What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I will not be silent about this

paulmac

Juniors
If this is Steve Johnson idea of development then he should be let no where near an NRL franchise.He would probably recruit a bunch of NSW kids and say that Ipswich lads aren't up to it without giving them a chance.

Boston13s

Juniors
One of the guys has changed teams again. See if you can spot which one:

THE USA Tomahawks have selected a 19-man team for tonight’s friendly against France at Stade de Minimes Toulouse, which will be played in front of a capacity crowd of more than 4,000 people.

This is the Tomahawks’ lone warm-up game before they enter their debut Rugby League World Cup.

There are three American-based players in the run-on team in Mark Offerdahl (Connecticut Wildcats), Kristian Freed (Connecticut Wildcats) and Loto Tagaloa (Hawaii Chiefs).

While Philadelphia’s outside back Michael Garvey, who recently moved to Ipswich in Queensland to try and crack the NRL,also gets a start at centre.

There are also four American based players in Craig Priestly (Southhampton Dragons), Taylor Welch (Connecticut Wildcats), Gabriel Farley (Southampton Dragons) and Les Soloai (Portland) on the interchange bench.

The captain of the 19-man team is Parramatta Eels standout Joseph Paulo who will play five-eighth alongside Belrose halfback David Marando.

Ex-Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles fullback Freed is the custodian while
Redcliffe Dolphins dynamo Tui Samoa is the hooker.

Captain Paulo said despite limited preparations for this game, which included just two days of training, the team had already bonded.

“I’m so glad to be in camp. I’m here to do a job for Team USA and I’m excited,” Paulo said.

“We have a great group of men here.

“We just got in to camp two days ago and I know the boys are just itching to get out there.”

Wests Tigers hooker Joel Luani and Mangere East Hawks captain Roman Hifo
are unavailable for this match due to injury while Clint Newton, Eddy
Pettybourne and Ryan McGoldrick are joining the squad on Saturday in Warrington.

Follow the Tomahawks campaign a thttp://www.facebook.com/USATomahawks and
@USATomahawks

USA Tomahawks vs France, 7.30pm (local time), Stade de Minimes Toulouse
1. Kristian Freed
2. Bureta Faraimo
3. Loto Tagaloa
4. Mike Garvey
5. Matt Petersen
6. Joseph Paulo
7. Dave Marando
8. Junior Paulo
9. Tui Samoa
10. Mark Offerdahl
11. Mark Cantoni
12. Matt Shipway
13. Danny Howard

14. Taylor Welch
15. Gabriel Farley
16. Les Soloai
17. Craig Priestly
18. Judah Lavulo
19. Stephen Howard

gyallop

Juniors
If this is Steve Johnson idea of development then he should be let no where near an NRL franchise.He would probably recruit a bunch of NSW kids and say that Ipswich lads aren't up to it without giving them a chance.

the World Cup has little to do with development , it is an elite competition not some kind of school boy trial.

joshie

Live Update Team
I am disappointed as I am a very big international rugby league fan. But at the very same time until we have a stronger rugby league base around the world, this will happen.

American players should now be encouraged to push for new leadership
And a unification process before the 2017 World Cup and continue playing. By leaving or going back to rugby union then that reverses everything and this will continue to keep happening.

I play European handball in Australia, I know how it feels but that does not stop anyone from advocating for better leadership and selecting real Australians in national sides.

Last edited:

deluded pom?

Coach
I am disappointed as I am a very big international rugby league fan. But at the very same time until we have a stronger rugby league base around the world, this will happen.

American players should now be encouraged to push for new leadership
And a unification process before the 2017 World Cup and continue playing. By leaving or going back to rugby union then that reverses everything and this will continue to keep happening.

I play European handball in Australia, I know how it feels but that does not stop anyone from advocating for better leadership and selecting real Australians in national sides.

I agree, it's a kick in the balls for the domestic players who could and should have been selected but we are where we are and nothing's going to change now. I'd encourage players like the Clark's and others who feel aggrieved and disappointed to throw in their lot with the USARL (if it is logistically and financially viable for them to do so) rather than walk away from RL completely. Although I would totally understand if that's what they chose to do. This way the AMNRL will virtually collapse and the RLIF would then have to hand control of RL in the USA to the USARL who, judging by their outrage, would do the right thing by their domestic players if the USA were good enough to find themselves appearing at the next WC finals.

MR KNIGHT

Juniors
USA just beat #4 France.

However you spin it - that is a great shot in the arm for USA Rugby League.

