What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to go back to 14 teams

hindy111

Post Whore
Looking over all the teams in the NRL and every team has atleast 3+ players who are not NRL standards.Teams like Parra and Penrith have about 8.
I just dont think there are enough good players to go around for 16 teams.
We are getting maybe 2-3 games each week that could go either way and the rest are predictable before a ball has been kicked off which makes them almost un watchable.

I say Kick Melbourne and the Sharks out and have 14 teams.Play each other twice with no byes and Origin stand alone.

DeanPay98

Juniors
I would actually be very happy to see the Melbourne Storm kicked out of the comp, but it won't happen.

If it was on the basis of results then the best we could hope for is relegation.

I agree with the 14 teams idea though. Its just that there are too many other interests etc that would prevent it from happening.

Eels Dude

Coach
How would you like it if someone said kick out the Eels because we've been cellar dwellers for three years.

This year is certainly a lot more uneven than previous years, but I'd put that down to the top clubs managing their rosters a lot better than others.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
With the recent upheaval in the salary cap, it has been difficult for clubs, players and managers to agree on revised player values. This has benefitted the top clubs at the expense of the weaker ones, as players mostly remain where they are on short contracts while they wait for the dust to settle.

Mr Pmatta

Juniors
Not a very smart thread considering our last 5 years of ineptness and then some, the mind boggles.

Looking over all the teams in the NRL and every team has atleast 3+ players who are not NRL standards.Teams like Parra and Penrith have about 8.
I just dont think there are enough good players to go around for 16 teams.
We are getting maybe 2-3 games each week that could go either way and the rest are predictable before a ball has been kicked off which makes them almost un watchable.

I say Kick Melbourne and the Sharks out and have 14 teams.Play each other twice with no byes and Origin stand alone.

Oh right......we are in a position to suggest chucking teams out?

Seriously, there are always players playing the top grade who are 'not up to NRL' standard. I can't remember a time when it wasn't the case. Sure it varies a bit from year to year, and rule changes sometimes highlight different player attributes, but I see no problem with the number of teams we presently have.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Can something be done to prevent hindy111 starting threads???

Honestly, it's about the 100th 1star quality thread in the last month.

Advice: THINK before you post. Then write down (by hand) what you planned to post on a noteapd. Tear page off notepad. Put page in rubbish bin.
There, you've saved us all a few otherwise wasted moments of our lives.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
We just signed off on a billion dollar TV with 16 teams in it, yeah lets cull two teams and watch the much needed money go out the window.

Another hindy111 thread fail.

Eelogical

Referee

Advice: THINK before you post. Then write down (by hand) what you planned to post on a noteapd. Tear page off notepad. Put page in rubbish bin.

This could, in effect, destroy this forum at it's very foundations.

lingard

Coach
I would love to go back to 12 teams, have a final five system and re-introduce the Amco Cup.
I'm actually serious. I would love that.
But I realise it can't happen.

Eelogical

Referee
I would love to go back to 12 teams, have a final five system and re-introduce the Amco Cup.
I'm actually serious. I would love that.
But I realise it can't happen.

But if it did, what would be the chances of someone making threads about teams playing mid week and having to back up on a weekend? :sarcasm:

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Just shows that other clubs are managing Penrith and the Eels junior base better than Penrith & our club.

Teams still run last with a 14 or 12 team system.

What then, reduce the competition down to 10 then to 8 until eventually only two teams remain?

Gary Gutful

Post Whore

There, you've saved us all a few otherwise wasted moments of our lives.

You forgot to tell Hindy111 to also get a bigger bin.

barney gumble

Juniors
There's no way the NRL are going to reduce team numbers, if anything expansion is still on the table.

In my opinion we need to get a national reserves grade sytem back in place, and make this competition secondary to the NRL, not a third string park footy competition like it is now. The NYC concept is fine, but it is too big of a jump from NYC to NRL for most players. NYC players have an attitude that going from that competition to the NSW cup is a demotion rather than the promotion it should be. Away from the big stage, away from the cameras and lights, away from the pre-NRL crowd, off to Ringrose Park in front of a couple of hundred people is hardly something for these young players to aspire to. "Put me straight into 1st grade coach or I'll sign with Manly".

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
For the record I also think 14 teams is about the right number. However, rather than punting the Storm and the Sharks I think that all of the teams should go through an "It's a Knockout" Style competition in the off season.

Latest posts