What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gold Coast-Tweed Giants/Seagulls & Chargers

Whoosh

Juniors
Seeing from memory Danny Peacock laying on the ground with a dislocated hip, I have had many beers since then so happy to be corrected if wrong.
Spot on. I saw it on the news and it made me feel sick. He was laying face down but one of his knees was facing up because his hip had dislocated. :shock:

They "punted" themselves to be fair. They decided at the end of '98 that they weren't going to be viable even though they had a bit of cash in the bank that not many other clubs would have had. In hindsight the worst thing that happened was the possible merger between them and the Crushers at the end of '97 didn't happen. The GC said no to that and then only lasted another 12 months. A South Qld Chargers (or whatever) could have provided a second Brisbane team and a GC team in one go that might have been a better scenario than we have now.

juro

Bench
The only thing I remember about the Giants was I had a footy card, just showing the logo, a bit like this one...
1989%20stimorol0133.jpg

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
I went to pretty much every Seagulls game in 93 & 94. My Mum lived just up the road from Seagulls & I moved up there when I was 13. Myself, her partners son & a mate that lived next door used to get let into the games for free as we some how managed to score the job of "Official Flag Wavers". We were given the club owned giant seagulls flags before the game & we took them right up to the top of the stand that backed onto seagulls leagues club, & waved the crap out of them whenever appropriate. Non of us supported the seagulls but a footy match was really the only highlight of the weekend for kids our age around that part of the world.
My main memory of a game day is funnily enough not even game related. The stand we were always in had a tin or corrugated iron slide that ran beneath the seats, people would drop there rubbish onto it & it would slide down & drop into this concrete pit/bin that sat underneath the first row. One game some guys smuggled some long necks in & got stuck into them then threw them under their seats, they made a massive noise sliding down & everyone was looking behind to see WTF was going on, then they hit the concrete & just exploded. Everyone in the first coupe of rows jumped a mile high as they got covered in a shower of broken glass. The fella's that dropped them then piss bolted.
We played footy before and after every game on the training field that backed onto the oyster farm road. Pretty much every day after school a bunch of us kids from the neighbour hood would head down & play footy on the main field. I remeber playing in the in goal one day while the first grade team trained around us. We eventually got kicked off onto the training field. Pretty often someone would break into a concession stand & grab whatever they could. I remember one day at school kit kats being handed out to everyone as someone had raided a stand & got the motherload the arvo before. I'm pretty sure the first time I ever tried alcohol was from a bottle someone had stolen when they managed to get into a corporate suite & grab a few bottles. We used to sneak into the change rooms constantly & have spa's, I remember a few times some girls from a couple of grades above us coming down once they heard we could get into the change rooms & have a spa. For a 13yr kid sittng next to a 15-16yr old girl in a spa wearing a bikinni was freakng awesome.
I havn't thought about this stuff for ages, some pretty awesome memories actually.

SaraSassypants

Juniors
Saw a Seagulls/Bulldogs game at Tweed Stadium when I was up there for a holiday with the family. Was only a kid but so I don't remember much other than Bulldogs beat them.

Amadaca

Juniors
I went to pretty much every Seagulls game in 93 & 94. My Mum lived just up the road from Seagulls & I moved up there when I was 13. Myself, her partners son & a mate that lived next door used to get let into the games for free as we some how managed to score the job of "Official Flag Wavers". We were given the club owned giant seagulls flags before the game & we took them right up to the top of the stand that backed onto seagulls leagues club, & waved the crap out of them whenever appropriate. Non of us supported the seagulls but a footy match was really the only highlight of the weekend for kids our age around that part of the world.
My main memory of a game day is funnily enough not even game related. The stand we were always in had a tin or corrugated iron slide that ran beneath the seats, people would drop there rubbish onto it & it would slide down & drop into this concrete pit/bin that sat underneath the first row. One game some guys smuggled some long necks in & got stuck into them then threw them under their seats, they made a massive noise sliding down & everyone was looking behind to see WTF was going on, then they hit the concrete & just exploded. Everyone in the first coupe of rows jumped a mile high as they got covered in a shower of broken glass. The fella's that dropped them then piss bolted.
We played footy before and after every game on the training field that backed onto the oyster farm road. Pretty much every day after school a bunch of us kids from the neighbour hood would head down & play footy on the main field. I remeber playing in the in goal one day while the first grade team trained around us. We eventually got kicked off onto the training field. Pretty often someone would break into a concession stand & grab whatever they could. I remember one day at school kit kats being handed out to everyone as someone had raided a stand & got the motherload the arvo before. I'm pretty sure the first time I ever tried alcohol was from a bottle someone had stolen when they managed to get into a corporate suite & grab a few bottles. We used to sneak into the change rooms constantly & have spa's, I remember a few times some girls from a couple of grades above us coming down once they heard we could get into the change rooms & have a spa. For a 13yr kid sittng next to a 15-16yr old girl in a spa wearing a bikinni was freakng awesome.
I havn't thought about this stuff for ages, some pretty awesome memories actually.

Give us a paragraph once in a while! :lol:

Enjoyed the story, though. Thanks much.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Saw a Seagulls/Bulldogs game at Tweed Stadium when I was up there for a holiday with the family. Was only a kid but so I don't remember much other than Bulldogs beat them.

I loved it because none of those Gold Coast sides ever defeated the Bulldogs. It was like having a bye round.

mongoose

Coach
The Seagulls beat the mighty 94 raiders side 8-4 i think it was. Probably their greatest ever win.

Diesel

Referee
I think it may have been the Chargers, but they had a one off game at Cararra a d beat the Broncs 25-12

muznik

Juniors
Wow there is some great stuff in that clip. Wally hit in head with beer can, the Dolphins jersey.

I remember the GC Gladiators, many wouldn't. I think they only played in the sevens before the licence was taken back from that lunatic.

I used to go to a few Seagulls games as a mate of mine played for them & the Chargers. I used to like the Seagulls ground as you were close to the action and it was easy to get beer from the Can Bars plus the toilets were easily accessible too.

I remember one night the Seagull mascot being on the sidelines. The bloke next to me threw a pretty near full can from half way up the grandstand that sconned it right in the head. I knew it was wrong and I was outraged at the wastage of beer but part of me also wanted to high five him for the accuracy!
My recollection is the Chargers were punted and didn?t go of their own accord. I remember the questions being asked as to why, when they had something like $2.5m in the bank and had just had what I am pretty sure was their most successful season.
As a side note I have a Gold Coast Dolphins jersey shown in that clip that?s never been worn!

Jason Maher

Immortal
The 8th Immortal debuted off the bench

Yeah in 1992 they were stripped of 2 points for a breach of the replacement rule. After they beat Illawarra with only 12 men after Brent Todd got sent off in the first minute for a clothesline.

I wish I could forget that match. First game I ever went to. My most vivid recollection is some drunk prick challenging Eddie Ward to a fight after the match for sending Brent Todd off.

I think it may have been the Chargers, but they had a one off game at Cararra a d beat the Broncs 25-12

It was the Seagulls, round 2, 1994.

By the by, the ground was called Seagulls Stadium (might have been changed to Tweed Stadium after the Seagulls became the Chargers and moved to Carrara).

The Great Dane

First Grade
chargers jersey has always been my favorite rl jersey.... dunno wat that says about me....

Me to, well second favorite I liked the GC Gladiators one more, it was the same except that it had different shades of blue for the stripes instead of the yellow, purple and grey green.

I've always wanted a Chargers one, but I couldn't bring myself to buy one at the time because I didn't support them and I've struggled to get my hands on one ever since, still searching for one if anybody got one they want to get rid of.