Certainly has blown apart the theory that the team would get beat up anyway, so you may as well do it with all domestic players.

There is always disappointment when a team is picked for an elite competition. Ask any basketballer who missed out when the Dream Team was picked when the pros became available. At the end of the day you pick the best available.

As usual the haters who ride on the coat tails will still hate. The irony is they will get more publicity for the team doing well!

USA just beat #4 France.

Certainly has blown apart the theory that the team would get beat up anyway, so you may as well do it with all domestic players.

There is always disappointment when a team is picked for an elite competition. Ask any basketballer who missed out when the Dream Team was picked when the pros became available. At the end of the day you pick the best available.

As usual the haters who ride on the coat tails will still hate. The irony is they will get more publicity for the team doing well!

Havent Seen Anything IN the USA Media... So good going with that theory.

IowaRL

Juniors
On Bleacherreport, which is the sports section on CNN when I jump on my phone, the latest news on Rugby League is the ESL grand final. Nothing about this win, I wonder why...

spinnerhowland

Juniors
USA just beat #4 France.

You're right, it will get lots of coverage overseas in the countries where the game is popular and known...but explain to me how this helps develop the game in the USA?? And please dont tell me it will bring more players here to play because we have more than enough guys from the UK and OZ who send emails to all the teams here than we can use already. And to be honest, some of them lose interest pretty quickly once they find out they are not gunna get paid.

And dont tell me it will help with dollars from sponsorships either because as soon as any company does and ROI study on the game here, they will learn it is not in any main media stream.

Having a handful of locals guys would have opened up a HUGE opportunity for domestic teams to get local sponsors, fans would have cared more if they knew a few guys, and the players would not have that sense that they just got done over.

I honestly want to know how this artifically inflated team of heritage players will in any way effect the development of the game in the USA? And do you think it will do more positive things that could have been done with using a handful of the KNOWN local players?

I honestly want to know how this artifically inflated team of heritage players will in any way effect the development of the game in the USA? And do you think it will do more positive things that could have been done with using a handful of the KNOWN local players?

The Giants won their first game of the season and are 1-6. That will get more coverage in Siberia, then the USA winning a game in the World Cup against the cook islands or wales, will get in the USA. There is no story to tell. Since there is no hometown story to tell coupled with the fact no one knows what the sport is, there will be no coverage.

The Giants won their first game of the season and are 1-6. That will get more coverage in Siberia, then the USA winning a game in the World Cup against the cook islands or wales, will get in the USA. There is no story to tell. Since there is no hometown story to tell coupled with the fact no one knows what the sport is, there will be no coverage.

-- Unless David Niu runs on the field with a firearm and starts shooting the other team, and then maybe then there will be something on Piers Morgan's CNN Show.

Western_Eel

Juniors
Guys I can understand your frustration but i think you are better supporting the team during the cup and exposing it as much as you can over there because what your doing is not helping the game there and before you attack me with your comments im not supporting their selection process in any way i Just think for the good of the game you should not be bagging out a developing nations team to any potential supporters,

I understand the problem needs to be fixed but it cant and wont happen now, What needs to be fixed needs to happen straight after the world cup so it doesn't happen again!

MrAnonymous

Bench
Guys I can understand your frustration but i think you are better supporting the team during the cup and exposing it as much as you can over there because what your doing is not helping the game there and before you attack me with your comments im not supporting their selection process in any way i Just think for the good of the game you should not be bagging out a developing nations team to any potential supporters,

I understand the problem needs to be fixed but it cant and wont happen now, What needs to be fixed needs to happen straight after the world cup so it doesn't happen again!

This

Stop being little f**king bitches because players from your shit D grade league wont be in the world cup.

Support your team, whoever the f**k is in it.

Eel... It's not me. I can never go along with something that is wrong and actively works against me.

If this was decision that was voted on by the clubs here in the USA and this was the decision, sure Id get behind it.... but it wasnt.

---

Take it this way eel.... when I get behind something... I really get behind it. I throw a big event for it... I did this with the NRL Grand Final... Getting 50-100 People packed in a Bar on a Sunday Morning with a pre-fix breakfast menu, promoting it to all the Union, Mens, Women and other random people/fans.

If I were to do that here in this situation we I would get laughed at.... None of my players support this team (not because they were not picked but because no one was picked), then you try to explain it to a fan or a college kid it looks like a big fkn joke... so Like i said I cant get behind it.

Last edited:

Latest posts