What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gold Coast-Tweed Giants/Seagulls & Chargers

160px-Gold_Coast-Tweed_Giants_logo.jpg

150px-Gold_Coast_Seagulls_logo.jpg

Goldcoast_1988.jpg

To keep up with the previous nostalgic threads, lets this time talk about the previous incarnations of the Gold Coast-Tweed pre-Titans. I'm sure there isn't a whole lot of posters who remember the Giants well but Seagulls and Chargers should be a few. Speaking of them what are your memories concerning these sides? Did you attend any games at the old Tweed Stadium or Carrara? Do you or anyone you know own any merchandise? Talk everything Giants, Seagulls and Chargers in this thread.

Hunter Mariners
http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=420721

South Queensland Crushers
http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=419667

I remember the Chargers winning a couple of games at the back end of the 1997 ARL season to make it to the finals, vs. Illawarra Steelers (next team I'll touch on). I also remember them being pumped by Melbourne Storm in 98, might've been a 60 to whatever scoreline.

The Seagulls, I remember Wally as captain coach and them being generally rubbish. I didnt mind them because they used a variation of a North Sydney Bears 1970's jersey. They didnt have much luck.

Giants were diabolical. Nothing positive to say except they tried hard? Didnt mind their colours actually, it's a shame that they are one incarnation which has all but disappeared much like Glebe, Annandale and Cumberland as far as merchandise is concerned. Sure there are a few knock offs available on eBay but I'm guessing a genuine Giants jersey would be worth a fair bit?

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Dont remember much of the Giants.

I saw Parra play the Seagulls a few times at Parra Stadium.

I remember a few matches were shown on Ch 9 on a Saturday nights. One in particular Gold Coast Vs Newcastle in 1993. The Seagulls I think won 22-8, which was the only victory for them that year and poor Wally didnt well as coach. In actual fact it was another great who debuted in that match. See if you can guess.

Actually last year on Fox Sports they replayed on old Seagulls/Magpies match from 1991.

Some big names on that Gold Coast team. The King Wally. Chris Close, Wayne Bartrim and Michael Searle.

Didnt the old Seagulls club get sold off along with the stadium and now its pretty much a housing estate?

Here's a news report of the history

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOh_H1pMSWE

axl rose

Bench
2qkozz9.jpg

Played some good footy for the chargers in 97/98. Last I heard he was doing some time.

Memories of tweed stadium? small and right on top of the action. Could hear Wally Lewis saying "f**k^in tackle" from the in-goal at least 15 times per match as the poor old Gulls conceded yet another try.

Last edited:

Son of Minto

Bench
Didnt the old Seagulls club get sold off along with the stadium and now its pretty much a housing estate?

The club is still there, but yeah now it's just a residential area.

Grew up near the Tweed Stadium. Went to some games as a real youngster. Can't remember much. Looking back now it's so weird to think they played premiership games in Tweed Heads.

axl rose

Bench
The club is still there, but yeah now it's just a residential area.

Grew up near the Tweed Stadium. Went to some games as a real youngster. Can't remember much. Looking back now it's so weird to think they played premiership games in Tweed Heads.

The reason they played in NSW was because the NSWRL wanted a second team in Brisbane but they had already (regrettably) bowed to an exclusivity clause into the Broncos licence for QLD. So they just moved the Giants down the road instead.

htsas1.jpg

Use to get 2 of this guy per footy pack, he was impossible to trade, despite being a Rothmans medal winner.

Last edited:

Diesel

Coach
I remember the joke doing the rounds in 92 or 93 when the Seagulls won only one game all season.

What's the difference between the Gold Coast Seagulls and a triangle? A triangle has 3 points

Knightmare

Coach
The Seagulls logo had to be the most drab, uninspiring logo in modern Rugby League. The Gold Coast is known for sunshine and beaches and being a big tourist destination so how did they market their Rugby League team? With a harmless looking white seagull flapping on a black logo with some pointless red stripes that looked like something off a corporate logo. Just the thing to evoke fear in opposition supporters...

IanG

Coach
Dont remember much of the Giants.

I saw Parra play the Seagulls a few times at Parra Stadium.

I remember a few matches were shown on Ch 9 on a Saturday nights. One in particular Gold Coast Vs Newcastle in 1993. The Seagulls I think won 22-8, which was the only victory for them that year and poor Wally didnt well as coach. In actual fact it was another great who debuted in that match. See if you can guess.

Actually last year on Fox Sports they replayed on old Seagulls/Magpies match from 1991.

Some big names on that Gold Coast team. The King Wally. Chris Close, Wayne Bartrim and Michael Searle.

Here's a news report of the history

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOh_H1pMSWE

The 8th Immortal debuted off the bench

I remember the joke doing the rounds in 92 or 93 when the Seagulls won only one game all season.

What's the difference between the Gold Coast Seagulls and a triangle? A triangle has 3 points

Yeah in 1992 they were stripped of 2 points for a breach of the replacement rule. After they beat Illawarra with only 12 men after Brent Todd got sent off in the first minute for a clothesline.

Last edited:

meatloaf

Juniors
I used to go down and watch the Charges play as a kid. Once I got go around the sideline with Captain Charger, that was pretty cool as a small child. I still have a Seagulls gym bag somewhere around too.

Guzzler

Juniors
Seeing from memory Danny Peacock laying on the ground with a dislocated hip, I have had many beers since then so happy to be corrected if wrong.

About the only game I remember of the Seagulls was that one where Brent Todd got sent off in the first minute.

Don't remember the Giants but I think the reason the earlier incarnations were based in NSW is because of poker machines. Naturally the Seagulls club made plenty from them at a time when no Qld club could do so.

I remember the Chargers from 1997, not so much '98. Once the NRL began they never got any free to air TV games. Not that they got many in '97 but by virtue of making the semis they got a brief bit of attention.

Latest posts