What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings and Even More Crap X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I think he will go alot better with a stronger forward pack, but then can he go much worse?

I don't think he's been that bad this year tbh.

My only major gripe with him is that he rarely sets tries up with kicks or gets us repeat sets.

Otherwise, he's looked dangerous running the ball; he's displayed an impressive long kicking game; has kicked goals; and displayed a crisp short passing game.

I never expected him to defend well. He'll never defend well.

Chipmunk

Coach
Absolutely - Hodkinson, Walsh and A. Reynolds can't run; J. Reynolds can't kick, etc.

I think we have a quality player in Sandow, but we need a strong forward pack to really benefit from his inclusion in our side.

And Sandow cannot tackle, organise an attack, kick short, assist players to break the line, etc

lingard

Coach
I guess the other thing about Sandow is, if ever the term 'confidence player' applied to anyone, it's him. Not good in a struggling team, but if we can start to win some games next year and go on a bit of a run, that's when he'll perform to his best.

Chipmunk

Coach
I don't think he's been that bad this year tbh.

My only major gripe with him is that he rarely sets tries up with kicks or gets us repeat sets.

Otherwise, he's looked dangerous running the ball; he's displayed an impressive long kicking game; has kicked goals; and displayed a crisp short passing game.

I never expected him to defend well. He'll never defend well.

I think he is the wrong type of player from what we need from a 7 going forward. Im guessing this is in part has something to do with the rumuours of us trying to offload him.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I think he is the wrong type of player from what we need from a 7 going forward. Im guessing this is in part has something to do with the rumuours of us trying to offload him.

I think Sandow either needs a good, dominant 5/8, or we move him to 5/8 and go for a no-frills Robson-type halfback. I think he's a good player and we can get value out of him.

Regardless, though - we need a complete overhaul of our forward pack. Maybe it's the fact I am a former prop, but the forward pack is THE most essential piece of the rugby league puzzle IMO.

Chipmunk

Coach
I think Sandow either needs a good, dominant 5/8, or we move him to 5/8 and go for a no-frills Robson-type halfback. I think he's a good player and we can get value out of him.

Regardless, though - we need a complete overhaul of our forward pack. Maybe it's the fact I am a former prop, but the forward pack is THE most essential piece of the rugby league puzzle IMO.

I agree and I dont think Norman is that 6. I dont think having a different 7 with Sandow at 6 is a bad option to try, but we have committed to Norman to play 6. I think his inability to defend is just too big a liability for us to carry. If we did start to become more competitive teams would target him in defence alot more. Now we have so many weaknesses that they dont even have to really worry about it.

I agree also about overhauling the forward pack completely.

Delboy

First Grade
Also, to the extent Boards influence the recruitment policy, there's a definite 'horizon problem'. If you have an election in 1.5 years time, there's a fair incentive to secure signings within that play within that time, potentially at the expense of your budget subsequently. Bit like democratic governments.[/QUOTE]

We really need to understand that the Head Coach determines who we sign not the Board, SK wanted a 7, wanted Tonga, and also signed Harrison etc and was willing to pay what it took, reality

He had the reins and couldn't ride the horse

The Engineers Room

First Grade

We need a halfback or 5/8 that will lead this team around and more quality in the outside backs. We could do with a dominant prop or backrower as well.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Excellent, a menage a trois. Make sure that one of you brings a camera.

voyeur-turtle.jpg

We really need to understand that the Head Coach determines who we sign not the Board, SK wanted a 7, wanted Tonga, and also signed Harrison etc and was willing to pay what it took, reality

He had the reins and couldn't ride the horse

I understand that mate(that's why I put the 'to the extent' bit), but to believe that the Board have no influence (direct or indirect) on clubs signing strategies (maybe not individual signings) is difficult for me to accept (and I've done this sort of stuff for a living....not for a footy club though).

Last edited:

Chipmunk

Coach
I understand that mate(that's why I put the 'to the extent' bit), but to believe that the Board have no influence (direct or indirect) on clubs signing strategies (maybe not individual signings) is difficult for me to accept (and I've done this sort of stuff for a living....not for a footy club though).

I cannot see Sticky taking advice from the board about what players he should sign

I cannot see Sticky taking advice from the board about what players he should sign

Not at present, no.

Very different position for a coach (or CEO) already on shaky ground. The Board hire and fire the CEO, and they each contribute to the hiring / firing of the coach. When push comes to shove, CEOs and coaches know on which side their bread is buttered (or am I being hopelessly naive?).

You'll also note that I qualified my post with 'or signing strategies'......as opposed to specific signings.

Chipmunk

Coach
Not at present, no.

Very different position for a coach (or CEO) already on shaky ground. The Board hire and fire the CEO, and they each contribute to the hiring / firing of the coach. When push comes to shove, CEOs and coaches know on which side their bread is buttered (or am I being hopelessly naive?).

You'll also note that I qualified my post with 'or signing strategies'......as opposed to specific signings.

What do you call signing strategies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts