What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Association Football

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gronk

Staff member
Nice one Mr Gallop, but we had the Amco Cup many moons ago with Western Division wining it one year IIRC.

An Australia Day grand final in 2015 is set to be the showpiece of the inaugural FFA Cup, which will finally kick-off this time next year, Football Federation Australia boss David Gallop has announced.
The much-anticipated knockout tournament, based on England's FA Cup, will feature around 700 teams across Australia with the A-League sides to join in September and October at the same time as their season starts.
Gallop said on Wednesday that the FFA Cup, which is sure to provide another boon for the code currently enjoying a surge in popularity across Australia, was a priority for his administration.
"We will move to an FFA Cup and I would expect it to start in 2014," Gallop said.
"It will start around this time of the year and the A-League clubs will come in around September and October to coincide with the start of the A-League season.
"The grand plan is to hold an Australia Day grand final of the FFA Cup."
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-04-10/ffa-cup-set-to-kick-off-next-year/4620966?section=sport

Gronk

Staff member
I don't remember the Amco/Tooth/KB cup having 700 teams though.

Suity

Very true. I bet the game between the Wyong Wankers and the Marrickville Merkins will be a hoot.

7226004456_80594ff296.jpg

hybrideel

Bench
Isn't it funny how that article basically just repeats everything Gallop said and then goes on to add his quotes as well. The entire article would be 4 lines long if it wasn't for the doubling up of info

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
go nuts boys, Footabll is not off topic in here.

And sorry I just cant come to grips with calling it Soccer, its Football.

Come On You Spurs

Nice one Mr Gallop, but we had the Amco Cup many moons ago with Western Division wining it one year IIRC.

Yeh, I think NSW Country played in the Amco / Tooth cup thing as late as the early 80s didn't they? Was the highlight of my week living in sticks as a kid.....was allowed to stay up 'late'.

Come On You Spurs

Spurs were (understandably) Abramovich's first choice of an outlet for his roubles....then he visited the area.....Nice stroke of luck for Chelsea.

84 Baby

Referee

Come On You Spurs
Pretty sure this has been mentioned before but you should actually be calling it soccer or at least if you want to sound proper then association football. Calling it just Football is akin to saying Rugby and then not clarifying whether it's League or Union

Gronk

Staff member
I heard Beckham refer to the game as soccer when he played for Galaxy.

#justsaying

bartman

Immortal
Passion is not a crime... but just in case, the dog squad and riot police are needed for the Wanderers next game... :crazy:

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/national/16679816/extra-cops-for-sydney-a-league-semi-final/

Extra cops for Sydney A-League semi-final
AAP Updated April 11, 2013, 11:07 am

110413m_wanderers_800x600-18mcajs.jpg

Extra police will be in force at Friday s A-League semi-final between the Wanderers and Brisbane.

The dog squad and riot police will be at this week's A-League semi-final in Sydney following unruly behaviour and hooliganism at recent fixtures.

Police say the ramped-up security at Friday night's anticipated sell-out clash between the Western Sydney Wanderers and Brisbane Roar at Parramatta Stadium will include bag searches and extra police including the riot and dog squads.

North West Metropolitan Region Commander Assistant Commissioner Denis Clifford said "rogue elements" responsible for past hooliganism should think twice.

"There will be large numbers of police on patrol inside and outside the stadium, throughout the Parramatta CBD, and on public transport to and from the venue," he said on Thursday.

"Fans who spoil others' enjoyment of the match or put the safety of others at risk by engaging in anti-social and criminal behaviour will be dealt with accordingly."

Last month video emerged of a group of Wanderers supporters outside a Parramatta restaurant, yelling, swearing, spitting and hurling a glass at a Sydney FC fan who was eating with friends before the Sydney derby.

There was also violence inside Parramatta Stadium, with a number of people invading the pitch.

At least seven people were arrested.

Police have also previously had to deal with the lighting of flares and alcohol-related violence from A-League fans.

FMD. Yobs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts