What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Appoint Brad Arthur as Head Coach

Who should be our next coach

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eelementary

Post Whore
So who's everyones choice for coaching staff.

I personally would like to see Steve folkes as defensive coach.

Assuming brad won't return the favour to SK, and bring him down as assistant. That would be hilarious.

I'd be very shocked if Kearney ever returned to Parramatta in such a capacity.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Originally Posted by IFR33K
This.

The people who want you to believe da is a shit coach, are the ones that sacked him. They had f**k all reason too, and had to justify there decision. They were, and remain f**kwits to this day. They destroyed any chance we had of sending our legends out as winners. They are the reason we 'earned' the spoons, not SK not RS.

Totally agree. With all of it.

Yep - totally agree too.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Okay, okay, forget the 2 out of six. Concentrate on the six. Only six games as head coach at NRL level. Not much experience. Get it? The two out of six is just an added extra; but you've all convinced me that doesn't really matter (inadequate roster, too small a sample size, etc). But I would have chosen someone with more experience, that's all. And I'm not very inspired by Brad Arthur. That okay with you guys?
It's time for your medication.

Gronk

Staff member
I heard Vossy interview BA over the weekend. He confirmed that he has autonomy over the NRL side and said that Ando will look after paperwork, structures, juniors and will be the go between with the board and other staff. He says that he totally agrees with this structure. Vossy alluded that it was this very structure that Taylor objected to and BA said that he thought the opposite and said that it was imperative. Indeed he said that Bennett insisted that this be the same when he took the knights gig and <insert name> does something similar up there.

As for goals he said that we simply will not get the spoon next year. Not an option.

I like what he says. Even sitting my the pool sucking on a bintang in Bali he's angry. Excellent.

I heard Vossy interview BA over the weekend. He confirmed that he has autonomy over the NRL side and said that Ando will look after paperwork, structures, juniors and will be the go between with the board and other staff. He says that he totally agrees with this structure. Vossy alluded that it was this very structure that Taylor objected to and BA said that he thought the opposite and said that it was imperative. Indeed he said that Bennett insisted that this be the same when he took the knights gig and <insert name> does something similar up there.

As for goals he said that we simply will not get the spoon next year. Not an option.

I like what he says. Even sitting my the pool sucking on a bintang in Bali he's angry. Excellent.

welcome to the eels brad he isnt even back in australia yet and the media are hassling him already

let the poor bloke finish his holiday its the last peace and quiet he will get for a while

lingard

Coach
I'm pretty sure we got Arthur (instead of Taylor) because Arthur was prepared to work alongside a GM. Anderson will do a lot of what we have become used to considering the job of an NRL head coach. I'm sure he got the job at least partly because of his extensive experience.

It's really a brilliant move by the club.

Pretty sure that's true (or at least partly true). I hope it's a brilliant move. Neither of us would have a clue about that; only time will tell. But there is the potential for Anderson and Arthurs to be at loggerheads. In theory it sounds good. In practice, let's hope it's good.

lingard

Coach
And the way you talk, the coach is the be-all and end-all of a team's results.

Wayne Bennett said the captain is more important to a team than the coach. Now he might not have meant it, and even if he did he might have been wrong. But the point is there are a lot of factors that go into determining whether a team (and therefore a coach) wins or loses. In the age of the salary cap it's not that easy to quickly change many of those factors even if the coach wanted to.

No, I don't think that. But it sounds like you're saying that, because it is theoretically difficult for fans to make an informed judgement on a coach's ability, we should not have an opinion at all. If you take that argument to the nth degree, then what is a good player? How do we know a player is good or bad? We can't see his attitude. We can't see his injuries, we can't see his frame of mind or what's happening in his social life. We should not be commenting on players. We should just give the scores at the end of the game and that's it. Or maybe we could discuss the score itself. "Hey; 26 to 2. That's only happened three times this year. I think that Matt Keating might be a shit player, but I'm not sure - too many variables."

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
No, I don't think that. But it sounds like you're saying that, because it is theoretically difficult for fans to make an informed judgement on a coach's ability, we should not have an opinion at all. If you take that argument to the nth degree, then what is a good player? How do we know a player is good or bad? We can't see his attitude. We can't see his injuries, we can't see his frame of mind or what's happening in his social life. We should not be commenting on players. We should just give the scores at the end of the game and that's it. Or maybe we could discuss the score itself. "Hey; 26 to 2. That's only happened three times this year. I think that Matt Keating might be a shit player, but I'm not sure - too many variables."

You can see a player's on-field performance. It's what we pay to see.

None of us can see what a coach does (or doesn't do).

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
None of us can see what a coach does (or doesn't do).

Correct - we don't see everything they do.

However, we see some of what they do through their interviews with the media, players interviews with the media, the squad they the select, their use of interchange etc etc.

Based in these many insights it is more than possible to make some relatively informed assessments of the merits (or otherwise) of a coach.

To say that the none of us can see anything that a coach does is not right I'm afraid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts