed.

blukablu

Juniors
Hardly a disappointing crowd. I think the highest crowd we've had against Manly is around 35,000 (if you don't include finals and Locky's farewell game) which we would have gotten easily if it hadn't rained every single day since tickets went on sale.

Oh and to Raiderdave at least our crowds are getting bigger and have room for more growth. We've doubled our average attendance since we came into the competition 25 years ago. In the last 10 years crowds have been up on the previous year all but once.

What about the Raiders? Averaging less in 2013 than they did all the way back in 1982.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
We cant stop the media and especially the commercial networks from making crowd predictions, so i think the nrl should introduce a live tickets remaining count for each fixture as they do in american sports. Gives everyone an indication of the attendance and stop the ridiculous articles declaring sellouts that never eventuate.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
What on earth are you blathering on about? No matter how disappointing you guys want a paint a 30k+ crowd as, it is the norm in Brisbane and the exception in Sydney.

What's that you say? "But we have 9 teams in Sydney!".

Here a but, there a but, indeed.

only 12 nrl games a year in the city, all in a world class stadium with a team competitive since the dawn of the franchise. Add to that everyone knows what night you play on, very favourable local media coverage, opening night of the season. Did i mention all of the bars and restaurants around the stadium to make it a social event, something few other stadiums on the east coast have.

Brisbane average 2009- 34,587. 2010- 35,032. 2011- 33,209. 2010- 32,660. Where does the decline end i wonder?

Sydney average 2009- 14,888. 2010- 15,626. 2011- 15,154. 2012- 15,814. Trending upwards despite the saturation of approx a hundred games per season.

Also, sydney clubs have shown 1.8% growth on last years memberships (2012- 109,534. 2013- 111,472 and counting)

Queensland clubs are 18% behind last years toal memberships and the broncos in particular are -28% which is a crap effort in an era of year on year growth in the total number of NRL members. (2012- 43,223. 2013- 35,462)

some11

Referee
Far out this thread has turned shit the last couple of pages.

The reason (not excuse) the Broncos crowds suck is because the Broncos suck and fairweather types aren't going to bother turning up.

I'll be at every game watching the suck and lamenting the fact that people aren't showing up and that the away supporters show more passion than Broncos supporters ever do.

only 12 nrl games a year in the city, all in a world class stadium with a team competitive since the dawn of the franchise. Add to that everyone knows what night you play on, very favourable local media coverage, opening night of the season. Did i mention all of the bars and restaurants around the stadium to make it a social event, something few other stadiums on the east coast have.

All true, except the opening night of the season, which, to judge by the SBW hoo haa I believe was the night before. Did I mention that the media gave that a lot of coverage (SBW OMG!). I don't believe that Brisbane is the only city to get plenty of League coverage.

Brisbane average 2009- 34,587. 2010- 35,032. 2011- 33,209. 2010- 32,660. Where does the decline end i wonder?

Andrew Bolt would be proud of this cherry picking of data! Do you read his Herald Sun blog? Your use of data is akin to how he picks dates to deny a warming trend in the climate.

You could just as easily give the data since 1999, which is arguably more meaningful, and get a very different trend picture, regardless of fluctuations in the data when it is looked at on this scale.

Sydney average 2009- 14,888. 2010- 15,626. 2011- 15,154. 2012- 15,814. Trending upwards despite the saturation of approx a hundred games per season.

Cut the data up any way you like, and say what you like. If I took out 2009 I could equally argue that attendances had plateaued.

At any rate, you are showing me that the Sydney average is, to quote other posts in this forum "shit", "pathetic" etc.

Queensland clubs are 18% behind last years toal memberships and the broncos in particular are -28% which is a crap effort in an era of year on year growth in the total number of NRL members. (2012- 43,223. 2013- 35,462)

Just to clarify, are you comparing this years ongoing membership count with last year's final count? Again, that is a very Boltian (ie invalid) use of statistics.

Last edited:
Far out this thread has turned shit the last couple of pages.

The reason (not excuse) the Broncos crowds suck is because the Broncos suck and fairweather types aren't going to bother turning up.

I'll be at every game watching the suck and lamenting the fact that people aren't showing up and that the away supporters show more passion than Broncos supporters ever do.

There's no denying that the away corner really makes some noise, so to speak, but there is no denying the passion etc of the people who sit in my section. Where do you sit and why is everybody so comatose?

BunniesMan

Immortal
Hopefully Parra picks things up if they get a few wins on the board. 13k is quite poor for round 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts