What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Organised crime and drugs in sport investigation part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danish

Referee
What a stupid argument. The Waratahs and Swans have, until recently (with GWS being introduced) represented all of Sydney, regardless of where they play home games. There are plenty of people north of the harbour that support Manly first but also follow the Waratahs or Swans in some capacity. If Manly are booted or relocated those people will most likely switch to their second team ('tahs or Swans) even if they don't follow them as avidly as they do/did Manly. No Manly supporters will start following the Roosters, Eels, Knights, Bears or anyone else that could be seen as a next best option.

And given Manly fans have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are completely unwilling to cross a bridge to support their own team, how exactly is this supposed support going to translate into any increase in crowds or memberships for those 2 clubs?

All well and good for them to say "I go for the tahs now", but if they aren't turning up to games (I assume they were already watching them on TV given you stated these people were dual fans to begin with any way) then it means f**k all

firechild

First Grade
But we're not even talking about increases in memberships or attendances for either, we're talking about losing rugby league fans. That was my point, Manly fans won't support any other league team even though their support for the 'tahs or Swans won't generally include any financial contribution like it does for Manly. Does it really make any difference to the NRL if fans just stop following rugby league or if they start watching the Swans on tv? Either way they are lost to the NRL.

Mong

Post Whore
Good point.

I get pissed off with that and f**kwits like Rothfield who write crap like the A League won crowd battle in Sydney over the weekend.

The top two crowds were RL ones, yet this clown says the A League finished in front.

The article i saw didn't say that at all..

Wanderers getting a bigger crown than parra makes me smile though

magpie4ever

First Grade
If Asada finds more than 1 team has broken Asada regulations and its widespread throughout the sport do they have the power to shut down the entire 2013 comp ?

No, they can place bans on individuals; it would be up to the NRL to place additional bans on the clubs.

WADA can recommend that the Australian league team is banned from international competitions.

I didn't realise the AFL and Super rugby had franchises in the northern beaches/north of the harbour for us to be giving up that area too.

Oh thats right, they f**king don't.

Why would an ex-manly fan be any more likely to go for the eastern suburbs based Waratahs or Swans, or western suburbs based Giants, than any of the half dozen NRL teams based equally as close to them?

The area is already mostly a union one ( particualry the north shore)

And in the lower north shore there is a decent support for the AFL.

If you dont think rugby league leaving the area would hurt us around there and help our opposition you're kidding.

Again, where are the AFL and Super Rugby teams north of the harbour for these people to support?

Mate I hate the two f*cking codes.

But like it or not rugby league in sydney is tribal and regional. Without a team in the north our code will be hurt there.

Union suporters have only one team to go for. It stands to reason that the fans might be a little spread out.

magpie4ever

First Grade
The area is already mostly a union one ( particualry the north shore)

And in the lower north shore there is a decent support for the AFL.

If you dont think rugby league leaving the area would hurt us around there and help our opposition you're kidding.

The Peninsula has always had strong union support (Manly and Warringah rugby clubs) and strong junior rugby competitions.

firechild

First Grade
The Peninsula has always had strong union support (Manly and Warringah rugby clubs) and strong junior rugby competitions.

There might be 2 sides in the area but you struggle to find a handful of people that give 2 shits whether they win or lose. Even the majority of people I knew at school that played rugby (far fewer than those who played league) were more rugby league fans than union.

Haffa

Just because they have two teams in the Shite Shield doesn't make the area 'strong'. Both clubs home crowds combined would average less than 10% of Manly's home crowds.

Last edited:

magpie4ever

First Grade
Just because they have two teams in the Shite Shield doesn't make the area 'strong'. Both clubs home crowds combined would average less than 10% of Manly's home crowds.

Settle down, dudes.

I'm just stating the 3 strongest areas of Sydney with regards to rugby union are: Eastern Suburbs, North Shore and the Pennisula. St Augustine's is a very strong rugby school.

I not saying Manly should be booted; at least not yet.

reanimate

Bench
Fair enough, sorry.

Unless, he's using a proxy.....

Or his phone- note how quiet gutters has been in TFC.

On the Northern Beaches- a lot of kids play Union, as well as a lot of kids playing League- but the vast majority of the kids playing Union have little-to-no interest in senior Union teams and instead follow the Sea Eagles. That was definitely the case for all the junior Union teams I played in until I switched to playing League. The Rats get next-to-no one at their games, neither do the Marlins, and there's not many Waratahs supporters either.

Status
Not open for further replies.